Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

finding resistance training hard and confusing Watch

ReputationRep:
    My CV fitness has been my main aim since starting the weight loss, and had a review today and it was fab to see the results and how much i've improved in 3/4 months, i do DO resistance/toning at the gym...but its always as an after thought, and to break up my CV workout really.

Atm all i'm doing is

20kg, 12 reps x 3 of this pull thing machine, with 'lat' on it
    25kg, 15reps x 4 on the abducter, and then do 10 seconds x 3 of the plank

...and thats it!

Just after something easy and basic, i want to work on my arms, and stomach atm, as these are the areas which are now showing loose skin,. plus i find i never tend to get anything out of working my lower body, its always been a relatively toned area due to being a dancer eons ago.

I dont know the names of the machines, but there are free weights there? Just after some simple guidance/point in the right direction, now my CV is on the right path, i'd like to focus on toning now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    My CV fitness has been my main aim since starting the weight loss, and had a review today and it was fab to see the results and how much i've improved in 3/4 months, i do DO resistance/toning at the gym...but its always as an after thought, and to break up my CV workout really.

Atm all i'm doing is

...and thats it!

Just after something easy and basic, i want to work on my arms, and stomach atm, as these are the areas which are now showing loose skin,. plus i find i never tend to get anything out of working my lower body, its always been a relatively toned area due to being a dancer eons ago.

I dont know the names of the machines, but there are free weights there? Just after some simple guidance/point in the right direction, now my CV is on the right path, i'd like to focus on toning now
    Avoid machines. Use free weights. Squat, row, deadlift, press, bench, dip, chin and curl your heart out. Don't neglect your lower body. 3-5 reps on your heavy lifts, 6-12 on assistance work.

Squat, squat, squat!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Avoid machines. Use free weights. Squat, row, deadlift, press, bench, dip, chin and curl your heart out. Don't neglect your lower body. 3-5 reps on your heavy lifts, 6-12 on assistance work.

Squat, squat, squat!

you could interpret all that for the lay person? this is why i find it hard confusing, terms like

Squat, row, deadlift, press, bench, dip, chin and curl your heart out
    i dont have a clue what to do, and whats heavy lifts/assistance work?!

im an absoloute novice, and don't forget im a woman, i dont want to end up with rippling muscles

and isn't squatting a sex position?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)

Atm all i'm doing is

...and thats it!

that post was painful

you can't work one part of the body without working the rest of it. every single muscle in your body is connected, and therefore every muscle works together. people who do bicep curls for years and years, yes they get big arms, but firstly they look like outof proportion freaks, and secondly, the gains they make on their arms are nothing in comparison to the gains a guy makes when he works his arms and everything else.

you want to be doing bench press, bent-over rows, overhead presses and upright rows, as well as squats, and deadlifts. they're all fairly easy to learn, deadlifts maybe being the only exception. and all of them can be found here: http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

and, just noticing your a woman:

all of the exercises to do with weights won't make you a beast since you physiologically lack the ability to grow much muscle. but what they will do is fill out loose flab and make everything look better.

legs can't be forgotten even if you are a dancer, if they're good, you can atleast maintain them, or they will be lost years down the line.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.