Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi, just wanted to know about average cross section of TSR.

are most people from private or state schools? do you wish you had gone to a private or state and didn't? or were you home-educated?

personally i'm not sure there is any point paying for a private primary school, but can see the benefits of going to a private secondary (educationally).

This is probably because my state run primary acted very much like a private - had its own outdoor swimming pool, no uniform, very very good education standards, brilliant teachers, massive curriculum, loads of music lessons for free - singing lessons with a teacher called Mrs Nightingale (how wierd!!!), anyway very good. But secondary not so great, eg mixed ability english GCSE classes, and when i say mixed, half the class predicted U's (no joke) and the rest A - B's HUGE split, crap teachers. Many still got good grades and the school is actually one of top in the county, but i think it seriously failed quite a few people.

Anyway what do you think? experiences? ideas?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think state schools are a better place for learning how to cope in the real world, I went to state school and it didnt do me anyharm, I wouldnt of wanted to go to private school. I dont think that a state school can be blamed for bad grades, I think that you can get good grades in any school if you put the work in.

ReputationRep:
    State school all the way! It's not the school that achieves the grades, it's YOU.

ReputationRep:
    Private secondary school. State 6th form college.
    Enjoy the state one more.
    People at private were utter ***** [most of them]. That is, rich, upper/middle class spoilt brats who thought the world owed them a living. They tried to act gangster-ish, and hard, and it's like "no...you go to a PRIVATE school". All followed each other like sheep, no one had an individual opinion (i'm generalising here, a couple of people were genuinely nice people.

At the state school, there are a few *******, but you get that everywhere, I suppose.
    Also, there are a lot of immature people there. I don't really like that many people there.

Um....yeah. My view.

EDIT: both the same in terms of education...for me anyway, since I am fairly self-motivated. Private school pushed you more though, and state school took the mentality that if you don't work, all you're doing is ******* up your own life... no skin off their nose, which is, I'd assume, more the university point of view.

ReputationRep:
    I go to a private boarding school so my view might be biased, but I reckon that its pretty obvious that generally private schools are better academically and pretty much in every other area...

ReputationRep:
    Private

(Original post by Soylent Green)
    I go to a private boarding school so my view might be biased, but I reckon that its pretty obvious that generally private schools are better academically and pretty much in every other area...
    I agree with this

ReputationRep:
    This has been done to the death. Anyways I go to a private school in Croydon and tbh I haven't looked back. The subjects you do are more relevant and are not dumbed down like in other state schools. For example, I lot of my friends didn't do full maths but they did statistics whatever the hell that is. And they also do really irrelevant subjects like textiles, home economics and accounting but all the power to them. I probably sound like a snobbish prick but to sum thigs up I am glad that my parents put me through private education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    New thread.
    have i posted in wrong place or done something wrong?? sorry new here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    I think state schools are a better place for learning how to cope in the real world, I went to state school and it didnt do me anyharm, I wouldnt of wanted to go to private school. I dont think that a state school can be blamed for bad grades, I think that you can get good grades in any school if you put the work in.
    I agree with this slightly

Going to a state school makes you more of a social person who can mix well with people of all backgrounds, giving you what I feel is a better "personality" in the workplace.

However, academically wise, the clear option is private school, of course you could argue the natural intelligence case but without nurturing that intelligence, it can be hard to transfer into grades. (Think of it like this, a young footballer is more than likely to succeed if brought through a top youth academy rather than his local team one if you get me)

Either way, if you put the effort in and are a naturally gifted person, you should breeze through either way if you ask me

ReputationRep:
    I go to a "private" school, but it's actually a cross between a private and a state school, because the teachers are great, the facilities are crap, so is the food. I think many state schools have better equipment and food and buildings than we do. Many people are quite full of themselves but definitely not everyone, I met some amazing friends here.

Even with all the inconveniences, I'd always pick this school over a state one because it's my only chance to take A levels and have a proper English education. I absolutely love the teachers, especially compared to the standard there is is state schools around here. I do agree that for primary it's not that important (I went to a Catholic primary school which was free but better than state schools which proved very useful to me later on). However, for years 10-13 I think it's well worth it, for the better standard of education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    I think state schools are a better place for learning how to cope in the real world
    What makes you say that?
    Just out of interest, seeing as I've never been to a state school

ReputationRep:
    I paid a £1000 a year for my "private" education lol so it was really crap. Bad facilities, hardly any clubs pr anything interesting to do. Stuck it out for five years and glad to be leaving now.

Government wont fund such schools and people wont pay much. Truly independent (****)

ReputationRep:
    I started out in a state primary school but was moved to a priavte one after a few months as it was really bad. I then was privately educated up untill sixth form when I went to a state college.

OP, you said that you cannot see the benefit of a private primary. Well IMO it acts as a solid foundation on which to build your further education, people might not get into a private secondary school if they went to a state primary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    What makes you say that?
    Just out of interest, seeing as I've never been to a state school
    I think he means that you learn how to speak to people with lower intelligence than you.

I dunno, as I've only been to a private school too

ReputationRep:
    ive been to both. And I say if you are clever enough and have enough social skills not to get beat up, go State.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consilio Et Animis)
    I paid a £1000 a year for my "private" education lol so it was really crap. Bad facilities, hardly any clubs pr anything interesting to do. Stuck it out for five years and glad to be leaving now.

Government wont fund such schools and people wont pay much. Truly independent (****)
    But TBF, that's peanuts for a private school. Mine was by no means posh and was over £3000 per term so it is understandable why your facilities were not that great.

ReputationRep:
    I go to a state school.

It's not a challenge to beat academically and I know that. It's fairly obvious, to be honest. The grammar and private schools in my area kick our arse every single year. But I still did pretty well out of it, so that's not a huge problem (for me, anyway).

I love my school. It's brilliant - it's really friendly, the lessons are good and some of the teachers are phonomenally epic. I shall be sad when I have to leave.

That said, I'd probably have loved a private school - it might have been just as friendly, the lessons may have been equally as good if not better and I'm sure the teaching would also have been excellent.

But I only have one viewpoint. And I'm happy with that viewpoint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    I think he means that you learn how to speak to people with lower intelligence than you.
    I wouldn't really have thought you had to speak to them any differently. Not in an ordinary conversation anyway
    And I'm sure there are plenty of "unintelligent" people at private schools too. Just because you have rich parents doesn't make you intelligent...

ReputationRep:
    search function :sigh:

State school. Hate it although some teachers are awsome. Chav filled .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consilio Et Animis)

Not trying to sound posh but that doesnt seem enough for a private school...In comparison mines about £25,000 a year not including air fare.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.