Secondary PGCE with an Engineering Degree Watch

Don John
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey all, I'm guessing this has been asked before but I'm hopefully going to start studying a 4 year MEng in Civil Engineering with Construction Management this September - would doing the first three years (BEng) allow me to teach Maths or Physics with the 'Teach First' programme I've heard about? What other subjects would I be able to teach?

Thanks to all who reply
Mr M
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Don John)
Hey all, I'm guessing this has been asked before but I'm hopefully going to start studying a 4 year MEng in Civil Engineering with Construction Management this September - would doing the first three years (BEng) allow me to teach Maths or Physics with the 'Teach First' programme I've heard about? What other subjects would I be able to teach?

Thanks to all who reply
My understanding is you don't get to choose what you teach if you join Teach First - I believe you are allocated to a subject.

"Teach First may place you to teach in:

• Either a subject related to your degree

• Or a subject that you achieved either an A or B grade in at A-level

Should you join the programme Teach First will allocate you to a subject, in which you will teach at least 50% of your timetable, in the following way:

If you have a degree or A-level (at A/B grade) in a STEM subject (these are Science, IT, Design Technology and Maths) you will be allocated to one of these subjects. Please note you must have two science A-levels to be considered for this subject."

If you were to train to teach in the more conventional way, I would suggest the Engineering Diploma, Design Technology, Mathematics and Physics would all be suitable choices.
Don John
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Mr M)
My understanding is you don't get to choose what you teach if you join Teach First - I believe you are allocated to a subject.

"Teach First may place you to teach in:

• Either a subject related to your degree

• Or a subject that you achieved either an A or B grade in at A-level

Should you join the programme Teach First will allocate you to a subject, in which you will teach at least 50% of your timetable, in the following way:

If you have a degree or A-level (at A/B grade) in a STEM subject (these are Science, IT, Design Technology and Maths) you will be allocated to one of these subjects. Please note you must have two science A-levels to be considered for this subject."

If you were to train to teach in the more conventional way, I would suggest the Engineering Diploma, Design Technology, Mathematics and Physics would all be suitable choices.
Well I'm doing maths further maths physics and history so i could teach any three of maths physics or history, but then civil engineering would open up geography or even geology
thanks for your help mate
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (5)
50%
No - I got the required grades (4)
40%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (1)
10%

Watched Threads