Turn on thread page Beta

"Games should cost £70 in the future"!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    When the PS1 was king, new games in shops were £49.99. Not far off £70 in today's prices.

However, there is no reason for it now. The popularity and sales of games has increased vastly, so you shouldn't need to sell as many games to cover costs. But games are actually getting worse. The quality and variety of games released in this gen is far worse than in the last gen. Developers need to learn to concentrate more on gameplay and less on just pushing graphics.
    This exactly, I'm getting tired of all the graphics pushing I wish they'd just go back to making decent games even if the graphics aren't 99.99% lifelike.

I'm fairly sure I paid £65 for Perfect Dark when it was first released. N64 games were such a rip off. But I was young and stupid, I wouldn't pay that much for a single game now.

ReputationRep:
    If the price is too much or you want to dissuade high pricing just dont buy it.

Heard some story on the radio about CoD selling for 55 or whatever and some idiot interviewee was saying "its too much money but I'll still buy it hurhurhur"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    When the PS1 was king, new games in shops were £49.99. Not far off £70 in today's prices.

However, there is no reason for it now. The popularity and sales of games has increased vastly, so you shouldn't need to sell as many games to cover costs. But games are actually getting worse. The quality and variety of games released in this gen is far worse than in the last gen. Developers need to learn to concentrate more on gameplay and less on just pushing graphics.
    Based on what? It's pretty hard to compare, but I don't think that games from this generation are noticably worse. Developers do concentrate lots on gameplay, and there are still LOTS of really fantastic, excellent new releases out there.

(Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    if this is true then these developers can go and eat a ****. who is gonna pay £70. Im refuse to pay more than £50 for MW 2 and ive beeen looking forward to that for like a year. This is why he is an EX sony executive, because he thinks making a 75% price hike in a recession is realistic business thinking
    Chris Deering was a fantastic exec, and Sony is all the poorer without him.
    I remember some cool interviews with him back in OPM #17 when he was in charge of hardware/software for SCEE. That was awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Based on what? It's pretty hard to compare, but I don't think that games from this generation are noticably worse. Developers do concentrate lots on gameplay, and there are still LOTS of really fantastic, excellent new releases out there.
    Obviously its entirely my opinion, but there just seem to be a lot fewer really good games being released than there were in the last 2 gens.

Compare the number of top games PS3: http://uk.gamespot.com/games.html?ty...icial=all%20»
    with PS2: http://uk.gamespot.com/games.html?ty...icial=all%20»
    Obviously the PS2 has been out longer, but it shows there aren't many really good interesting games out on PS3. Its a similar story on Xbox.

The great games that are out there tend to be very generic. As costs have increased, developers just aren't taking risks. Half of new releases are mediocre FPS which don't try anything new, the over half are derivative FPSes. Its not helped by the fact that a lot of smaller developers have closed. There are exceptions, but generally no originality = boring, and gameplay seems to be pretty **** as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)

Chris Deering was a fantastic exec, and Sony is all the poorer without him.
    I remember some cool interviews with him back in OPM #17 when he was in charge of hardware/software for SCEE. That was awesome.
    doesn't change the fact that it is a stupid, nonsensical claim to make. Agree with your comment about the quality of games out there. we are arguably in a gaming golden age eg. gta iv, halo 3, gears, cod MW, mgs4, street fighter 4, mario galaxy all these and many other classics have been released in the last 2 or 3 years

ReputationRep:
    £70 a game? That's insane, it really is. I hear talk about the increasing costs of developing games, but tough titties really, hiking the price to that level is a stupid business model. I mean, while the demographics are changing, games are still aimed at teenagers - and if we look at the Wii, there's an increasing trend to try and break the child/family market. Come on, some spotty 15 year old sk8r boi isn't going to have £70 just lying around to buy a game.

Not only that, but if £70 a game becomes the norm, then we're going to see a massive fall in console sales. Who wants to buy a piece of hardware when the complementary goods are more than half the system's price each? And price does matter in this market - these are luxury goods and people are going to jump on every pound saved if they can. Just look at the performance of the Wii and 360 relative to the PS3 - while undoubtedly some of this has to do with release dates and launch titles, you can't rule out the fact that the PS3 is insanely expensive (and you'd need to buy a decent HD TV to go with it as well, and then we get to extra peripherals and games.

Some people will still buy it, sure, but all in all I have a suspicion that they're going to lose more revenue by way of lost demand than they'll gain via the higher price.

ReputationRep:
    The truth is, i think that game makers have missed a trick here. With the latest consoles having online capabilities, and already some games selling extras online, why charge £70? Simply keep prices the same, but charge small payments for particular extras (levels, characters, items etc), and make up the money that way?

If the game is good, and people are committed, they will pay that money. Otherwise, you will be comparing £70 to other forms of entertainment (for example books and films), and despite the longer lifespan of games, they wont see, as good value. There will be more of a move towards either piracy, or to preowned or slightly older games (which they get no money for when resold AFAIK).

It also means that smaller, simpler games will become more popular (the sort that you can buy for £10 online), which may have just as much playtime and value, and are more profitable too, as more money goes to the developer, and elss to the distributer.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be reticent to pay more than £30 for any game. I couldn't give a crap about graphics either, Baldur's Gate II was THE greatest game ever made and it's graphics suck the big one.

ReputationRep:
    I've been anticipating this for some time, its very risky for them to do this, i guess they're just riding on the success of the other cod games. These kind of prices are going back to the old console like snes and n64 whereplay which games cost £50-£60, in the days of the snes it was normal but the high prices vs ps1 caused the n64 to fail badly. It seems only xbox and ps3 will up their prices like this cos of gfx so they'll just raise wii sales even more.
    Games today are generally bad quality, extreemely buggy constant patches to fix stuff that should have been fixed during the beta tests and awful step by step gameplay which basically plays the game for you. sigh i'm happy to say i'm going back to retro gaming, those games are way more fun!

ReputationRep:
    I wish they would stop trying to focus on better graphics for games these days. It's no substitute for a good storyline and complex strategy. Graphics are so good these days anyway, I don't really have any urge for better graphics. Same thing happening with films, too much focus on special effects, not enough focus on storyline.

It's really annoying that the best games I have played are old nintendo 64 and playstation one games (and Age of Empires 1 and 2. Age of Empires 3 was crap).

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter, people will still buy them no matter what they charge.
    Personally though, I haven't spent more than £40 (if that) on a game.

£70 is pathetic personally I don't think it will happen to be that high but games like Call of duty come out on the PC anyways so illegal downloads ftw and people wonder why torrents are so rampant if anythign raising the prices dosen't boost its sales or anything it just lowers them and forces people into torrenting the same crap has happened to music already.

These days it seems to be a trend that game companies go graphics over gameplay which to be honest has made games alot worse than they used to be.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not asking for holographic new dimension graphics just to give developers the right to make games cost £70. The graphics as they are now are pretty much perfect. I don't see how you could improve gears of war graphics without spending an unnecessary **** load - they look stunning as it is, and game developers need to realise gameplay always comes before looks.

Trust someone from Sony to come out with an idea of £70 games....

ReputationRep:
    For £55 I'd buy it, were it worth the price - in that respect, CoD is going to have to be nothing but win. But the fact is that I'd be highly unwilling to part with £40 (let alone £55 or £70) for the majority of games out today

ReputationRep:
    When games are being sold for £70, I shall resume illegally downloading them. No sweat off my back.

ReputationRep:
    The only game I would pay £70 for would've been GTA IV, which incidentally was the most I've ever paid at £45. There isn't a single other game I own that is worth that sum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeTSR)
    Actually the pounds doing much better atm.

USD: 60p per
    Euro: 85p per
    Remember around this time last year you could get around $2 for every £1, as opposed to around $1.6 ATM, with a similar story with the Euro. No denying the rate has improved in the last six months or so, but a beer in a Parisian bar costing more than £10 is illustration enough of how bad the rate still is...

I should probably point out that I don't follow the currency markets, mainly just notice how little our money goes abroad, which has really hits my parents as their pensions are in £, but they are planning on spending upwards of 2/3 of their time in Italy. Likewise our neighbours are still in the process of 'doing up' a place in Italy, so I guess their costs on that have increased more than a little... Never mind of course that when I go to visit my parents a their place over there, rather than the food and drink being that little bit cheaper, maybe the wine still is, but nothing else is anymore...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    Remember around this time last year you could get around $2 for every £1, as opposed to around $1.6 ATM, with a similar story with the Euro. No denying the rate has improved in the last six months or so, but a beer in a Parisian bar costing more than £10 is illustration enough of how bad the rate still is...

I should probably point out that I don't follow the currency markets, mainly just notice how little our money goes abroad, which has really hits my parents as their pensions are in £, but they are planning on spending upwards of 2/3 of their time in Italy. Likewise our neighbours are still in the process of 'doing up' a place in Italy, so I guess their costs on that have increased more than a little... Never mind of course that when I go to visit my parents a their place over there, rather than the food and drink being that little bit cheaper, maybe the wine still is, but nothing else is anymore...
    I don't think it's fair to compare with last years rates of £1 $2, as those were exceptional times. For years, the dollar's been moderately steady at around £1.50 $2.

As to the Euro issue, it's unsurprising really, as it's a pretty new currency, so it's natural for it to jump around. I remember when that was 50p. Give it time, I'm sure it won't settle at the current rate.

With the beer in the parisian bar, I don't think that's actually near what it costs them at all, it's just that Paris is tourist central, so they can really jack up the prices. The Euro rate just gives them an excuse to jack it up even further. £10 is ridiculous, even when the Euro was cheapest (50p) that would have been £5.80.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeTSR)
    With the beer in the parisian bar, I don't think that's actually near what it costs them at all, it's just that Paris is tourist central, so they can really jack up the prices. The Euro rate just gives them an excuse to jack it up even further. £10 is ridiculous, even when the Euro was cheapest (50p) that would have been £5.80.

Well a pint in most bars in central London costs around £5, so once you factor in the change in exchange rates its not that absurd. If the booze cruise wasn't already pretty much dead, then it certainly is now...

ReputationRep:
    To be quite frank I'd pay that much for a graphics showcase, as long as it was something really special.

I don't really want CoD to be the result of that, mind. You need something more groundbreaking.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 28, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.