Turn on thread page Beta

"Games should cost £70 in the future"!! watch

ReputationRep:
    And on the other hand, we heard that the manufacturing costs of a PS3 have gone down by 70 % :

http://kotaku.com/5327066/sony-ps3-m...yline=true&s=x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by good mermington)
    £5 for a cinema ticket and 2 hours worth of entertainment equates to about £25 for a 10 hour game, which is how long most single player games are these days (some are more like 6 hours :coma:). £30-£40 is reasonable for games compared to other forms of entertainment.

I'd be willing to pay £70 for a game that I knew I was going to like and which I knew would last me a long, long time (think JRPGs, Final Fantasy, sports games), but I'd never make a casual purchase at that price.
    I agree - if it was something like Final Fantasy, Persona (/any Megami Tensei game), Kingdom Hearts etc. then I would probably play a hiked up price. If it was something like Smash Bros or one of the many other games that people are talking about in this thread (which I don't play, but nevermind that) where the gameplay is more in the replayability or multiplayer, then I wouldn't pay as much.

But saying that, Final Fantasy games have been going downhill post-IX, but Versus XIII looks so awesome I'd gladly pay £50-60 for it ... depending on whether I have whichever console it comes out on by then XD

But Square is one of the companies that gets a LOT of income from their ****-loads of merchandise, so they are less likely to increase the price I guess, unless other companies hike the price successfully and they just follow suit in their greedy corporate ebilness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    The RRP of Neo Geo games was about £200 - £400 from what I remember; and even though you might not be even remotely familiar with it, it had a market lifespan of 14 years.
    I remember seeing adverts for the Neo Geo in the computer games magazines I used to get in the late 80's-mid 90's. I always wanted one, never knew anyone who had one, and knew that there was no way in hell that I'd ever get one. It was basically an arcade games console that you could plug into your TV, and even PC specs didn't come close until at least '97, maybe even as late as '99...

As to the main question of the thread. If its all a question of higher relative development costs due to the poor value of Sterling, then if they've got any sense they'll shift as much of their development work to the UK to take advantage of it. I'd guess that Sterling is going to be depressed for at least another year or two, possibly longer than that. After all they and the film industry did ship a lot of FX work out to Oz and NZ due to their weak currencies and I'm guessing favourable tax incentives, as this sort of stuff generally qualifies for R&D tax exemptions...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's a problem, but I don't play games too much anymore, I'm not sure how good they are. I've seen a few of my mates Xbox games and there seems to be a lot of focus on online play, which to me doesn't seem a big deal, in fact I'd prefer to just do a multiplayer thing on a LAN with everyone in the room. There also appears to be a lot of shooting games which are all the same idea (blow up as much stuff as you can), although that might just be my friends tastes rather than games in general.
    Anyway, my main point is that £70 for a game shouldn't be a big deal if the game itself will last a standard gamer a good while, i.e. a single player mode with an "adventure/story" style mode that takes ages to finish (with stupid sub-missions for the people that want to get 100%) and maybe a "classic" mode (hard to describe, basically, no story or plot, just action and increasingly challenging as you progress), then of course a good multiplayer mode with a variety options. Then you should be able to buy less games, but play them more. I don't want to think about how much money is wasted by my friends on countless games, then non-stop hours in front of the t.v. playing way past the time it got boring just to get "gamer-points".
    In fact, spending a lot on games might not be such a big deal if you didn't have to send the Xbox off for repairs every couple of months, my friend is on his 7th console, my brother on his 5th or 6th I think. It's insane how anyone still buys these things when reliability is so low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    LOL it's funny you mentioned that because I saw that game going for 60 cents when I was in the US a few years back. Awful game if I remember correctly.
    Streets of Rage II was vastly superior, I agree.

ReputationRep:
    the gods of pirate bay and miniova will aid me in this calling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohmana)
    the gods of pirate bay and miniova will aid me in this calling
    pirate bay's going legal now. mininova ftw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    What extras do you expect from a special edition?
    I have to say, I am a bit strange when it comes to that. I just like having the special edition. e.g. T-shirts, badges, cards, soundtracks, making-of DVDs, special artwork
    thats the kind of stuff I like from my special editions
    usually enough to get me to buy it as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    I remember seeing adverts for the Neo Geo in the computer games magazines I used to get in the late 80's-mid 90's. I always wanted one, never knew anyone who had one, and knew that there was no way in hell that I'd ever get one. It was basically an arcade games console that you could plug into your TV, and even PC specs didn't come close until at least '97, maybe even as late as '99...

As to the main question of the thread. If its all a question of higher relative development costs due to the poor value of Sterling, then if they've got any sense they'll shift as much of their development work to the UK to take advantage of it. I'd guess that Sterling is going to be depressed for at least another year or two, possibly longer than that. After all they and the film industry did ship a lot of FX work out to Oz and NZ due to their weak currencies and I'm guessing favourable tax incentives, as this sort of stuff generally qualifies for R&D tax exemptions...
    Actually the pounds doing much better atm.

USD: 60p per
    Euro: 85p per

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    I know an avid collector of videogames who bought one more for an investment than anything. And in many cases the games have retained or vastly increased in value - if I'm not mistaken, Kizuna Encounter sold for $27,000 in 2004, and further copies for around $20,000 once people realised how rare their copy was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I played it habitually for the better part of two years. In fact, not since Halo has any game's single-player so enthralled me even after completion, although Grand Theft Auto IV's certainly comes close.
    I agree ^_^ I still play PD even now :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omicronlyrae)
    I agree ^_^ I still play PD even now :o:
    me too. never seems to get boring. usually play the challenges though

ReputationRep:
    Ha. I can't cant even be arsed to pay £40 for a game, nevermind £70.

People will just hack there consoles and download everything, for free.

ReputationRep:
    I remember most Mega Drive games cost about £40-45 on release day. Factor in 15 years of inflation and we're already at £60 in real terms. The reason game prices didn't go up like that is due to selling more copies I guess.

Problem with upping the price so much is people aren't going to take a risk with that kind of money unless it's for a AAA title which they expect to be great, most likely a sequel to a popular franchise. This harms creativity. I wouldn't pay more than £35 for a game which is a new IP. Games like Little Big Planet would have flopped if they tried to release it at £60.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't even pay £55 for a game, thats why i own a PC. Thats such a rediculous opinion to take, costs are spiralling, i know lets raise the prices. Why not, cut down on the rediculous salary that you take Mr CEO, or scrap the christmas bonuses etc.

ReputationRep:
    if this is true then these developers can go and eat a ****. who is gonna pay £70. Im refuse to pay more than £50 for MW 2 and ive beeen looking forward to that for like a year. This is why he is an EX sony executive, because he thinks making a 75% price hike in a recession is realistic business thinking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    I study computer games programming. As a programmer £40 is stupidly low, as a consumer it's high.

You do realise that the actual studio only see about £17 of a sale? The rest is distribution and shops.
    thats a fairly high mark up, most industrys are lucky to get 10% of the revenue as profit.

ReputationRep:
    When the PS1 was king, new games in shops were £49.99. Not far off £70 in today's prices.

However, there is no reason for it now. The popularity and sales of games has increased vastly, so you shouldn't need to sell as many games to cover costs. But games are actually getting worse. The quality and variety of games released in this gen is far worse than in the last gen. Developers need to learn to concentrate more on gameplay and less on just pushing graphics.

ReputationRep:
    If games start retailing at £70 that would make gaming a seriously expensive hobby, and I would probably not buy a console when next gen comes around.

ReputationRep:
    Sell the game direct. Cut out the middle man.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 28, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.