Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    edit: nvm

ReputationRep:
    When you open a bank account, your bank card has a 6 digit sort code on it like this:

11-22-33

This code identifies the bank location at which the account was made.

You can then use this bank card in any bank branch for any purpose e.g. withdrawing money, asking for an overdraft etc.

The only time that it is ever really a problem is that, no matter what your current address, they will always send new cards etc to your original bank location where you first set up the account - London in your case. (Do bear in mind, some banks simply post cards out recorded delivery to your address registered to the account, other require you to go in branch).

If you were to ask them to transfer branch, this would require them changing your sort code, and cancelling your current card, and reissuing a new one.

It really doesn't matter. I have bank accounts registered in 3 different cities around the UK. Whenever they have posted a new card to a branch I no longer live near, I simply call them up and they redirect it to the branch most convenient to me. I have had to do this twice in about 7 years, so it doesn't really matter.

Go ahead and set up an account where is most convenient for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lemily)
    The only time that it is ever really a problem is that, no matter what your current address, they will always send new cards etc to your original bank location where you first set up the account - London in your case. (Do bear in mind, some banks simply post cards out recorded delivery to your address registered to the account, other require you to go in branch).
    I have had bank accounts with RBS, Halifax, Nationwide, Alliance and Leicester and HSBC and all of them posted my debit card to my registered address, not my branch.

And even if they do send to branch you can request it's sent to a different branch rather than your home branch anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    I have had bank accounts with RBS, Halifax, Nationwide, Alliance and Leicester and HSBC and all of them posted my debit card to my registered address, not my branch.

And even if they do send to branch you can request it's sent to a different branch rather than your home branch anyway!
    That's interesting. Two of my HSBC ones got sent to both the branches where I initially set up the card, rather than my registered address. All the others have gone straight to my address.

Its obviously not much of a problem to call up and have it re-directed, but it happened to me so worth a mention I though.

ReputationRep:
    I got told you can't transfer accounts between branches as the branch I opened my account in is no longer my nearest. They should be able to send cards to an alternative location, if you haven't recently moved they can send your card to your address, but if they want to send it to a branch you can request which one it's sent to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.