Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Being used....but like her Watch

Please keep anon.

Basically i met this girl online and we're "good" friends with potential for more maybe. Anyway I'm sure she only talks to me because she has no-one else. She says i'm a good friend to her but she hasn't met me yet after 8 months (she says shes nervous but I think this is an excuse). She makes excuses not to "talk" to me via IM and wont skype me. Shes done other stuff which I won't go in to.I think she's keeping me hanging on until someone "better" comes along but I know we might meet one day-do I just move on from it all and forget her? I like her and like I say we might meet soon. Am I a fool?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Its not going to go anywhere, I think you should move on.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Please keep anon.

Basically i met this girl online and we're "good" friends with potential for more maybe. Anyway I'm sure she only talks to me because she has no-one else. She says i'm a good friend to her but she hasn't met me yet after 8 months (she says shes nervous but I think this is an excuse). She makes excuses not to "talk" to me via IM and wont skype me. Shes done other stuff which I won't go in to.I think she's keeping me hanging on until someone "better" comes along but I know we might meet one day-do I just move on from it all and forget her? I like her and like I say we might meet soon. Am I a fool?
    Umm, in general, people you meet online aren't meant to be real life friends.

So i'd find someone else to talk to

ReputationRep:
    Please keep anon.

are you sure she is who she says she is :/

ReputationRep:
    she probably believes you're only interested in one thing..

ReputationRep:
    Does she live near you?

ReputationRep:
    Is this a joke ?! You need to meet people outside of pixek land - why do you care, you can always talk to another random online!

ReputationRep:
    I was in the same situation as the girl a couple of years ago. I spoke to this guy every night over webcam for literally hours on end, i really really liked him, but didn't want to meet him because I didn't want things to change, i liked the way things were and worried that if i met him, i wouldn't live up to expectations or vice versa.

i don't think anything more will come of you and the girl, but if you're enjoying her company then continue speaking, it won't do any harm.

ReputationRep:
    whoaa.. sorry, but this is as bad as having an 'online girlfriend'
    I bet you can meet loads of great girls in real life and talk to them online as well.
    There are a million reasons why she may not want to meet up - largely because alot of the time people may exaggerate or pretend to be something their not online, because they can.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, AND if she met you and you did end up together or something, then when introducing you to people she'd have to go through the horrible social stigma of actually admitting she met her bf online. Bad times.

(Original post by Lollyage)
    she probably believes you're only interested in one thing..
    No, not every guy's like that.

Whats stopping us being real-life friends?

She lives kinda far away but so?

I know for a fact she is who she says she is.

(Original post by MazMaz)
    i don't think anything more will come of you and the girl, but if you're enjoying her company then continue speaking, it won't do any harm.
    Plenty of people are real-life friends after meetng online. I dont get whats wrong with it?

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of people are real-life friends after meetng online. I dont get whats wrong with it?
    I don't doubt you could be friends or be in a relationship, it's just that people tend to act differently over the internet. I certainly know that I did, as do my friends, it's just something people do.

she's obviously reluctant to meet you and I think this means she's worried she may not live up to expectations. like i said, keep talking to her, you'll only know if you can be "real life" friends once you meet up.

ReputationRep:
    She may be genuine in the fact she is scared. If you know it is for a fact who she says she is, there is likely to be a reason for her not wanting to meet/im/skype. I wouldnt have thought you would talk to someone for 8 months, with the anticipated fact of dropping them when something better comes up.

Talk to her why she dosent want to, in more detail if you can. If not then i guess for you personally it may be better to maybe distance yourself from her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveyouxx)
    Oh, AND if she met you and you did end up together or something, then when introducing you to people she'd have to go through the horrible social stigma of actually admitting she met her bf online. Bad times.
    There's still stigma attached to that? Anyway, they could both just lie.

(Original post by tom_tom_tom)
    I wouldnt have thought you would talk to someone for 8 months, with the anticipated fact of dropping them when something better comes up.
    some people are cruel-maybe shes just like that? I dont know her that well see- and the longer it drags on the less keen I get to meet and my own oh she might not like me insecurties come in. And then if we dont meet its a waste of 8 months building up to meet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver)
    There's still stigma attached to that? Anyway, they could both just lie.
    Well I don't know about anyone else and their group of friends, but I would get the piss ripped right out of me if I fancied someone I'd only ever spoken to online and wanted to meet them and go out with them.

Sometimes there are things that just stay cyber. Like penpals, but technologically moved on a bit

ReputationRep:
    There's one person who I've known for five years 100% online. I'd be happy to meet him in real life, but I wouldn't meet anyone else. Keep her online, as just a friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveyouxx)
    Well I don't know about anyone else and their group of friends, but I would get the piss ripped right out of me if I fancied someone I'd only ever spoken to online and wanted to meet them and go out with them.

Sometimes there are things that just stay cyber. Like penpals, but technologically moved on a bit
    I think if you were really that interested in someone online, you would actually care if people took the piss out of you. But that's just me.
    Besides, there's not that much of a barrier between real life and the inernets.
    I mean, we're still interacting, that's the idea.

ReputationRep:
    move on. billions of fish to to fry, this one clearly doesnt want to get in the pan

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.