Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to New York for the first time in a week, for 5 days.

I presume we will do all the touristy stuff like ... statue of liberty and all the rest. Hopefully we will go shopping a lot too We are staying in a Marriott hotel somewhere pretty central, I think.

Does anyone have some advice that they think would be usefull?
    We are hoping to get tickets for a broadway show when we are there, so does anyone know the best place to do this? Or where the best place for shopping is? - shops similar price range and style to abercrombie and fitch? Good places to eat would be helpful too!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to NY in a couple of weeks! Sorry i have no advice! lol But search new york as loads of people replied to my questions and were reli helpful! Have a good trip! X

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, I went their last year, and I would say that book the tickets for the boat that takes you to the Statue of Liberty early in the morning, or late in the evening for the next day. If you arrive in the middle of the day (like we did) then expect a long wait in the hot sun.

The shopping is great although last year the exchange rate was better. The Macy's department store (and others I would assume) has something like a 10-15% reduction if you're foreign for tax reasons but only if you ask at the information stand.

There are some really nice bars where you can buy a good cooked breakfast for relatively cheaply, so I would advise doing that. Overall it's a beautiful city, and the shopping is really good, and cheap so have fun.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there :]

I went to New York in jan of this year
    You will have an amazing time!!!

Go and see a show :] i saw Billy Elliot and it was great. we got our tickets from the box office at billy elliot, so i assume all the others are the same. however at times square there is a ticket booth thing which offers discounts and a few tickets for a set price kinda thing, so that maybe worth checking out?

Do the open top bus!! you see everything and can hop on and hop off as much as you like! i think its called hop on hop off bus actually!

go to the rockafella center and 5th avene, however thats dead expensive ahha!

go on the boat which takes you on a tour of the whole of new york and passing the statue of liberty!

times square is a must, but i think your hotel is quite near that

oh and be a real tourist and go to central park on a horse and cart!!

there is so much to do :]
    hope you have a fab time

Fern x

ReputationRep:
    go to a Broadway show! Mary Poppins is currently on I think. China town for some bargains, take a ferry to Ellis island, on the way you can see the Statue of Liberty.

ReputationRep:
    For a broadway show I would go to the TKTS booth in Times Square. Go to www.tdf.org for more info on that. You might have to stand in line for a while but its well worth the wait to get tickets for half price. And the seats aren't crappy either. They tend to give you good seats. I think the booth opens at 3 pm. I would reccomend getting in line at least an hour or two early. It might sound like a long wait but there are so many things to just look at in Times Square that the time will fly by.

I just got back from NYC a couple weeks ago and may I reccomend the play "In the Heights". It was awesome. I think it won best musical for 2008. Make sure to brush up on your Spanish before you go, though!

ReputationRep:
    My friend is going to NY in a couple of days for the third time in a year, primarily (from how she goes on about it) for a clothes shop called Forever 21. I just googled it and it lookes high profile, sure you'll find it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by never_ending)
    My friend is going to NY in a couple of days for the third time in a year, primarily (from how she goes on about it) for a clothes shop called Forever 21. I just googled it and it lookes high profile, sure you'll find it.
    No need to go to NYC for that. There's a F21 in every mall in America.

ReputationRep:
    Century 21 is good for shopping. World Trade Center subway, line E iirc.

Do a search for more advice.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to fit loads of stuff in then the bus tour really is the way to go. There's an uptown and downtown one or a ticket that combines the two and various attractions. It does sound really touristy but if you do that then you get to see pretty much every thing and have an idea of which areas you want to explore in greater depth. After that you should spend some time just wandering about, Greenwich Village and SoHo are fun to explore as is Chinatown.

Food wise unless your hotel has breakfast included then go out for it. There's loads of cheap cafe/diner places that won't rip you off like a hotel and that sell lovely food.

If you don't mind spending the extra money then do the 'Skyride' at the Empire State Building. It's like a virtual tour of NYC and pretty cool. Also going to Liberty Island is pretty dull especially as you can't climb the statue but the boat does stop at the Ellis Island Immigration Museum which is really interesting. If you want to save cash and aren't interested in the museum then skip the proper boat ride and just go on the free Staten Island Ferry to get a look from a distance.

Hope that helps a bit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Century 21 is good for shopping. World Trade Center subway, line E iirc.

Do a search for more advice.
    I hated Century 21 but then again I went there 2 years ago, I didn't go to that store when I went last November.

As everyone else has said OP 5th Avenue is pretty good and I found some great stores near Times Square and Macy's ooh and Macy's!!

Go up the Empire State Building and I've told other people this its a shame your not going in Winter coz you could have done ice skating in Central Park!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey mates, I was in school in NY for a number of years so I have some advice and also feel free to ask questions if you'd like!

I put a * next to the things I particularly recommend.

THINGS TO DO and PLACES TO SEE - NYC

Shows
    *The 39 Steps
    Avenue Q
    Chicago
    *Billy Elliot
    Fuerza Bruta
    Hair
    In the Heights
    Jersey Boys
    Lion King
    Our Town
    *Sessions

Attractions (for Music)
    *92nd Street Y
    Apollo Theatre
    *Bargemusic
    Beacon Theatre
    Brooklyn Academy of Music
    David H. Koch Theater
    Delacorte Theater
    **Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts

Museums
    American Folk Museum
    *American Museum of Natural History
    Ellis Island Immigration Museum
    *Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum
    Louis Armstrong House Museum
    *Rose Center for Earth and Space

Zoos
    New York Aquarium
    Bronx Zoo
    *Brooklyn Botanic Garden
    *Central Park Zoo
    Alley Pond Environmental Centre

Galleries & Art Museums
    Daniel Reich Gallery
    The Frick Collection
    Neue Galerie
    *The Metropolitan Museum of Art
    *The Museum of Modern Art
    Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, Smithsonian
    New York Hall of Science
    *Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
    Whitney Museum of American Art

Places to Visit - Buildings/Parks
    Brooklyn Bridge
    *Brooklyn Heights Promenade
    *The Cathedral of St. John the Divine
    *Central Park
    Chrysler Building
    The Cloisters
    The Flatiron Building
    Green-Wood Cemetery
    *The New York Public Library
    New York Stock Exchange
    *Saint Patrick's Cathedral
    *Washington Square Park

Other Cool Places
    *Astroland Amusement Park on Coney Island
    Chelsea Piers
    Rockefeller Center
    *The New York City Downtown Boathouse (free kyaking)
    *Sony Wonder Technology Lab
    *South Street Seaport
    *Statue of Liberty
    *Staten Island Ferry (free)
    United Nations

RESTAURANTS - NYC

Diners and Delis
    Carnegie John's - 56th St. nr. Seventh Ave.
    *Katz's Delicatessen - 205 E. Houston St.
    2nd Ave Deli - 162 E. 33rd St.
    Carnegie Deli - 854 Seventh Ave.

Dessert
    *The City Bakery - 3 W. 18th St.
    *Amy's Bread - 250 Bleecker St.
    *Veniero's - 342 E. 11th St.

Steakhouses
    *Blue Smoke - 116 E. 27th St.
    Dinosaur Bar-B-Que - 646 W. 131st St.

American
    *Gramercy Tavern - 42 E. 20th St.
    the little owl - 90 Bedford St.

Greek
    *Gus's Place - 192 Bleecker St.
    Molyvos - 871 Seventh Ave.

Pizza
    *Joe's Pizza - 7 Carmine St.
    *Lombardi's - 32 Spring St.
    Angelo's of Mulberry Street - 146 Mulberry St.
    John's Pizzeria - 278 Bleecker St.
    Totonno's Pizzeria Napolitano - 462 Second Ave.

Asian
    Shun Lee Palace - 155 E. 55th St.
    Woo Lae Oak - 148 Mercer St.
    Great NY Noodle Town - 28½ Bowery
    *Big Wong - 67 Mott St.
    Pho Viet Huong - 73 Mulberry St.

Burgers
    Shake Shack - 366 Columbus Ave.
    burger joint at Le Parker Meridien - 119 W. 56th St.
    *Corner Bistro - 331 W. Fourth St.

Italian
    *Grano Trattoria - 21 Greenwich Ave.
    *Il Cantinori - 32 E. 10th St.
    Patsy's - 236 W. 56th St.
    Otto - 1 Fifth Ave.

Other
    *Azuri Cafe - 465 W. 51st St. - (best falafel)
    Rosa Mexicano - 61 Columbus Ave. - (Mexican)
    Sevilla - 62 Charles St. - (Spanish)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.