Turn on thread page Beta

If your parents paid for everything for you at uni - would you still get a job? watch

I've been working in a part-time job that I HATE for the past 2 months. My mum pulled strings with her boss to get me the job after failing to get any of the 50+ jobs I applied for this summer. I didn't apply for the money, I just wanted to improve my social skills and get some experience to put on my CV.

Unexpectedly, as soon as I got my first paycheck, my parents cut me off. Usually if I went out or wanted something they would give me money. Now I am expected to pay for it myself.

I have a brother, 1 year younger than me, also at uni, but he doesn't work. My parents still happily give him money. He has made it clear that he doesn't plan on getting a job whilst at uni.

I am starting to think my bro has the right attitude. I have spoken to my parents and they agreed that if I don't like my job I should quit as they do not want to see me unhappy but that I should not quit because of the money situation, because 'the experience is worth more than the money.'

I am honestly really unhappy in my job, but the idea that I can get money from my parents without working is obviously a contributing factor. I know it will be almost impossible for me to get a another job too. I don't know what to do??!

ReputationRep:
    I did. It's completely selfish to expect them to work to pay for your eduction and social life and for you to just say "nah hate the job, the rents can cover it."

Great attitude.

ReputationRep:
    I think you have got completely the wrong attitude. Parents arn't there to support you financially, you should be trying to make your own way yourself.
    Its not easy, but you will have the satisfaction knowing that you have earnt it for yourself and sorted it.

This is only a summer job, and as its not in term time shouldn't affect your studies.

ReputationRep:
    You must be joking?! That's only what spoilt brats who go to public and private schools think :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    So you'd rather sit on your arse just being given the cash to be a lazy sod, rather than the satisfaction of being able to know that you worked for that pay cheque?

Dear Lord.

ReputationRep:
    I have to pay for everything but rent and food etc.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are paying for everything for me when I go to uni.
    I still plan to get a job because I feel I should become more independent. And they shouldn't really have to pay for all my social spending. Even though they sort of do now. But I guess uni is a time for changes =)

ReputationRep:
    hmmm as a person who will acutally need to get a job, i would say in this current climate dont get a job when you going to uni if it means you are going to be taking it off someone who potentially needs it to live on? That is on the presumtion your parents are gonna pay everything then

ReputationRep:
    My parents stopped giving me money when i got a paper round at 13! I never would expect any money from them. I will be financing my own education next year and pay rent at the moment while im at home. You have it easy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slightlyoddchild)
    hmmm as a person who will acutally need to get a job, i would say in this current climate dont get a job when you going to uni if it means you are going to be taking it off someone who potentially needs it to live on? That is on the presumtion your parents are gonna pay everything then

Surely, if your getting a job at uni, you need it to live off as well?

ReputationRep:
    You're in college now, and you've got a job... something a lot of people would die for. Time to get off your parents' tits. Who knows, you could even get a character if you manage to stick through it.

ReputationRep:
    My situation is kinda the opposite to you

My dad used to give me some money every time I saw him (every two weeks) I then got a job a Tesco to save up for uni and when I see him he still gives me money

I was quite suprised that he still did as I was earning full-time wages

ReputationRep:
    I would refuse to take my parents money and get myself a job tbh I dont like the Idea of not payng my way through uni because I want to be independant and have a bit of self respect.

ReputationRep:
    and your brother will be in the **** later on when mummy and daddy arent there to pay for everything

ReputationRep:
    Just to bring up something, Oxford and Cambridge do not allow you to keep a job during term time, and if they find out they ask you to quit or else. So some people (i.e. Oxbridgians) would not realistically be able to support themselves through a job.

Personally, grants/bursaries/student loans are sufficient to cover my expenses (actually, more than sufficient), so I wouldn't need a job per se, and of course the 'rents will chip in if needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    If your parents paid for everything for you at uni - would you still get a job?
    They do, and I don't. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pamelaa)
    I have to pay for everything but rent and food etc.
    I have to pay for everything PLUS rent and food. Sigh.
    (Although rent is covered by student loan, just).

ReputationRep:
    My parents are helping me out but I want a part-time job for the experience and extra cash. I have enough to get by but not enough as I'd like as I can't afford to go out that often and I need to completely renew my wardrobe coz I've dropped nearly 2 dress sizes lol (Primark!). I already have 2 volunteer jobs: one in a uni bar and the other that's an optional thing of my course. I applied to a lot of places this summer but no luck. I'm going to print off a load of CVs and dish them out when I get back to uni before the freshers move in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    You must be joking?! That's only what spoilt brats who go to public and private schools think :rofl:
    Sweeping statement! :P I was privately educated, my parents worked their asses off for every penny to get me through it...and now I'm at uni I support myself fully without asking them for anything. The fact they paid for my education is enough...

just saying, please don't assume we all just get mummy and daddy to pay for everything...

ReputationRep:
    I'm into my overdraft...badly. Can't find a job

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.