Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Im starting a Law LLB degree in Spetember and wanted to get a bit of a general idea of what the topics are about.

My first year involves - Law of Tort, Contract Law, Criminal Law and Skills, Processes and Skills and Practice.

Im fine with Criminal Law as i did my second year of A Level on it and feel i can expand on that but am wondering what books to buy for the rest of the topics? I know i wont get my reading list yet but just to give me the general idea?

I have Tort Law 6th Edition by Elliott and Quinn for the Tort topic? Would this be ok??

Any suggestions for the rest??

Thanks in advance.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Elliot and Quinn is pretty decent; I prefer Lunney and Oliphant - dull but comprehensive (a bit like Tort itself). From what I've heard the A2 in Criminal is nothing like the degree so don't not buy a textbook thinking that you'll not need one - you will. Ashworth (Principles of Criminal Law) is excellent for the discursive element of the module and Clarkson and Keating is similar to Lunney and Oliphant; more detailed and will be good for getting you to grips with the actual law. Processes and Skills and Practice = jokes. Ewan McKendrick is pretty decent for Contract Law but if you like Elliot and Quinn's Tort they also do a Contract Law textbook.

In all fairness though, you're betting off waiting until you start before you buy any expensive textbooks. New editions are published all the time and your lecturers will probably recommend your year group to all buy one particular text from which he/she will give you weekly readings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LissRules!!)
    Hiya,

Im starting a Law LLB degree in Spetember and wanted to get a bit of a general idea of what the topics are about.

My first year involves - Law of Tort, Contract Law, Criminal Law and Skills, Processes and Skills and Practice.

Im fine with Criminal Law as i did my second year of A Level on it and feel i can expand on that but am wondering what books to buy for the rest of the topics? I know i wont get my reading list yet but just to give me the general idea?

I have Tort Law 6th Edition by Elliott and Quinn for the Tort topic? Would this be ok??

Any suggestions for the rest??

Thanks in advance.
    heloo I was wondering the same thing but when I asked to the lecturer about it, she said most places prefer you not too read anything at all because you get into bad habits and that they prefer a blank slate

ReputationRep:
    For Criminal Law, Jonathan Herring's Criminal Law: Text, Cases and Materials is superb. It gives you a basic outline of everything and you can then read up on specific areas.

For Tort Law, I like McBride and Bagshaw's textbook. It's very clear as well but is a bit too factual, so back it up with journal articles and other textbooks.

Mr_Deeds is right though - wait till you get the reading list as new editions come out around Sept and lecturers tend to have favourites.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely wait till your lecturer recommends the book! If it's anything like my university, everyone has to have a set textbook for each module because all the tutorials and lectures are based on the textbook. Then you can buy extra books after that if you want

ReputationRep:
    Slapper: English Legal System.

Don't buy any book yet but see if you can get some cheaply or from your local library and then wait till you get to uni.

I'm also starting in September and for now I've gotten Ashworth's Principles of Criminal Law from my library which I'll be reading during the holidays and I'll get books when I get there.

ReputationRep:
    The Ewan McKendrick book is absolutely dead on for Contract. That book alone gave me 2 high firsts for Contract law - both on the exam and also on the coursework. You will not need another another Contract Book - not to mention it is deadly useful when you go onto Remedies & Restitution in your third year, which is a compulsory module. Do not ever give that book away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JiangYu)
    The Ewan McKendrick book is absolutely dead on for Contract. That book alone gave me 2 high firsts for Contract law - both on the exam and also on the coursework. You will not need another another Contract Book - not to mention it is deadly useful when you go onto Remedies & Restitution in your third year, which is a compulsory module. Do not ever give that book away.

Thanks . And to everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Paula Giliker's book for Tort Law (green cover), quite short and concise but actually very good to work with a 'main' tort textbook - literally everyone I know used it for Tort this past year.

I'd probably wait till your given your reading lists, if you're given options - I'd suggest look at each book in detail then decide. I found in first year that ALL the most highly rated textbook's from the lecturers were actually the worst, and the others were far better.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.