Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pitch correction and synthesisers have murdered pop music Watch

ReputationRep:
    Almost every song on any radio station / music channel has been made by those damn annoying synthesisers and the singer has had his or her voice so sharply changed by pitch correction software as they can't sing at all - pop music is dead.

Agree? :woo:

ReputationRep:
    was pop music ever alive?
    I thought it was soulless generic consumer orientated music?

ReputationRep:
    Pop music effectively (IMO) died in the 50's.

pop music, imo has always been awful.

ReputationRep:
    I used to agree when I was a child, nowadays the musics grown on me and the musicians are getting more interesting and fun. Check out Calvin Harris!!1111

ReputationRep:

Check that out :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Synthesisers used for mass produced badly written pop music = ****

Synthesisers used well = the bee's knees

Learn to differentiate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)

That is friggin' awesome

ReputationRep:
    the murdered it like a pig in an abbatoire *RIP porky*

ReputationRep:
    Would you rather hear this **** with out of key singing? Let's face it, anybody with a sense of musical merit isn't going to make generic music.

ReputationRep:
    I just see it as another form of instrument (the altered voice) and enjoy the music anyway. I listen to pop for the catchy tunes rather than the talent. But for this reason I would avoid seeing pop artists live. The bands I enjoy live aren't the ones I listen to much at home oddly enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)

Lol, will +rep you tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    ********. only the guitar could do that

ReputationRep:
    Pop music is dead only in the eyes of snobs who refuse to accept anything they do not see as adequately "sophisticated" or "intelligent" enough for them. There are still many people who love it so like it or not, it is alive and well thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with your implication that synthesizers kill music. As someone pointed out, use it well, it's great.
    It's ******* Autotune.

That **** needs to die in a fire.

ReputationRep:
    In that case, Cher made the first major strike... :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Actually there's nothing wrong with synths, they are widely used in rock music and even jazz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tam_Diman)
    In that case, Cher made the first major strike... :holmes:
    Yeah, it's a well known industry secret.
    Cher was the first to use autotune, but people were told her voice was vocoded. :gigg:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mauWGQZt8TE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrpBvdr20-s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7bKx0-shPI

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Would you rather hear this **** with out of key singing? Let's face it
    Yeah, let's face it. It's the third time I'm posting this here, and I swear I'm gonna keep on going until people won't stop saying bull-Schnitzel like this. Really.

Auto-Tune requires certain pitch and you certainly cannot be tone deaf to make it work and get the desired 'T-Pain effect'. You can't just go in and drop a stanza that's totally off-key, then run it through an Auto-Tune VST and become Mariah-*******-Carey

If you won't hit certain notes, Auto-Tune won't help you to get the 'T-Pain effect'. It might remove some single off-key notes by bypassing them, but then you need to tell Auto-Tune what notes does it have to ignore and you have to have hit that certain note in question. This, on a different note, doesn't create the 'T-Pain effect'. The effect mentioned is chiefly about removing smooth glides between notes - human voice due to its nature cannot change pitch immediately, you always have that short phase when the voice 'glides' or 'slides' from one formant to another. 'T-Pain effect' removes that phase, toggling immediate pitch shifts in speech/singing, hence the 'robotic', unnatural effect.

BTW: I'd say most of the innovations in pop music came because someone had balls to use some equipment in a different way than it has been indended - Jimi Hendrix and his overdriven guitars thanks to amps on borderline-crump settings spring to mind. And synthesizers? They're a blessing. Otherwise we'd have to listen to the bland, guitar-driven hominy over and over again. Synths expand the sonic possibilities tremendously.

Thank you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.