Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Games should cost £70 in the future"!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by python38)
    I think the game industry itself is changing; originally, there were mainly lots of small companies and it was easier for a new developer to break into the market. But, now, it's harder, because of all the big developers like Bungie and Bioware selling huge titles, which gamers may buy over other titles. So maybe the small developers have to charge more...?
    But the small developers don't charge more, or they at least drop their prices much sooner than the larger, more popular developers. Which goes more towards the argument of 'they charge more because they know people will pay'.

ReputationRep:
    Digital distribution is helping a lot of smaller developers get in on the action, though. Look at Garrys Mod, World of Goo, Zeno Clash, Peggle etc.

ReputationRep:
    Prices are going to keep going up until the whole industry goes private and it becomes one of those things only rich people have and when you see a guy with a console and some computer games on Cribs you go "wow, I wish I had them, but I am a simple plebeian".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Prices are going to keep going up until the whole industry goes private and it becomes one of those things only rich people have and when you see a guy with a console and some computer games on Cribs you go "wow, I wish I had them, but I am a simple plebeian".
    The video game industry already is private. And given that businesses are profit based, it's somewhat unlikely that they'd do this.

Which goes more towards the argument of 'they charge more because they know people will pay'.
    I don't particularly see the problem with this.
    Prices in being driven by market forces shocker!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    I don't particularly see the problem with this.
    Prices in being driven by market forces shocker!
    Well of course, from a business point of view, there is no problem at all. But, the more they raise the prices, the more sales they lose out on. Sure, they might make that up with the sales they do make at the higher prices, but there will be a point when they go too far, and inevitably, their profits upon release will fall.
    The real problem for consumers isn't the prices, it's the people who are mad enough to pay ridiculous prices. Games aren't as much of a necessity as, say, fuel. The sooner people realise that (both consumers and developers), the sooner we just may see prices fall.

ReputationRep:
    I think the game industry itself is changing; originally, there were mainly lots of small companies and it was easier for a new developer to break into the market. But, now, it's harder, because of all the big developers like Bungie and Bioware selling huge titles, which gamers may buy over other titles. So maybe the small developers have to charge more...?
    Xbox Live Arcade: The home for smaller developers. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I guess, but then it depends what market you're selling to (core gamers, for instance, obviously won't buy lots of games like Geometry Wars.) Casual gamers might, but then those types of games don't cost as much anyway, although of course they must be far cheaper and quicker to develop.
    :eek: Are you mad? Every core gamer I know has bought that game, myself included! XBLA is getting better and better all the time. I reckon we'll see some games really targeted at core gamers in the future. For example, this Halo 3 Multiplayer disc with ODST. I can see that becoming it's own download in the future, much like Portal left the Orange Box.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe there are different types of core gamers. I'd be very surprised if there weren't people who wouldn't buy anything but massive titles like Halo 3 and GoW and then spend hours making their way up the rankings (although, of course, you can become #1 on something like Boom Boom Rocket, too).

I myself vastly prefer to play big action games and don't really like arcade-y type games. I also know someone who never bought XBLA games. So I wouldn't say it's not a common thing.

Seeing as core gamers, as opposed to casual gamers, mostly focus on improving their "skillz" and not just having fun, wouldn't it make more sense for them to buy the big titles where there's more potential to improve?
    Meh. The boring core gamers you describe; they're the same kinda people that'll watch the Transformers movie and say it was excellent. :rolleyes:

Ultimately, it's a time thing. I don't really have the time to dedicate to big games. I play to have fun these days, so I prefer a lot of the arcade games.

On your last point - I'd say topping the charts on Geometry Wars 2 is a bloody hard thing to do!

ReputationRep:
    Heh, I don't play games at all nowadays because of the time thing. I guess I'm what you would call a retired gamer :p:.

Whilst topping any chart at all is probably very hard, there are probably more ways to get to the top of the Gears of War chart than the top of the Geometry Wars chart, if you see what I mean. And also more ways to improve.

Edit: Out of curiosity, which Transformers movie are you referring to, the first or the second?
    Haha! Yeah, time is a bar steward for that!

Either of them. The first was pretty rubbish IMO, and I have no motivation to see the 2nd at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Either of them. The first was pretty rubbish IMO, and I have no motivation to see the 2nd at all.
    For once I'm going to have to disagree with you mikey :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    For once I'm going to have to disagree with you mikey :no:
    Fair play. I'm not a big fan of CGI action blockbusters. I'm more of a well thought out plot kinda guy.

ReputationRep:
    http://news.spong.com/article/18838/...ices-Even-More

'The company's president and CEO of publishing, Michael Griffith, was diplomatic, noting "very strong retailer acceptance and support for all parts of our plan, including ... our price points".

Bobby, however, is not one to mince words. "And Tony, you know if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further."'

Seriously, what now?! 55 pounds for a video game aint enough? 100+ pounds for plastic peripherals isn't enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Not that you'd remember, but Streets of Rage 3 cost sixty pounds at the time of its release.
    Aah but what you forget is, back in those days, very few people bought new games.

We just permanently 'borrowed' from our friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkos87)
    http://news.spong.com/article/18838/...ices-Even-More

'The company's president and CEO of publishing, Michael Griffith, was diplomatic, noting "very strong retailer acceptance and support for all parts of our plan, including ... our price points".

Bobby, however, is not one to mince words. "And Tony, you know if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further."'

Seriously, what now?! 55 pounds for a video game aint enough? 100+ pounds for plastic peripherals isn't enough?
    This is (the greedy *******s) activision we're talking about with their guitar hero band sets costing £150, Tony Hawks Ride costing £100 (just announced on Kotaku) and MW2 prestige costing £120, not a true representation of the industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaywa)
    This is (the greedy *******s) activision we're talking about with their guitar hero band sets costing £150, Tony Hawks Ride costing £100 (just announced on Kotaku) and MW2 prestige costing £120, not a true representation of the industry.
    Unfortunately, when they're pretty much the biggest publisher out there, you don't get a better representation of the industry.

ReputationRep:
    EA are bigger than activision aren't they? But, yeah, estel's point is right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaywa)
    In some of Kotaku's most balanced reporting in quite a while, they explained the context to Kotick's quote here:
    The question Kotick fielded involved the price of peripheral-bundled games like Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk Ride. It came from analyst Tony Gikas, according to a transcript of the call: "... if you don't mind, just your comfort level regarding pricing of some of your new games that have some expensive controllers and any feedback that you had from retail as we move through the holidays."

Company CEO Mike Griffith first fielded the price question, saying: "We've had for all of our launch titles in the back half of this year, some of which contain peripherals, as you point out, very strong retailer acceptance and support for all parts of our plan, including our merchandising plans, our marketing programs, and our price points."

Kotick responded, prompting laughter, with: "And Tony, you know if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further."
    So this may well be more executive banter than intent to raise prices further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omicronlyrae)
    EA are bigger than activision aren't they? But, yeah, estel's point is right.
    Activision has merged with blizzard, so I guess they have more money than God now, thanks to WoW. Plus they have franchises like Guitar Hero and Call of Duty, so they can do whatever the hell they want.
    EA has been suffering losses since last year I believe, with their new IPs mirror's edge and dead space performing subpar.
    It's a sad state of affairs... I remember 2 years ago when I was buying God of War 2 for 30 pounds at launch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkos87)
    Activision has merged with blizzard, so I guess they have more money than God now, thanks to WoW. Plus they have franchises like Guitar Hero and Call of Duty, so they can do whatever the hell they want.
    EA has been suffering losses since last year I believe, with their new IPs mirror's edge and dead space performing subpar.
    It's a sad state of affairs... I remember 2 years ago when I was buying God of War 2 for 30 pounds at launch.
    I think that the performance of Mirror's Edge, Dead Space etc. were underexaggerated by the media. Both sold more than 1 million copies, which is a decent showing for a new IP. These figures certainly aren't fantastic, and I don't doubt that both the games deserved, and EA expected, somewhat more. But given that both are new IP released during the ridiculously overcrowded Q3/4 2008, it's not bad, and both titles probably still turned a profit.

ReputationRep:
    We'll just have to see how guillable some consumers will be to still snatch up highly priced games. With popular things like Wii fit and Guitar Hero costing a fortune (though they do have add-ons) I think the big titles would still continue to sell well at £70. It's the more niche titles that would definitely suffer and their devs probably wouldn't opt to raise their prices as much as that, if possible.

I personally would never buy a game for over £40 simply because that is what I am used to paying for. It's easy to wait for a price drop in the next 3 months after release anyway. And PC games rarely go above £30 at launch and go down in price fairly quick.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 28, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.