Turn on thread page Beta

"Games should cost £70 in the future"!! watch

ReputationRep:
    I only tend to play fifa on PS3, and play it most days, so the game play to cost element i belive i get more then my money's worth. so £70 isnt too bad. say i play it everyday for 1/2 an hour. then thats 182 hours play from Fifa each year, ruthly. witch breaks down to 0.4 pence an hour. witch is priceless entitament

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giran)
    Piracy is already common on the 360 and Wii. Only the PS3 hasn't been cracked yet.
    Mainly because blu ray writers cost a fortune and downloading 50GB ISOs takes a long while, rather than the PS3 being particularly uber :p: Hardware copy protection > software.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Seriously?

I remember getting that fairly cheaply when I little...

(Coincidently, I've been playing all these games again on the mega drive collection for PS3 :grin:)
    Seriously. In fact it wasn't uncommon for brand-new Megadrive games to command an RRP of between fifty and sixty pounds.

Edit: This was circa 1994, by the by.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibs137)
    seriously??

wow! :eek:

I own that game on Wii Virtual Console and I got it for a fraction of that price..

I cant believe people payed that much money for a game in those days..

Some N64 games were quite expensive too, my copy of THPS2 was 50 quid when I bought it.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i remember buying N64 games at £50/game - I bought Perfect Dark on release for that.

ReputationRep:
    Professor Layton for DS.. that was sold out everywhere initially, and Amazon upped the price to about £120 at one point as they were literally the only stockists of it at one point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gueirguiy)
    Some N64 games were quite expensive too, my copy of THPS2 was 50 quid when I bought it.
    I seem to recall Perfect Dark being fifty pounds, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G50)
    And they wonder why piracy exists...

- people are pirating our games!
    - Let's raise prices to adjust our losses
    - *more people pirate games*

It's like they never learn... and eventually, piracy will be just as common on consoles as it is on PCs, so they'll be in a right cluster****. Just like during the last (and only?) video game depression... which I think was somewhere in the 80s.

I don't care about your UBER GFX, or your EXTREME PHYSICS, or your overrated celebrity voice overs. Just give me a god damn FUN game to play which doesn't cost a crapload to produce due to lots of stupid, shiny, superficial stuff.
    You've got no idea. Completely ignorant.

I remember seeing Goldeneye 64 in Virgin Megastores for £64.99 the week before the Gamecube came out.

I've found very, very few games this generation have £30 worth of entertainment in them* let alone £40 so I pretty much stopped buying games when they first come out a fair while ago. Any that I do like the look of enough to buy them when they come out tend to end up on eBay and I recoup 90% of the cost - though this is because I've mostly bought games lately with what I consider a very good singleplayer campaign and poor or no multiplayer (like GoW2, Resi 5 and Dead Space) and it's a waste to have £40 of game sat there on the off chance I want to play the singleplayer again (by which time they've probably come down in price anyway).

If more games start coming out at even higher price points I simply won't buy them, there's too much tat around to risk losing that much money on a lemon of a game. I've enjoyed the last two Call of Duty games a great deal but not enough to justify paying £55.

*I realise that the vast majority of the time games are much better value than other entertainment media (in a time for a single use versus price way) but I don't think DVDs are worth the prices they're released at either.

ReputationRep:
    The RRP of Neo Geo games was about £200 - £400 from what I remember; and even though you might not be even remotely familiar with it, it had a market lifespan of 14 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I seem to recall Perfect Dark being fifty pounds, too.
    at that time, perfect dark was a pretty amazing game. it still is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Not that you'd remember, but Streets of Rage 3 cost sixty pounds at the time of its release.
    Jesus! did it? I used to play that on the Megadrive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omicronlyrae)
    Mainly because blu ray writers cost a fortune and downloading 50GB ISOs takes a long while, rather than the PS3 being particularly uber :p: Hardware copy protection > software.
    But most of the games don't even use up 80% of the storage capacity.
    They roughly are around 7GB's.

People wouldn't even need to burn blu ray disks. All they'd need to do is download the iso to the ps3's HDD, and use some kind of loader.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    What an idiotic statement. Piracy exists even films that cost £1.99 in asda are pirated online. Cretin.
    Right. So there is absolutely no correlation between price and piracy. I wonder why software publishers such as Microsoft do special deals for students on stuff like Office. Out of the kindness of their hearts? Or because they know that students aren't going to be able to afford paying a ton for that type of software and would rather pirate it? Maybe because they realize that students might actually buy their software if they could afford it?

Were you raised in a mayonnaise jar with holes punched in the lid for air?

Doesn't happen like that. Please, close the door on your way out.
    Really. I guess you were born yesterday, which would explain your cognitive abilities (or lack thereof). Gee, I sure wonder how they managed before all this "next generation" BS. Oh yeah, competition was primarily based on making better gameplay. Now it's based on who can polish a turd the best. All to cater to stupid ADD kiddies like yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I could see a price hike working, but only if games are expensive at first and then become cheaper after a few months. That way people who want to play the game straight away pay a premium, but anyone who's not bothered can get games for a more reasonable price later on. It already happens to a certain extent at the moment, so wouldn't be much of a difference to take it a bit further.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps with digital distribution developers will make more money off each sale and thus be able to lower the price.

ReputationRep:
    Majora's Mask was quite expensive for the N64 back in the day, considering you had to also buy that little red expansion pack to play it alongside Perfect Dark. The expansion packs themselves were expensive as hell and rare...

ReputationRep:
    it is a business at the end of the day, someones got to make money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameeso)
    at that time, perfect dark was a pretty amazing game. it still is
    I played it habitually for the better part of two years. In fact, not since Halo has any game's single-player so enthralled me even after completion, although Grand Theft Auto IV's certainly comes close.

ReputationRep:
    I study computer games programming. As a programmer £40 is stupidly low, as a consumer it's high.

You do realise that the actual studio only see about £17 of a sale? The rest is distribution and shops.
    Obviously studying computer games programming you would know a hell of a lot more than me, but surely, after having sold enough copies they are going to make a profit, regardless of how much they recieve from each sale? Therefore, lower prices (particularly at launch) would generally equal more sales, and would near enough match the time it makes to make a profit?

(Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Indeed. Call Of Duty is a poor game anyway.
    The thread is about the price of games, not Call of Duty. Very constructive comment there.

(Original post by G50)
    And they wonder why piracy exists...

- people are pirating our games!

It's like they never learn... and eventually, piracy will be just as common on consoles as it is on PCs, so they'll be in a right cluster****. Just like during the last (and only?) video game depression... which I think was somewhere in the 80s.

I don't care about your UBER GFX, or your EXTREME PHYSICS, or your overrated celebrity voice overs. Just give me a god damn FUN game to play which doesn't cost a crapload to produce due to lots of stupid, shiny, superficial stuff.
    Someone totally missed the point. They are talking about raising the costs due to developing costs and the value of sterling, nothing to do with piracy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 28, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.