Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For those who have taken a pill to delay their period (question) watch

Hi, I'm going on holiday in a few weeks and I'm due to be on right in the middle of it I know that you can get a pill from the GP to delay your period - Norethisterone (sp?) so I was thinking of using that.

My question is, are there any side effects to using it? Did you have any problems with it? Was your next period more painful or different to usual?

I'm not on the pill atm nor to I intend to go on it any time soon. This pill is like... My only hope, as I'm going on a swimming holiday and don't use tampons either!

Any replies would be welcome, thanks

ReputationRep:
    You could just try tampons :dontknow:

(Original post by Antimatter)
    You could just try tampons :dontknow:
    I've tried and it's painful
    Also, periods make my whole body ache and I really don't want to feel awful on my pretty amazing holiday!

ReputationRep:
    I used it on holiday and used it the weekend just gone. I didn't have any side effects and I didn't get any extra bad pains when I came on after I stopped taking it or anything However, my friend also used them on holiday and said she was in serious pain when she eventually came on! So I guess everybodies just different.

If you're due on before your holiday, it might be best to take the tablets then as well. Just to see if you do get any side effects as you don't want them to ruin your holiday

ReputationRep:
    yeah I used it when I was around twelve... and I found it okay! My periods were a bit heavier though and just as painful as usual.
    May have been less pain because I used to faint every month because of the pain but I remember specifically not fainting on that one...

ReputationRep:
    Turns my girlfriend into a ***** :mmm:

(Original post by Belle-x)
    I used it on holiday and used it the weekend just gone. I didn't have any side effects and I didn't get any extra bad pains when I came on after I stopped taking it or anything However, my friend also used them on holiday and said she was in serious pain when she eventually came on! So I guess everybodies just different.

If you're due on before your holiday, it might be best to take the tablets then as well. Just to see if you do get any side effects as you don't want them to ruin your holiday
    Thank you
    Hmm it might be worth a bit of pain afterwards, I don't get very painful cramps - my body feels sore but I did get veryy painful cramps after my period came late after the exams (but that could of been for loads of reasons, I guess).

Two questions:

1) When you asked your GP for the pills, I presume it was a prescription right? How many pills were in the pack? I'm going on holiday for 10 days, so I'd need like.. 13-ish pills..?

2) A bit personal so you don't have to answer! My boobs feel really sore the week before my period - Like, if I jump, even with a bra it's like ouchhh. Did the pill make you're body less sore or was it the usual pre-period feeling (if you get that)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you
    Hmm it might be worth a bit of pain afterwards, I don't get very painful cramps - my body feels sore but I did get veryy painful cramps after my period came late after the exams (but that could of been for loads of reasons, I guess).

Two questions:

1) When you asked your GP for the pills, I presume it was a prescription right? How many pills were in the pack? I'm going on holiday for 10 days, so I'd need like.. 13-ish pills..?

2) A bit personal so you don't have to answer! My boobs feel really sore the week before my period - Like, if I jump, even with a bra it's like ouchhh. Did the pill make you're body less sore or was it the usual pre-period feeling (if you get that)?
    1) Yeah, I got a prescription and there were 60 pills in the pack! You take three a day so you'll need 30 pills. Although you're meant to start them three days before you're due, so that's 39 tablets

2) I never get like that so I can't answer, sorry! :p:

(Original post by Myiesha_90)
    yeah I used it when I was around twelve... and I found it okay! My periods were a bit heavier though and just as painful as usual.
    May have been less pain because I used to faint every month because of the pain but I remember specifically not fainting on that one...
    You used to faint? Ow you poor thing
    My periods aren't that regular - I've been having them since I was 12 (actually, yeah, I started a month after my 12th birthday) and now I'm 17 in a few months. I've got it down to every four weeks and a few days, but sometimes it's 3 weeks, sometimes its 5 weeks after my last.

I heard with this pill you have to take it 3-4 days before you start? But then if I don't know exactly when I'll start, what should I do?

ReputationRep:
    I heard with this pill you have to take it 3-4 days before you start? But then if I don't know exactly when I'll start, what should I do?
    If you take it as soon as you come on, it'll stop your period that day or the day after at least.

1) Yeah, I got a prescription and there were 60 pills in the pack! You take three a day so you'll need 30 pills. Although you're meant to start them three days before you're due, so that's 39 tablets

2) I never get like that so I can't answer, sorry! :p:
    Oh okay! Thank you for that
    I'm scared to go to the GP! I'm scared to ask my mum to book an appointment at the GP! I'm 16 so could go by myself, but then I want to tell my mum that I'm taking the pills just incase something goes wrong XD

Owww I've got to suck up the courage and do it - It doesn't sound like much but I'm so damn shy

ReputationRep:
    No problem And don't worry about asking your GP! I just told mine I was going on holiday and was due on, so he just presumed I wanted the tablets and that was that!

ReputationRep:
    I've tried and it's painful
    Also, periods make my whole body ache and I really don't want to feel awful on my pretty amazing holiday!
    If they are painful are you sure you're using the right kind for you? My sister can't use the same ones as I do, it is agonising for her!

(Original post by nouvelle_vague)
    If they are painful are you sure you're using the right kind for you? My sister can't use the same ones as I do, it is agonising for her!
    My flow is usually pretty heavy for the first few days - like, I could easily go through 3/4 pads a day with them... "full" eurgh. I tried using medium and heavy, both hurt - I'm a virgin aswell so maybe that's it..

No problem And don't worry about asking your GP! I just told mine I was going on holiday and was due on, so he just presumed I wanted the tablets and that was that!
    Thank youuu

ReputationRep:
    I do it, just take the pill packets back to back (you're supposed to have a 7 day break). I was already on the pill though, told the doctor I needed it for my periods and contraception, he gave me some leaflets, went back and he just gave them to me- but my mate had to have a Chalmydia test, blood pressure checked etc

(Original post by manx1991)
    I do it, just take the pill packets back to back (you're supposed to have a 7 day break). I was already on the pill though, told the doctor I needed it for my periods and contraception, he gave me some leaflets, went back and he just gave them to me- but my mate had to have a Chalmydia test, blood pressure checked etc
    Not the pill, but a pill specifically to delay one period for a week or so.

I don't understand, take which pills back to back?

ReputationRep:
    I was in agony when my period started. Absolute agony. Woke up at 4am, and spent the next twelve hours curled into a ball, surrounded by hot water bottles and medicated up to my eyeballs.
    So yeh, wasn't a great experience for me, but I know it;s quite unusual to be in that level of pain afterwards...most people are fine.

ReputationRep:
    My flow is usually pretty heavy for the first few days - like, I could easily go through 3/4 pads a day with them... "full" eurgh. I tried using medium and heavy, both hurt - I'm a virgin aswell so maybe that's it..
    Ah right, well if that's the case you're definitely better off asking your GP about it. I'm sure it'll be fine, if not there might be different brands of tampons you could use if you really struggle... although I only use Tampax and even at my heaviest (beginning) they're fine for me. Can't remember off hand what the box says, but I'm sure you could do some research in to it if it was your last resort.

Also, when you talk to your GP make sure to mention the fact that you can't use tampons as they hurt you. I know my GP was quite insulting when it came to me starting the pill - I started because I read that they take away your cramp pains depending on what pill you're on - and she was looking at me as if I was shagging everyone in sight.

Just in case you have a **** GP who thinks you want this pill so you don't have to refrain from sex whilst you're on your holiday

Judgemental GPs suck. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Not the pill, but a pill specifically to delay one period for a week or so.

I don't understand, take which pills back to back?
    Well it's the same thing really, I don't know of any other pill that does the same thing... there could be though.

Well, you get a packet of 21 pills and then take a 7 day break for your period, then go back... but I just missed out the 7 day break and it stops the period, I had no side effects.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.