Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by M_I)
    What do universities prefer and why? What are the advantags and disadvantages of doing one or the other? Ultimately, which one is the best? Thanks.
    Look, put it simply this.
    If you want to study broadly, have a rough idea of what you want to study but would like to keep your options open then do IB
    If you are pretty certain about what you want to do at Uni then pick A levels. It gets straight to the point and cuts any irrelevant **** out.
    Ultimately, if you know what you want to do (or are not offered a choice) - A levels.
    If not - IB
    I'd preferably like IB anyway. Broad based curricular was always a favourite of mine, given the choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CocoPop)
    I can quite confidently say that the average IB student is a lot stronger than the average A level student, and I'm not saying this in terms of how difficult the IB or A levels are. Basically all schools offering the IB are private/independent, upper class schools. Look at places like Sevenoaks and North London Collegiate school where only the best students go to do IB. These students on average tend to be a lot smarter/more motivated than the average A level student. Remember I'm talking about averages here, because we're discussing statistics.

Look at the percentage of people scoring As in the Sciences for A levels: http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm
    Physics - 31.8%
    Biology - 26.7%
    Chemistry - 33.5%

Now lets look at the IB HL Science percentages for people scoring 7s: http://www.scribd.com/doc/14874888/I...s-for-May-2008
    Physics - 8%
    Biology - 4%
    Chemistry - 10%

Even if you add up the percentages of people getting 7s OR 6s, it's still lower than the percentage of As!

Now please tell me, is it reasonable to offer one person AAA, whilst offering another person 40 points with 777 at HL?

Yes, and the percentage of people getting 7s in higher maths is 5-8%. Only the strongest mathematicians take it. The strongest of the strongest mathematicians take Further Maths at IB and again the percentage of 7s are 5-8%. We need to get 7s in maths and physics for Oxbridge. Oh, and we also have to get those grades for our 4 other subjects since the offers can go up to 43.

What I have to deal with is universities not having a clue what the IB is. My sister got an offer from Surrey of 30 points with 7s in her highers. When she told them she was predicted 7s in her highers they looked at her as if it was a mediocre score. They probably thought it was out of 10. There's a reason why US colleges (who properly understand the IB) allow IB students achieving 7s in their highers to graduate in 3 years as opposed to 4.

Maybe it's because IB'ers do 6 subjects opposed to 3, therefore less time to focus on what they actually want to study o_o?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.