Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

nail varnish, attractive or not? Watch

• View Poll Results: Is nail varnish attractive (in general)
    Male: yes its attractive
    8.59%
    Male: No not attractive
    3.13%
    Male: i've never even noticed/couldn't give a sh*t
    3.13%
    Female: I think it makes me/others attractive
    36.72%
    Female: I think it makes me/others unattractive
    5.47%
    Female: I don't care, i wear/don't wear it for own benefit
    42.97%

ReputationRep:
    i think it looks cool

dark purple nail varnish ftw

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to hear what people think of my toenails just now (image is attached). I got ideas from 8 different people and did all the nails different except the really little ones

Should I do my hands like this?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I always notice if people's nails are painted. I also hate to see unpainted toe nails, even if I'm just barefoot in the house, I always paint my toe nails.

I love an array of colours; I went through a period of always wearing reds and pinks, but depending on my outfit I wear dark/reds and sometimes blacks. Grey sounds really nice for nail varnish actually, may have to invest in some

Not sure if guys notice though. The only time my boyfriend ever really comments is if I'm wearing dark... "look at you, with your goth nails" or he's started to notice if they're a different colour or I've recently re-applied.

He also notices when I try to paint my nails drunk and drop a bottle on the floor. He also notices when my gay best friend tries to paint his toe nails mortal drunk and gets it on his bed sheets. But that's it really

It's a no no on guys for me. I'm picky about male hands anyway; long nails are horrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    It can look good dependent on colour and how well the nails are painted.
    Is the girl in your sig bruised?

ReputationRep:
    I love nail varnish i wear it most the time and like it to match my outfit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nouvelle_vague)
    Is the girl in your sig bruised?
    I don't know, but it looks like she may be.

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen painted nails as attractive....

I just like funkying them up Right now I'm pretty sure I've got every colour except green. I usually just pick two colours and alternate fingers. Right now I'm blue and orange :p:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know, but it looks like she may be.
    Maybe she's just got dirt on her knees :p:
    Who is she?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she's just got dirt on her knees :p:
    Who is she?
    Maybe
    She's Florence, from Florence and the Machine.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe
    She's Florence, from Florence and the Machine.
    NO!! Really? She looks so different from the last time I saw her! Then again, she probably only had dyed her hair...and was standing.

ReputationRep:
    I love it on girls who wear long blue/grey cardigans and/or they look all indie and stuff, like the twins from skins :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I think coral toenails look gorgeous with sandals - fingernails I don't usually bother with, I just buff them to make them shiny

ReputationRep:
    NO!! Really? She looks so different from the last time I saw her! Then again, she probably only had dyed her hair...and was standing.
    Yeah her hair seems much brighter and more orange now, suits her though I reckon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    I think it looks cheap and a bit chavy especially on the toe nails.
    wow i don't agree. I would never get my feet out without painted toenails. I always wear it on my toes, not as much on my fingers because it chips too easily and grows out fast but I occasionaly do.

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand to have unpainted toenails. I like a french manicure on my fingernails, just makes them look tidier and neater.

ReputationRep:
    Nah I ALWAYS have red painted toes! its like having clean nickers on, if you get hit by a bus you want to look your best

ReputationRep:
    i really love nail polish, but as long as it's neat, tidy, not chipped etc. good quality basecoats (nailtek) and topcoats (seche vite) can make even the crappest nail polish look a bit better. as it draws attention to the hands though, it's nice to have your hands looked after too. the amount of times i've noticed someones nail polish, then saw overgrown cuticles, dry hands etc. i always have painted finger and toenails.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    I'd like to hear what people think of my toenails just now (image is attached). I got ideas from 8 different people and did all the nails different except the really little ones

Should I do my hands like this?
    please don't!!:eek:
    If you're under the age of 14, thats fine on your hands, but i just dont like that style on anyone older.

Fingernails need to be:
    Short
    Square
    Filed neatly
    Buffed-if you're going without polish
    if they're gonna be painted, I'd stick to these colours:
    black
    chocolate
    silvery-blue
    pastel pink
    dark blue
    neutral brown/pink

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OptomBee)
    please don't!!:eek:
    If you're under the age of 14, thats fine on your hands, but i just dont like that style on anyone older.

Fingernails need to be:
    Short
    Square
    Filed neatly
    Buffed-if you're going without polish
    if they're gonna be painted, I'd stick to these colours:
    black
    chocolate
    silvery-blue
    pastel pink
    dark blue
    neutral brown/pink
    Your advice is really good, but rather optimistic, I fear :o: Am I allowed anything sparkly, and can I draw a monkey on one fingernail, since it's been requested by one of my friends? :o:

ReputationRep:
    pictures on fingernails is fine - if you're a child...

i distinctly remember being a 14 year scene-kid and painting spiderman's face on one of my thumbnails *shudder* it was actually pretty good :p: but that's not the point...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.