Turn on thread page Beta

"Games should cost £70 in the future"!! watch

ReputationRep:
    so says ex-Sony Europe boss...

Activision recently announced that it was going to up the RRP of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 to £55 GBP in the UK, owing to the weakening pound and the need to recoup development costs quickly. The news didn't go down too well, but Chris Deering thinks it may not be enough.

The ex-Sony Europe CEO and current Codemasters board member, known to some as the Father of the PlayStation for the way he pushed the platform to dominance in Europe, has speculated that games may well rise to around £70 GBP ($110 USD)in the UK soon as developers are forced to spend more and more money pursuing the best graphics.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...n-the-future/1

who the hell's gonna pay £70 for a game!! what an idiot!

game developers should aim to make better games with more satisfying gameplay rather waste their resources on pretty graphics and DRM!

ReputationRep:
    I study computer games programming. As a programmer £40 is stupidly low, as a consumer it's high.

You do realise that the actual studio only see about £17 of a sale? The rest is distribution and shops.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. Call Of Duty is a poor game anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    I study computer games programming. As a programmer £40 is stupidly low, as a consumer it's high.

You do realise that the actual studio only see about £17 of a sale? The rest is distribution and shops.
    No different to most other industries then, surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    wagh!? CoD4 is awesome. I agree with you re the rest, but IW make good CoD games, when not set in WW2 :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)

Yes but if they out price the consumer they'd get nothing as opposed to £17 :P:

ReputationRep:
    I will never ever pay more than £40 for a game again which I have only done once with "Infamous".

I tink £30 is about right.

ReputationRep:
    Call of Duty is immense but each to their own

That new Guitar Hero or w/e, the Beatles edition, I saw it going for £170 on Play, thought I was seeing things, more than a premium console LOLOLOLOLOL

But yeah the pricing on the new Call of Duty is meant to be around £55 inni?

ReputationRep:
    Its not that asburd, especially seeing how much money goes into the development of a game.
    Although will Call of Duty its a bit absurd as its guaranteed to be popular, and will remain at RRP for a year probably. In this case its all about making a large profit.

ReputationRep:
    Not that you'd remember, but Streets of Rage 3 cost sixty pounds at the time of its release.

ReputationRep:
    If they wack the prices up they'll just be left with loads of unsold games on the shelves, the shops will cut the prices so they start selling again, and we're back to square one :/

I'd just simply not buy the game until it's halved in price which it will inevitably do with time, I don't think I've ever spent more than £25 on a single game.

ReputationRep:
    Why shouldn't things be priced appropriately?

ReputationRep:
    No different to most other industries then, surely?

Well, no. Computer games is such a delicate industry. For example, a very well established studio with multiple mass-selling games can go bankrupt from 1 bad decission. How many games do you hear hyped up...then just seem to...never come out?

Also, programmers need to learn a new programming language every few years and training for learning to develop for a new system isn't cheap. In fact, EA games has been sued countless times by it's own employee's near 'crunch time' because there's so much to do, EA was making them work illegal hours intime for release dates.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the developing studio gets paid about 25% of the money recieved. Most of the money goes towards the publisher and retailer.
    ToastyCoke is right, take a good look what happened to Duke Nukem. If you don't know already, you're a real n00b.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Not that you'd remember, but Streets of Rage 3 cost sixty pounds at the time of its release.

seriously??

wow! :eek:

I own that game on Wii Virtual Console and I got it for a fraction of that price..

I cant believe people payed that much money for a game in those days..

ReputationRep:
    And they wonder why piracy exists...

- people are pirating our games!
    - Let's raise prices to adjust our losses
    - *more people pirate games*

It's like they never learn... and eventually, piracy will be just as common on consoles as it is on PCs, so they'll be in a right cluster****. Just like during the last (and only?) video game depression... which I think was somewhere in the 80s.

I don't care about your UBER GFX, or your EXTREME PHYSICS, or your overrated celebrity voice overs. Just give me a god damn FUN game to play which doesn't cost a crapload to produce due to lots of stupid, shiny, superficial stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Seriously?

I remember getting that fairly cheaply when I little...

(Coincidently, I've been playing all these games again on the mega drive collection for PS3 :grin:)

ReputationRep:
    Piracy is already common on the 360 and Wii. Only the PS3 hasn't been cracked yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    And they wonder why piracy exists...

- people are pirating our games!

It's like they never learn... and eventually, piracy will be just as common on consoles as it is on PCs, so they'll be in a right cluster****. Just like during the last (and only?) video game depression... which I think was somewhere in the 80s.
    What an idiotic statement. Piracy exists even films that cost £1.99 in asda are pirated online. Cretin.

I don't care about your UBER GFX, or your EXTREME PHYSICS, or your overrated celebrity voice overs. Just give me a god damn FUN game to play which doesn't cost a crapload to produce due to lots of stupid, shiny, superficial stuff.
    Doesn't happen like that. Please, close the door on your way out.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I cry at the thought of spending £40 on a game never mind £70. :tongue:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 28, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.