Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, I'm guessing this has been asked before but I'm hopefully going to start studying a 4 year MEng in Civil Engineering with Construction Management this September - would doing the first three years (BEng) allow me to teach Maths or Physics with the 'Teach First' programme I've heard about? What other subjects would I be able to teach?

Thanks to all who reply
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Don John)
    Hey all, I'm guessing this has been asked before but I'm hopefully going to start studying a 4 year MEng in Civil Engineering with Construction Management this September - would doing the first three years (BEng) allow me to teach Maths or Physics with the 'Teach First' programme I've heard about? What other subjects would I be able to teach?

Thanks to all who reply
    My understanding is you don't get to choose what you teach if you join Teach First - I believe you are allocated to a subject.

"Teach First may place you to teach in:

• Either a subject related to your degree

• Or a subject that you achieved either an A or B grade in at A-level

Should you join the programme Teach First will allocate you to a subject, in which you will teach at least 50% of your timetable, in the following way:

If you have a degree or A-level (at A/B grade) in a STEM subject (these are Science, IT, Design Technology and Maths) you will be allocated to one of these subjects. Please note you must have two science A-levels to be considered for this subject."

If you were to train to teach in the more conventional way, I would suggest the Engineering Diploma, Design Technology, Mathematics and Physics would all be suitable choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    My understanding is you don't get to choose what you teach if you join Teach First - I believe you are allocated to a subject.

"Teach First may place you to teach in:

• Either a subject related to your degree

• Or a subject that you achieved either an A or B grade in at A-level

Should you join the programme Teach First will allocate you to a subject, in which you will teach at least 50% of your timetable, in the following way:

If you have a degree or A-level (at A/B grade) in a STEM subject (these are Science, IT, Design Technology and Maths) you will be allocated to one of these subjects. Please note you must have two science A-levels to be considered for this subject."

If you were to train to teach in the more conventional way, I would suggest the Engineering Diploma, Design Technology, Mathematics and Physics would all be suitable choices.
    Well I'm doing maths further maths physics and history so i could teach any three of maths physics or history, but then civil engineering would open up geography or even geology
    thanks for your help mate

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.