Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am in year 11 and I am soon going to have my English Oral, where I have to give a short informative talk about anything that I want. The only trouble is, is that i am REALLY shy, and I am really worried about doing it. I know that I will mess it up, and give a really boring talk about something that everyone thinks is boring or stupid. Whenever I speak in front of a lot of people I am sure that everyone is laughing at me, plus I know that everyone will be watching me really carefully because I dont usually talk in class. Does anyone have any tips for how I should prepare or what to talk about? Please xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onlylittleme)
    I am in year 11 and I am soon going to have my English Oral, where I have to give a short informative talk about anything that I want. The only trouble is, is that i am REALLY shy, and I am really worried about doing it. I know that I will mess it up, and give a really boring talk about something that everyone thinks is boring or stupid. Whenever I speak in front of a lot of people I am sure that everyone is laughing at me, plus I know that everyone will be watching me really carefully because I dont usually talk in class. Does anyone have any tips for how I should prepare or what to talk about? Please xxx
    I know exactly how you feel! I hate public speaking as well but you can get through it, it'll be OK They won't be laughing at you - they might just be really interested in what you have to say. I'd suggest you pick a topic that's really close to your heart and that you know a lot about: if you're really enthusiastic about it, it won't be boring. Plus, you might find it easier to talk about if it's something you enjoy and if there are questions you'll find them simpler to deal with.

ReputationRep:
    i can totally sympathise, i used to be the same.
    as MadNatSci said, pick something ur really interested in. forget everyone else, don't conform to them or their opinions, concentrate on yourself and do what u want to do.
    if classmembers do look at u intently, it's bound to be because, as u said, ur shy and don't speak often - it's evidently because they're interested to hear an opinion of someone that maybe they don't know very much about.
    sit down on ur own n think objectively, if u could talk about one thing in the world, what would it be? talk about the very first thing that comes into your mind - this way, u'll not be half as daunted when faced with telling other people about it, because it's something u love to share with others.
    i was just like this when i was in yr 11 - i used to hate public speaking, dreaded doing it, and i hardly said a word in class. then i did one presentation, knew i couldn't get out of it, and did exactly what i suggested you do. i had the same concerns but just went ahead and it gave me so much confidence! i'm now applying for english at uni n public speaking doesn't worry me at all because i realised my opinion is just as valid as everyone elses.
    good luck, u can do it!

ReputationRep:
    i did my english oral on the events taking place in iraq because i thought its be really easy to do. It was extremely easy and i didnt get shy at all. I had to do it with 4 other people...so it was ok.Dont be nervous though, just let it flow naturally!

ReputationRep:
    Best thing to do is to get a friend in the class to smile at you constantly while you're saying your piece. Just look at them the whole time. If that's a problem, then speak to something like a clock on the wall. Just speak to that, not the class. That way, you won't realise that they're there. Even better, if you can get something to give around, like photos, during your speech, it takes the attention of the class off you slightly. Anyway, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    poor little thing i understand how you feel im still the same now and im 24 you will be fine , just stand up there and do your speech base your speech on something you know ie ; internet ,, how usefull and helpful it is or how dangerous the net is if you are not supervised ie chat rooms are very dangerous especially for young girls ,,,because older men come into childrens chat rooms and then persuade them to meet up .... you will be fine

ReputationRep:
    Don't think about your shyness, get up there and be dynamic, if you stand just still while doing it, your shyness will only increase.
    Remember, its not if the class likes it, its how you deliver it

ReputationRep:
    hi
    i no wot u mean. i have my english oral on tuesday and i have had 2 put it together at the last minute - its on slavery which some people hink is boring, but i feel really strongly about. Ask your friends e.t.c for ideas that they would like to hear about or think would be intresting. Someone I knew did one on date-rape drugs and as we are never told about that in school it was really really intresting. Also do something you are really into or feel strongly about. It doesn't matter what other people think as long as you think it is good and will get you a high mark. If you find it intresting, it is extremely likely that the rest of ur class will find it intresting as well.
    Good luck with it
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    If you're too shy to talk, then you're obviously not cut out for English. Give up on it now and expect a bad grade. Concentrate on something you're good at.

ReputationRep:
    it's not neccessarily true that if ur shy ur not cut out for english.
    i used to be shy but i'm really good at the subject,
    u just need something or someone to boost ur confidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_musical_git)
    If you're too shy to talk, then you're obviously not cut out for English. Give up on it now and expect a bad grade. Concentrate on something you're good at.
    Nah, totally not true. Being able to communicate through written work is what gets you most of the marks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help I'm still not sure what to do and am terrified! Both my sister and my mother are really confident so they dont understand and refuse to let me practise in front of them.

On a different note, is it true that if I cannot speak publicly I wont be able to continue with english because I was going to take English Literature for AS level next year and now I am not so sure.

Thanks for all your help xxx

ReputationRep:
    On a different note, is it true that if I cannot speak publicly I wont be able to continue with english because I was going to take English Literature for AS level next year and now I am not so sure.
    No, I'm pretty sure it isn't.

I think that it's very silly having a speaking component as part of GCSE coursework. It is a measure of someone's character, not their ability at English, and is thus wrong. And I'm saying that as someone who loves public speaking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meepmeep)
    Best thing to do is to get a friend in the class to smile at you constantly while you're saying your piece. Just look at them the whole time. If that's a problem, then speak to something like a clock on the wall. Just speak to that, not the class. That way, you won't realise that they're there. Even better, if you can get something to give around, like photos, during your speech, it takes the attention of the class off you slightly. Anyway, good luck.
    Thats excellent advice, espicially the photo thing!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you did your oral on Fair Trade or something you could pass around peices of chocolate. Lol, just a thought

ReputationRep:
    if u really love english, go for it!
    it's a fantastic subject to study at AS and A2, take it from me!
    practise in front of a few friends or even get your teacher to give u 20mins of his/her time.
    don't let the public speaking aspect of it get you down.
    in my classes now there are still a few people who hardly speak, if u love the subject then there should be nothing stopping u.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, English is the BEST subject to study at ALevel - its even better than at GCSE

Btw, hi press2play, nice to see another prospective English uni student What unis have you applied to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acid_Rain)
    Yep, English is the BEST subject to study at ALevel - its even better than at GCSE

Btw, hi press2play, nice to see another prospective English uni student What unis have you applied to?
    hi!
    i've applied to bristol, warwick, cardiff, UWE, reading n gloucester!
    i know university of gloucestershire may seem a little random but it's because it's 10mins down the road! lol.
    i'm really panicking about the rest tho cos i think i'm aiming too high!
    how about you??

ReputationRep:
    Warwick, York, Manchester, UEA, Exeter, & Southampton.

I'm also worrying that I have aimed too high, lol. I only sent the form off about two weeks ago and as I've had no replies yet I'm terrified that none of them will want me :rolleyes:

Yours look like a nice range of choices though, and I'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acid_Rain)
    Warwick, York, Manchester, UEA, Exeter, & Southampton.

I'm also worrying that I have aimed too high, lol. I only sent the form off about two weeks ago and as I've had no replies yet I'm terrified that none of them will want me :rolleyes:

Yours look like a nice range of choices though, and I'm sure you'll be fine
    Thanks for the vote of confidence! Yours look like good choices too (esp Warwick lol) I was going to apply to Exeter.. can't remember why I didn't. Anyways.
    I only sent my UCAS form off last week! My damned English Teacher just would not sit down and write my reference!
    Let me know if you hear from Warwick?! lol jus so my paranoia can reach it's heights!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.