Turn on thread page Beta

The Official 2009 Results Day Vomit Inducing Countdown Thread (20th August) watch

ReputationRep:
    Im glad ive managed to get a day off from work, gives me time to relax with my friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Closer*)
    I was one of those people at AS! (239 instead of 240) really knocked me confidence.. but on the other hand it cant happen to me again surely?!
    That happened to me for my January resit in Psychology, ended up resitting another paper in it just to try and hopefully boost it!

Hopefully thanks to the resits, I'll be sitting on 3 A's.

Hmmm is it me or are resits a godsend... I know I'd be nothing without it LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    Hmmm is it me or are resits a godsend... I know I'd be nothing without it LOL
    :no:
    Not in my case. I'm worried as we're the last lot doing the old spec stuff (and pretty much everyone that was resitting AS units was in A2 and will technically be better at the subject on the whole) so the boundaries will probably be higher than usual. I'm probably being overly pessimistic and all but thats what kept going through my mind each time I resat a paper! This probably isn't true for essay type subjects, but is probably the case for science subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Are you likely to get a higher UMS grade in a resit than when you take an exam the first time around? If the UMS system is based on how well people do in the exam overall, if less people do the resit paper than the original paper, will it be marked less harshly? (I'm not sure if that makes sense but I seem to remember one of my teachers saying something along those lines..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [Shea])
    Are you likely to get a higher UMS grade in a resit than when you take an exam the first time around?
    Depends if you revised alot more/if the paper was easier for you/you felt more confident this time round/had a nicer examiner bla bla bla...

If the UMS system is based on how well people do in the exam overall, if less people do the resit paper than the original paper, will it be marked less harshly? (I'm not sure if that makes sense but I seem to remember one of my teachers saying something along those lines..)
    Marking should be the same each time (atleast they say it is on the markschemes) therefore there really shouldn't be much difference in mark allocations even if less people sit the paper. The reason its evident that people tend to do better with resits is pretty much down to one of the aforementioned reasons.

You've sorta answered the question yourself though - the UMS system is based on how well people do in the exam overall (as are the boundaries) so if you generally have a high callibre of students doing one paper/the paper was really easy then boundaries are raised and vice versa. Don't know what your teacher was on about tbh, but i doubt its validity.

ReputationRep:
    I got 211, 210, 211 for my AS subjects (BBB) and need BBC to get in. However, I may end up getting CCC and will be my worst nightmare. I'm not that concerned about them, to be honest. It will grow with time, I'm sure. Poor AAB/AAA people, you must think that BBC is a walk in the park!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicine Man)
    :no:
    Not in my case. I'm worried as we're the last lot doing the old spec stuff (and pretty much everyone that was resitting AS units was in A2 and will technically be better at the subject on the whole) so the boundaries will probably be higher than usual. I'm probably being overly pessimistic and all but thats what kept going through my mind each time I resat a paper! This probably isn't true for essay type subjects, but is probably the case for science subjects.
    Hmmm maybe they will, but I really itching to see them results now along with the grade boundaries! 23 days...think about it, by next week there will be 16 days :\ ....... :eek: :eek3: :eek:

ReputationRep:
    23 days still seems a long way off to me!
    Me and my friend will be staying up on results night to give each other moral support!

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh.
    My 18th birthday is the 19th of August, and I'm having a massive fancy dress party that night. Most people invited are in my year, which means it'll be a massive bundle of stressy stress. Ah well, hopefully I can get drunk enough not to care.

ReputationRep:
    Marking should be the same each time (atleast they say it is on the markschemes) therefore there really shouldn't be much difference in mark allocations even if less people sit the paper. The reason its evident that people tend to do better with resits is pretty much down to one of the aforementioned reasons.
    I guess that does make sense, I've never really understood the UMS system :rolleyes: I just thought that maybe as people may not remember the material as well as when they took the first paper, and all the super-clever people who nailed the paper the first time round wouldn't resit and raise the overall standard, that the general standard and consequent UMS might be a bit lower.

I think I'm just trying to convince myself that I'll get a better grade to stop myself worrying!

Rookie mistake :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    Same. What makes that suck even more is the fact that all my friends are on holiday so I'm stuck at home, on my own, doing nothing

I'm going to try and come up with a list of things to do each day so I keep myself reasonably busy - for example today I've cleaned out the chickens and I'm planning on sorting my room out for throwing out/charity shops/uni/loft. That's a major task so hopefully should take a few days Then I'm going to crack the saxophone out and try to learn some guitar.
    That sucks, all my mates have gone abroad too, unfortunately Icant go on planes the wait for landing is tooo long.

I made a list too (in my mind) buy flat screen hd 1080p tv & conect it to pc. Watch stuff all holidays. I got bored after two weeks.

Buy ps3 play loads of games, got bored in two hours.

Go for a walk, end up doing hardcore UMS calculations and make one mistake = panic kicks in. Run back home - walks = no good.

Go to town/shopping centres - been five times in two weeks - boring + expensive

Go to the cinema - yeah been watched , Star Trek (good film) Bruno (too short and crazy!) Night of the Museum 2 (aright film) and Moon (good movie). Costs wayy to much these days.

What I recently did was go to a carboot sale and buy a job lot of dummy phones which I put on ebay. Might get bored though.

ReputationRep:
    I guess that does make sense, I've never really understood the UMS system :rolleyes: I just thought that maybe as people may not remember the material as well as when they took the first paper, and all the super-clever people who nailed the paper the first time round wouldn't resit and raise the overall standard, that the general standard and consequent UMS might be a bit lower.

I think I'm just trying to convince myself that I'll get a better grade to stop myself worrying!

Rookie mistake :rolleyes:
    Well you might have a point - the people that are resitting won't have nailed the paper first time round so yeah. Wishful thinking ay! :p:

coming close now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilac!!)
    coming close now
    I know less then a month My heart is pounding

ReputationRep:
    the main reason why results day (being ages away) creates a nuisance is the fact that a lot of people awaiting results need them to determine the next step(s) in their lives

meh!

:afraid:

ReputationRep:
    :hi:

I just said a very lovely prayer tonight (or rather yesterday night) :angelwings: seeing as this week/next week pretty much decides our A Level results and hence what we'll be doing next year. I'm going to try and do this every night for the next two weeks :teeth: seeing as I can't do anything regarding my papers/results I’m getting, so hopefully 'Big Fluffy Guy on Cloud' can sort something decent out for me i.e. temporarily blinding whoever is marking my paper so that they don't see whatever rubbish I wrote, and rather moderate my papers leniently! Not too much to ask for is it? :puppyeyes:

In the next two weeks, everything (moderation/sorting out boundaries/checking for inconsistencies) will be completed and its only a matter of them (the exam boards) printing out the results slips and sending them to our schools (or uploading them on the Edexcel Results plus website in anticipation for the 20th). Just thinking about the fact that its pretty much done is making me sick tbh!
    :sick: :coma: :puke:

Calls for another prayer! :jebus:

Persistence you see! :p:

[Ignore my excessive smilie use - I just decided to go OTT with this post because I'm extra bored :bored:]
    :ninja2:

ReputationRep:
    :hi:

I just said a very lovely prayer tonight (or rather yesterday night) :angelwings: seeing as this week/next week pretty much decides our A Level results and hence what we'll be doing next year. I'm going to try and do this every night for the next two weeks :teeth: seeing as I can't do anything regarding my papers/results I’m getting, so hopefully 'Big Fluffy Guy on Cloud' can sort something decent out for me i.e. temporarily blinding whoever is marking my paper so that they don't see whatever rubbish I wrote, and rather moderate my papers leniently! Not too much to ask for is it? :puppyeyes:

In the next two weeks, everything (moderation/sorting out boundaries/checking for inconsistencies) will be completed and its only a matter of them (the exam boards) printing out the results slips and sending them to our schools (or uploading them on the Edexcel Results plus website in anticipation for the 20th). Just thinking about the fact that its pretty much done is making me sick tbh!
    :sick: :coma: :puke:

Calls for another prayer! :jebus:

Persistence you see! :p:

[Ignore my excessive smilie use - I just decided to go OTT with this post because I'm extra bored :bored:]
    :ninja2:
    aw bless you..i'm a theist too

I also believe though that what will be will be so i'm not too anxious

and smileys ftw :emog: :bubbles:
    ::woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgirl)
    I know less then a month My heart is pounding
    Tell me about it considering there's only 22 days left. I can't stop thinking about results day its always at the back of my mind. We only have 22 days left and this thread doesn't seem that busy. Where is the apprehension and concern? I need someone to pinch me because I can't come to terms with the fact that there are only 22 DAYS LEFT!!!!!!

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zay18)
    Tell me about it considering there's only 22 days left. I can't stop thinking about results day its always at the back of my mind. We only have 22 days left and this thread doesn't seem that busy. Where is the apprehension and concern? I need someone to pinch me because I can't come to terms with the fact that there are only 22 DAYS LEFT!!!!!!

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

lol i think youre the most anxious on the thread so far:p:

well youve been posting at crazy times[like me]

calm down hun:p:

ReputationRep:
    Almost three weeks. Whoa.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.