Turn on thread page Beta

"Games should cost £70 in the future"!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omicronlyrae)
    wagh!? CoD4 is awesome. I agree with you re the rest, but IW make good CoD games, when not set in WW2 :p:
    Balls! The first 2 were the best! I did enjoy MW but it's not the best imo, it's just not quite got the same atmosphere as the others.

ReputationRep:
    It puts me off paying the RRP of £40..... lol £70? Erghh okay...... maybe for the hardcore nerd fans who buys the collecters editions of all games because it has a pretty packaging.

ReputationRep:
    £70 for a game? I think I will take up a cheaper hobby like heroin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I played it habitually for the better part of two years. In fact, not since Halo has any game's single-player so enthralled me even after completion, although Grand Theft Auto IV's certainly comes close.
    perfect dark and goldeneye were great games. i think goldeneye was better though, as you could drive a tank in one mission :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gap)
    Majora's Mask was quite expensive for the N64 back in the day, considering you had to also buy that little red expansion pack to play it alongside Perfect Dark. The expansion packs themselves were expensive as hell and rare...
    For some of the games the n64 released I would of been prepared to pay 100 quid + for them, ie perfect dark/mario kart/zelda ocarina of time/Super Mario 64, but that's only because the games were perfect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    Someone totally missed the point. They are talking about rasing the costs due to developing costs and the value of sterling, nothing to do with piracy.
    It doesn't matter. The fact is that higher prices (no matter why they're raising them) will raise piracy. If they raise prices due to superfluous developing costs, they'll just increase piracy. Will the difference still work in their favor? I don't know, I guess they'll just have to see. All I know is I'll never pay £70 for a game, and never have. I buy PC games mainly, so none of the overpriced console stuff. £60 is my max for a REALLY good game. Otherwise £40 to £50 for something decent. I never buy Xbox 360 games at release because they're a lot more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    £70 is above the threshold for impulse buying, IMO, would have a negative net impact probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    Doesn't happen like that. Please, close the door on your way out.
    World of Goo

ReputationRep:
    What an idiotic statement. Piracy exists even films that cost £1.99 in asda are pirated online. Cretin.
    Whoa, a tad strong reply there...

Most films that are pirated online that are 1.99 in asda were pirated when they came out, and just remain on the internet as a result. Then the other main percentage of the time, it's because it's an old film, and is hard to find. There's then normally a small squad of people who will pirate no matter what, but if the prices are reasonable and people like the company, they wont get pirated. Pirates often have more morals than you may think.

I for one, will just download mw2 if it's £50, and wait until the price drops to play multiplayer. Until then, I'll be playing multiplayer on my legit copy of cod4, which I purchased at a reasonable price.

Your point you made about one bad release bankrupting games publishers is rubbish. Most game publishers have come up with a fair share of rubbish releases that didn't sell at all, and are still doing totally fine.

People will pirate if the game publisher is rich, and if they are liked. For example, games by rockstar aren't pirated as much as other developers, as they're more liked.

ReputationRep:
    People seem under the impression that £40 is a maximum they should be charged. You pay what £5 a cinema ticket for 2 hours...or £15 for a dvd. These studio's are a business, they're not here to keep your bank balance happy. They're here to keep their own happy.

(Original post by PeterMcPete)
    World of Goo
    90% piracy rate.

ReputationRep:
    People seem under the impression that £40 is a maximum they should be charged. You pay what £5 a cinema ticket for 2 hours...or £15 for a dvd. These studio's are a business, they're not here to keep your bank balance happy. They're here to keep their own happy.
    I pay £2.50 for the cinema, Orange Wednesday WOOOPPPEEE!!!! lol

ReputationRep:
    I pay £70 for special editions. I am not paying £70 as standard.
    That is ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    my cousin gave me mega drive games when i was younger, i found them in the loft a few months ago and was surprised to see that they still had price stickers on of £55-£60!! This is back in the 90's!

ReputationRep:
    £5 for a cinema ticket and 2 hours worth of entertainment equates to about £25 for a 10 hour game, which is how long most single player games are these days (some are more like 6 hours :coma:). £30-£40 is reasonable for games compared to other forms of entertainment.

I'd be willing to pay £70 for a game that I knew I was going to like and which I knew would last me a long, long time (think JRPGs, Final Fantasy, sports games), but I'd never make a casual purchase at that price.

ReputationRep:
    What bothers me is that all games are priced exactly the same. I think a tiered pricing system where the big names that take alot of development and push boundaries (games like Half-Life etc) cost more than awful games produced to coincide with Disney films etc.

Surely by placing an artificial limit on what games can be sold for youre only going to limit creativity and ambition by developers. Why aim to make the next revolutionary game when making something **** probably makes more business sense and carries a lower risk? no?

I think people should realise that good games are very expensive to make and its only fair to have to pay for a quality product. I'd rather play 3 really good games a year than 10 disapointing ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eradicus)
    I pay £70 for special editions. I am not paying £70 as standard.
    That is ridiculous
    What extras do you expect from a special edition?

ReputationRep:
    Games have come down in price from being £50 or £60 as standard, it wouldn't surprise me to see RRPs hit £70 soonish.

But then it's all about the market economy, right? If they find that their sales are taking sufficiently large hits, then they'll lower the price. If the games are still selling, then I can hardly say that they're wrong to increase the price.
    Fwiw, I can only see AAA blockbuster titles considering this RRP any time soon, which will benefit smaller titles able to release at lower price points.

ReputationRep:
    Bobby Kotick (Activision CEO) is a ****, he said recently that they'd stop making games for the PS3 unless Sony put the price down, which is obviously an empty threat, but it's the fact that this is coming from the head of Activision. Activision, the same company that are bringing us Guitar Hero 5, Band Hero (what the crap is the difference?!) Tony Hawk Ride and DJ Hero. Notice a trend? Really over-priced pieces of crap peripherals. I feel sorry for Infinity Ward for having this insane publisher put out their games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    Obviously studying computer games programming you would know a hell of a lot more than me, but surely, after having sold enough copies they are going to make a profit, regardless of how much they recieve from each sale? Therefore, lower prices (particularly at launch) would generally equal more sales, and would near enough match the time it makes to make a profit?
    Well, I suppose that would depend on economies of scale with regard to manufacture, and the size of the subsequent market. One has to re-coup within a certain time-frame, after all, and even assuming unlimited potential sales, you can't wait five years to break even.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Not that you'd remember, but Streets of Rage 3 cost sixty pounds at the time of its release.
    LOL it's funny you mentioned that because I saw that game going for 60 cents when I was in the US a few years back. Awful game if I remember correctly.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 28, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.