Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If your parents paid for everything for you at uni - would you still get a job? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been working in a part-time job that I HATE for the past 2 months. My mum pulled strings with her boss to get me the job after failing to get any of the 50+ jobs I applied for this summer. I didn't apply for the money, I just wanted to improve my social skills and get some experience to put on my CV.

Unexpectedly, as soon as I got my first paycheck, my parents cut me off. Usually if I went out or wanted something they would give me money. Now I am expected to pay for it myself.

I have a brother, 1 year younger than me, also at uni, but he doesn't work. My parents still happily give him money. He has made it clear that he doesn't plan on getting a job whilst at uni.

I am starting to think my bro has the right attitude. I have spoken to my parents and they agreed that if I don't like my job I should quit as they do not want to see me unhappy but that I should not quit because of the money situation, because 'the experience is worth more than the money.'

I am honestly really unhappy in my job, but the idea that I can get money from my parents without working is obviously a contributing factor. I know it will be almost impossible for me to get a another job too. I don't know what to do??!
    hi, um got 2 ideas for you, either stick with this job whilst looking for another, though that means until you find another you'll be stuck doing something you hate,

or maybe you could quit and do some sort of volunteering or unpayed work experience so you get the stuff you want from a job (experience and CV, and social skills) and maybe your parents would agree to fund you, plus it need only be short term a weeks worth or something? (volunteering looks very good on cv)

however, i'm sure you could find a job you like and that way everyones happy

also if you really hate working say you think your studies may suffer if you work, might pacify your parents

hope this helps + good luck (and realise how lucky you are to have parents able to give you money/get you jobs!)

ReputationRep:
    What a brat. You seriously need to grow up. My parents would pay everything for me, they do my brother who is nearly 18 because he won't get a job, my parents were quite happy to buy me a car etc. but I don't like it. In fact I have yet to meet someone who reaches about 17/18 who actually enjoys sponging off their parents :/.

Don't you enjoy just having the money there for you to spend on whatever?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Unexpectedly, as soon as I got my first paycheck, my parents cut me off. Usually if I went out or wanted something they would give me money. Now I am expected to pay for it myself.

You know, there are thousands of us whose parents haven't supported us at all financially, and have to work for every penny we can get... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    WOW!! You've just discovered something called "The Real World"!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Stick with it.
    Even if you don't really need the money, I think you'll regret it if you get to the end of the degree and have nothing else on your CV other than the same degree that thousands of other people all vying for graduate positions also have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Pieb)
    Surely, if your getting a job at uni, you need it to live off as well?
    what me? yeah i do, but i think if i was unable to find one or was really really struggling for money i think they would help me out abit until iw as back on my feet, whereas some people have no back up if they dont get a job.
    i dont know if thats what you were asking, i didnt quite understand :s

To be honest I don't know why you people are slamming people who get money from their parents. Is it not a good thing that the parents care that much to still put money towards their offspring even though they have no obligation to? Because personally I think it's a very nice thing for the parents to do and you shouldnt knock it just because the majority of parents don't/can't keep paying out now their offspring is at uni because thats exactly what you are doing.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you're one of the "I'll take the easy route, please" people. Personally, I would. I hate spongeing off my parents, even when I really have to i.e. I haven't a single penny, I feel awful.

Yes but if it is there why not take it I personally just consider people who preach agaisnt it to be jealous because they can't have parents to help them with finance. The way I see it is all fair game because its not like you are lounging around doing nothing with your life your in education which is very worthwhile and way more so than some crappy job stacking shelves at sainsburys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slightlyoddchild)
    what me? yeah i do, but i think if i was unable to find one or was really really struggling for money i think they would help me out abit until iw as back on my feet, whereas some people have no back up if they dont get a job.
    i dont know if thats what you were asking, i didnt quite understand :s

It wasn't a dig at you, just a general response to your post. I meant, if your parents aren't/don't support you through uni and you look for a job, why should you have to give it up to somone who isn't in uni, because they need the money to live, when you do just as much as they do.

ReputationRep:
    Duh, it's obvious. Have a job you hate and have to pay for everything yourself vs. Don't work and get everything paid for.

Working's for suckers, mate.

ReputationRep:
    Oh please at everyone judging this guy for wanting to quit his job. If his parents can afford it than why shouldn't they support him financially?? My mum helps me out now and again while I'm at uni, I'm her child who else is going to help me? For all of you who have taken a gap year or gone travelling for example who footed that bill? I would be very suprised if you payed for ALL of it yourselves.

ReputationRep:
    My dad pays for my fees and my accomodation and i still have a job, it's nice to have another set of friends and something to at a weekend, and i get work at home too

ReputationRep:
    yeah i'd happily sit on my tod and instead of working use the time to study and get a better degree.
    if my parents can afford to and are happy to pay for it then why the hell not?
    Getting a first will be a hell of a lot more beneficial than getting a 2:1 and "experiencing having to do things for yourself"
    i'm pretty certain that if i can afford to live on my own with the 5 grand i earn annually then i'd be fine not working for a few years and then learning to do it with a graduate salary.

of course this is making assumptions that i'd get a first if i didn't work and i wouldn't if i didn't work, but you can't deny that an extra 20 hours a week that can be used studying would be a hell of a lot more beneficial than not having it

ReputationRep:
    ohhhh my dad pays for everything, and i did have a part time job during term time....sometimes you would want to go partying or buy clothes etc without the 'rents knowing...honestly its the best to have your own money..plus sometimes my dad does give me much and i would want more but to him what he has given me is enough, so my own money can be like an extra bit

tho this summer only had a short term job at next ....so been home, with no job doing nothing and my dad still gives me money!!! lol cnt be happier

ReputationRep:
    I have a job anytime I need it (at home). If my parents paid for things, yeah I'd still do the odd shift for the experience and social aspects.

ReputationRep:
    i wud coz at the end of the day i will hv 2 move away and start paying my own bills

ReputationRep:
    Quit and get jobseekers allowance, its £50 a week (I think).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Pieb)
    It wasn't a dig at you, just a general response to your post. I meant, if your parents aren't/don't support you through uni and you look for a job, why should you have to give it up to somone who isn't in uni, because they need the money to live, when you do just as much as they do.
    ohh right nawwwh thats not what i was saying at all!! what i meant to get across was, if your parents are offering to pay you through uni, then taking into account the fact there are so few jobs, you should take the money from your parents and not get a job, so that people who arent getting money from their parents have a chance at getting a job becuase they are the ones who dont have a choice and acutally need it to survive.
    if there was a surfeit of jobs it wouldnt matter, but seeing as there are its more important that people who cant eat without them get them, rather than those who dont acutally need it and are jsut doing it for the experience?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.