Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Should you phone your firm asap ie 7am when you get your results provided they're updated on time or do you wait 2 hours later then pick them up at school? Thinking that if you go to school you can get advice but you may lose out.

Do unis have a certain time where phonelines are open or do they open as results are in?

ReputationRep:
    bump?

ReputationRep:
    Essentially, it's worth a try to call + beg. I wouldn't call before GETTING your results cos then you can hopefully leverage what you got (e.g. come ooon I only missed A by 3 marks and I got an A in X subject when I only needed a B etc), and the UCAS website sometimes doesn't update from what I have heard if the uni is slow with this kind of stuff.

So I think it won't hurt to call after you get the results, but a tad pointless before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    Essentially, it's worth a try to call + beg. I wouldn't call before GETTING your results cos then you can hopefully leverage what you got (e.g. come ooon I only missed A by 3 marks and I got an A in X subject when I only needed a B etc), and the UCAS website sometimes doesn't update from what I have heard if the uni is slow with this kind of stuff.

So I think it won't hurt to call after you get the results, but a tad pointless before.
    never thought of it that way thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You wanna phone them as soon as possible but equally, I doubt anyone will be in the office before 9am. So I'd say wait until you get to school. My teacher phoned up my firm on my behalf before I even got through the school gates :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    You wanna phone them as soon as possible but equally, I doubt anyone will be in the office before 9am. So I'd say wait until you get to school. My teacher phoned up my firm on my behalf before I even got through the school gates :eek:

lucky you :p: although your entry was probably more important than anybody elses lol. Would you suggest contacting your subject teacher before you say anything or would any teacher do?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    lucky you :p: although your entry was probably more important than anybody elses lol. Would you suggest contacting your subject teacher before you say anything or would any teacher do?
    I've seen you a bit on the Oxbridge forums: am I right in thinking your firm is either Oxford or Cambridge? If so, the decision about whether to take you or not is made a few days earlier by the subject tutor but you can only speak to the college's admissions tutor on the phone. What I'm trying to say is that ringing up and pleading has little effect, so in that case it doesn't matter who phones.

If I've got my wires crossed and your firm isn't an Oxbridge uni... I think general practice is for you to ring up yourself. If you want someone to ring on your behalf, it's probs best to get your Careers adviser, headteacher or Head of Sixth Form to ring up, since they'd have the most experience in these things. The only reason my Music teacher phone up was a) coz he was there anyway and b) he went to Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I've seen you a bit on the Oxbridge forums: am I right in thinking your firm is either Oxford or Cambridge? If so, the decision about whether to take you or not is made a few days earlier by the subject tutor but you can only speak to the college's admissions tutor on the phone. What I'm trying to say is that ringing up and pleading has little effect, so in that case it doesn't matter who phones.

If I've got my wires crossed and your firm isn't an Oxbridge uni... I think general practice is for you to ring up yourself. If you want someone to ring on your behalf, it's probs best to get your Careers adviser, headteacher or Head of Sixth Form to ring up, since they'd have the most experience in these things. The only reason my Music teacher phone up was a) coz he was there anyway and b) he went to Oxford.

nah you got me mixed up, i only rarely post in the oxbridge forums when something apears on the home page which i don't realise is for the oxbridge forums. Also i didn't actually mean get them to phone up on your behalf i meant should we get advice from the teacher before phoning up or just get the results and phone?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    nah you got me mixed up, i only rarely post in the oxbridge forums when something apears on the home page which i don't realise is for the oxbridge forums. Also i didn't actually mean get them to phone up on your behalf i meant should we get advice from the teacher before phoning up or just get the results and phone?
    Ah sorry, complete misunderstanding there. I'd say get advice from a teacher before phoning up. I dunno about anyone else but I was a bit hysterical :o:

ReputationRep:
    There is definitely no point in calling at 7am. Admissions tutors do, not surprisingly, keep similar hours to everyone else.

Bear in mind that universities will have had your results since the Sunday before - those that they consider to have been reasonable acceptances from among the near misses will have been decided - so calling is likely to be a wild goose chase for 99% of those who don't make the requirements and haven't been accepted.

If you do decide to call don't be too optimistic about the outcome. Don't just beg - have a sensible argument prepared - and check on UCAS Track before calling to make sure that your status has actually been confirmed as rejected (there is no point calling if they have accepted you anyway). Review your results before calling in order to be as well-prepared as possible. Don't bother with sob stories of illness or other disadvantage during the exams unless you have previously had your school notify the university of the siutation and have documentary proof. It is too late to play that card on results day.

Bear in mind, also, that your time might be better spent in working on clearing applications rather than hanging on the telephone trying to get through in a forlorn hope that you can change their minds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    There is definitely no point in calling at 7am. Admissions tutors do, not surprisingly, keep similar hours to everyone else.

Bear in mind that universities will have had your results since the Sunday before - those that they consider to have been reasonable acceptances from among the near misses will have been decided - so calling is likely to be a wild goose chase for 99% of those who don't make the requirements and haven't been accepted.

If you do decide to call don't be too optimistic about the outcome. Don't just beg - have a sensible argument prepared - and check on UCAS Track before calling to make sure that your status has actually been confirmed as rejected (there is no point calling if they have accepted you anyway). Review your results before calling in order to be as well-prepared as possible. Don't bother with sob stories of illness or other disadvantage during the exams unless you have previously had your school notify the university of the siutation and have documentary proof. It is too late to play that card on results day.

Bear in mind, also, that your time might be better spent in working on clearing applications rather than hanging on the telephone trying to get through in a forlorn hope that you can change their minds.
    thanks, some nice advice there. Will go for resits than clearing though myself

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.