Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I went to a state school, and if I ever have children I would also send them to a state school. I honestly don't like the concept of private schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Also I would love to know how you arrived at your figure of £9000, given that it is

a) comfortably more than the entire education budget and so would most certainly not save money, and;
    b) more than the average fees for a private school.

P.S. Middle income families would still be totally unable to afford the fees of top private schools.
    Agreed - the Taxpayer's Alliance says that the UK spends £75,000 per child to give them 11 years schooling. That's a bit less than £7,000 a year.

I think that I would rather a lump sum of money than vouchers. Give a person £7,000 to pay a school a year and you get schools that cost £7,000 a year. Let them keep any of that £7,000 by shopping around, and you get schools that cost less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tony2DaMax)
    proof of the level of education at state schools

It's "have" not "of"

e.g. I wouldn't have gone
    Their is nothing wrong with the level of education at state schools, I'm just bad at writing :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'd have preferred a public school over a state school, at least from Year 9 onwards at least.

I was supposed to go to public school when I was in Year 4, but my parents got divorced and my mother could only afford to pay for my older brother and sister, so it was out for me.

I ended up going to a decent state school, the facilities were fantastic, teachers on the other-hand, were not up to scratch. Most did not care for my year group or any of its students, and the teaching wasn't brilliant either, save for a few teachers. My year group was the worst year group in 10 years, and was filled with drop-outs and druggies (hard drugs), though a lot of people were middle-class, they were extremely lazy and having friends that didn't aspire, doesn't really help one's ambition to work and stuff.

So, I only say I'd have preferred going into private education because I feel as if I'd have been around better influences and nurtured more if I had gone, gotten better grades and be further along in life than I am now. Though my school was decent, they didn't have the support systems in place that the public school I was supposed to go to, I know this through my cousins who were my age, but went there.

That all said, I'm glad I went to state school, met the people I did, the way things happened, for better or for worse. It made me what I am today, and though I am far from perfect, I am pretty happy. I could have ended up a much better person in private education and everything I currently aspire to become, or I may have crumbled under the pressure and ended up like one of the drop-outs/druggies in my year anyway, I'll never know. It's done now and there's nothing I can do to change the past.

However, when I have children. I believe I will be sending them to a state school for the first part of their life, and then to a private school for secondary school or sixth form, when they can appreciate the private education. Unless he/she has already done well and wants to remain in state education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Also I would love to know how you arrived at your figure of £9000, given that it is

a) comfortably more than the entire education budget and so would most certainly not save money, and;
    b) more than the average fees for a private school.

P.S. Middle income families would still be totally unable to afford the fees of top private schools.
    It costs the state more than £9000 a year to send a child through a year of school. That is a fact.

If by "top" private schools you are referring to boarding schools then yes that is true, but the "top" schools, that im assuming you decide based on league tables aren't boarding schools. Plus schools would compete with each other to reduce fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    Their is nothing wrong with the level of education at state schools, I'm just bad at writing :p:
    You used the dreaded comma splice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattbroon)
    It costs the state more than £9000 a year to send a child through a year of school. That is a fact.
    Education budget: £80 billion.
    Number of students in state sector: ~9 million
    Total cost at £9000 per student: £81 billion > £80 billion.

What are your sources?

If by "top" private schools you are referring to boarding schools then yes that is true [...]
    By top private schools, I mean those that would give the best opportunities for their students (e.g. Winchester with, in particular, its fantastic chemistry facilities). You cannot claim that "this will [...] give everyone the same options that currently only the rich have" if some schools are still beyond their reach.

i wanted to go to a private school but my mum is a silly liberal and said she didnt agree with paying for education, but i did alright! lol

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.