Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, I'm guessing this has been asked before but I'm hopefully going to start studying a 4 year MEng in Civil Engineering with Construction Management this September - would doing the first three years (BEng) allow me to teach Maths or Physics with the 'Teach First' programme I've heard about? What other subjects would I be able to teach?

Thanks to all who reply
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Don John)
    Hey all, I'm guessing this has been asked before but I'm hopefully going to start studying a 4 year MEng in Civil Engineering with Construction Management this September - would doing the first three years (BEng) allow me to teach Maths or Physics with the 'Teach First' programme I've heard about? What other subjects would I be able to teach?

Thanks to all who reply
    My understanding is you don't get to choose what you teach if you join Teach First - I believe you are allocated to a subject.

"Teach First may place you to teach in:

• Either a subject related to your degree

• Or a subject that you achieved either an A or B grade in at A-level

Should you join the programme Teach First will allocate you to a subject, in which you will teach at least 50% of your timetable, in the following way:

If you have a degree or A-level (at A/B grade) in a STEM subject (these are Science, IT, Design Technology and Maths) you will be allocated to one of these subjects. Please note you must have two science A-levels to be considered for this subject."

If you were to train to teach in the more conventional way, I would suggest the Engineering Diploma, Design Technology, Mathematics and Physics would all be suitable choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    My understanding is you don't get to choose what you teach if you join Teach First - I believe you are allocated to a subject.

"Teach First may place you to teach in:

• Either a subject related to your degree

• Or a subject that you achieved either an A or B grade in at A-level

Should you join the programme Teach First will allocate you to a subject, in which you will teach at least 50% of your timetable, in the following way:

If you have a degree or A-level (at A/B grade) in a STEM subject (these are Science, IT, Design Technology and Maths) you will be allocated to one of these subjects. Please note you must have two science A-levels to be considered for this subject."

If you were to train to teach in the more conventional way, I would suggest the Engineering Diploma, Design Technology, Mathematics and Physics would all be suitable choices.
    Well I'm doing maths further maths physics and history so i could teach any three of maths physics or history, but then civil engineering would open up geography or even geology
    thanks for your help mate

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.