Turn on thread page Beta

"Games should cost £70 in the future"!! watch

ReputationRep:
    Turok on the N64 was £70 on release. Personally I think low budget, fairly priced downloadable games will be the way forward for developers getting their profit, especially as no shop needs to take a chunk out of the sales. I'm sure the PSN/XBLA charges are minimal in comparisson.

ReputationRep:
    £70 = LOL , i'd never spend nearly a £100 on a game unless inflation made that a reasonable decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Indeed. Call Of Duty is a poor game anyway.

wtf? take that back!

ReputationRep:
    I (an a lot of other gamers I know) refuse to buy games over £25. We'd rather wait for a little while for the price to drop and still get the same game than spend £35-40 for the immediate gratification of getting it when it is released.

This is going to alienate a lot of people and not that huge a proportion of the gaming population have the will or the money to spend £50-70 on a game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    I (an a lot of other gamers I know) refuse to buy games over £25. We'd rather wait for a little while for the price to drop and still get the same game than spend £35-40 for the immediate gratification of getting it when it is released.

This is going to alienate a lot of people and not that huge a proportion of the gaming population have the will or the money to spend £50-70 on a game.

Ditto. I used to be able spend £30+ on a game but it's dam near impossible for me to do so now. I'm just too frugal :borat:

Some games fall sharply in price, I'm thinking of games like Assasins Creed, Mirror's Edge or LittleBigPlanet. Must have hurt if you bought those at full price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyPyramid)
    Ditto. I used to be able spend £30+ on a game but it's dam near impossible for me to do so now. I'm just too frugal :borat:

Some games fall sharply in price, I'm thinking of games like Assasins Creed, Mirror's Edge or LittleBigPlanet. Must have hurt if you bought those at full price.
    I plead guilty though I absolutely love the game and don't understand why THAT would come to 10 pounds, when other less deserving games are still 30 quids +

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giran)
    Piracy is already common on the 360 and Wii. Only the PS3 hasn't been cracked yet.
    Who'd want to pirate the PS3 anyway?

My opinion about paying for a game is £30 starting price unless there are addons or a pack included.

I have noticed that some expensive games don't release demos so sometimes it feels like a gamble to buy something that you hear is good which might not be.

ReputationRep:
    If games did cost £70, people would only buy the titles they know are going to be very good (Halo, Fifa, CoD etc.) so I think it would screw over the producers in that way...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grapevine)
    If games did cost £70, people would only buy the titles they know are going to be very good (Halo, Fifa, CoD etc.) so I think it would screw over the producers in that way...
    Just because it has a popular title, does not mean the game is going to be good. If what you say were to happen, then developers would realise this, the quality of their games would go downhill, whilst the profits come flooding in. They are greedy, they will milk the fans for as much as they can.

ReputationRep:
    It would screw the new IPS more than anything

ReputationRep:
    I only occasionally buy new games for my PS3. When I do I spend less than £15 on a second hand game in CEX. I bought a few for £3, like PES and Far Cry. They seem to play perfectly well so why not?

I did buy COD4 for £30-40 when it came out but that was on PC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibs137)
    so says ex-Sony Europe boss...

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...n-the-future/1

who the hell's gonna pay £70 for a game!! what an idiot!

game developers should aim to make better games with more satisfying gameplay rather waste their resources on pretty graphics and DRM!

ReputationRep:
    Lolz. I will never, ever, spend that much money on a game. I mostly buy bundles of PS2 games for a few quid and then play them with a group of friends. I have a few preowned xbox360 games that I got for between 15 and 30 quid, and I would never go beyond that. Although as you can probably tell, I'm not a big gamer.

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably buy MW2 for £45 from play or amazon when it comes out anyway, at least that way I get £10 off.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's ridiculous if they raise prices to over £55. I can't imagine anyone paying more than £55 for a game unless they plan to play it for years. If they want to sell games at ridiculous prices then i want a special control pad and some free downloadable content for it too. I understand that development costs are high for great games like COD4 (WAW sucks) but nobody will buy the games if prices were raised to high. i would've even pay 30+ for a game unless it was Street Fighter, COD or anything i know that i'll like before hand and can be played for hours online.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 28, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.