Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I nearly went to a private school but it was single sex and a bus journey away whereas the state school I attend is mixed and just up the road. I've enjoyed my time at my school and wonder whether I'd have had the same experience if I'd gone to the private school (ie I have a mixed set of friends). I think if you are bright, determined and self-motivated then you will do well regardless of what school you go to.

My school gets about 85% 5 A*-C grades at GCSE, the girls private gets 99% which is never going to be beaten by any state school in my area. However, the boys gets 90%, meaning we're not that dissimilar really. Although, of course, in the main, private schools are always going to achieve better results - parents want value for money and they can be selective.

Anyway, I like it and for me that's all that matters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    So the fact that I made a typing error indicates that the standard of state school education is inferior.
    Are you saying it's not inferior?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Are you saying it's not inferior?
    I wouldn't make such a blanket statement.
    While the standard of education in some state schools is vastly below that of many private schools, I do not think that it would be correct to state that if you go to a private school you will automatically recieve a better education.
    I think it is grossly unfair that such discrepancies exist within the education system and as I wrote before, I think private schools are a barrier to equality and social cohesion.

ReputationRep:
    private school-been there done that had too much fun probably would have gotten better gcses had i not left but hey..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katierattray)
    To me an education is what it is and throwing money at a private school that seems better than a state school is lunacy and people from private schools dont recieive a better education just because they went to a private school.
    Well, it's not because it's "private" but generally...

Some of the sweeping generalisations are rather ridiculous. Not all state school students are unintelligent or academically inferior; not all state students are better prepared for the "real world" and social situations. Not all those privately educated are snobs; not all those privately educated do not know how to socially interact. Not all state schools are better (and, as the many reports indicate, far too many are failing) and not all private schools are good. There's good and bad in both, just as nice and irritating people attend both.

But there is evidence that those that are privately educated generally do better, and I can't see that this is all down to genetics or whatever else you wish to attribute it to. The simple fact is, is that people cannot ultimately transcend their education if it is poor (and even if they do well, who’s saying that they’re fulfilling their academic potential?). There is evidence to demonstrate that those who attend most -- I'm not saying all are good -- private schools have better academic opportunities.

Last summer, figures published by the Joint Council for Qualifications showed the gulf between private schools and comprehensives widened over the last six years, with the independent sector seeing a 9.1 percentage point increase in the number of A grades awarded between 2002 and 2008 – from 41.3 per cent to 50.4 per cent. Over the same period, top grades in comprehensives increased by 3.9 points to 20.4 per cent.

Figures for more than 317,000 A-level students in England, Wales and Northern Ireland showed a record number of exams were awarded A grades as top marks. At least one in 10 pupils gained straight As, although that figure increased to around a third among pupils from independent schools.
    Although obviously this is a circular debate because people on both sides of the fence seem to have their own prejudices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Well for starts private schools generally get better grades than state schools. But if it's not the fact that the private schools are better than the state ones, what is it ... is that middle class families are genetically more intelligent than working class families?

I think it's the better quality of teaching in private schools.
    The quality of teaching is a small part of what grades you get I have had some dreadful teachers one got the sack due to his teaching and I still got a good grade from the class because I studied alot.

ReputationRep:
    I do not think that it would be correct to state that if you go to a private school you will automatically recieve a better education. [...] I think private schools are a barrier to equality and social cohesion.
    How can you say that the quality of education might not be better, yet private schools are "barrier[strike] to equality"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambielina)

Some of the sweeping generalisations are rather ridiculous. Not all state school students are unintelligent or academically inferior; not all state students are better prepared for the "real world" and social situations. Not all those privately educated are snobs; not all those privately educated do not know how to socially interact. Not all state schools are better (and, as the many reports indicate, far too many are failing) and not all private schools are good. There's good and bad in both, just as nice and irritating people attend both.

But there is evidence that those that are privately educated generally do better, and I can't see that this is all down to genetics or whatever else you wish to attribute it to. The simple fact is, is that people cannot ultimately transcend their education if it is poor (and even if they do well, who’s saying that they’re fulfilling their academic potential?). There is evidence to demonstrate that those who attend most -- I'm not saying all are good -- private schools have better academic opportunities.

Although obviously this is a circular debate because people on both sides of the fence seem to have their own prejudices.
    I think that most of the students that go to private schools want the best grades they can get due to their ambitions this is why they do better and not the school. A higher percentage of state school students are aiming for lower or they just dont care. In my opinon this is why the private schools have Higher pass rates and its not the standard of the school. You make your own future not the school you go to.

If every school follows a circulum for the subjects and has nearly all of the same choices for what subjects to take then how can a private school be better. As I said an education is an education its not something that can be bought.

ReputationRep:
    Private schools are what you make of them I guess.

It was small.

I hated it for many reasons, I got bullied, to many girls around, people are so fazed by the wealth and of course the constant need and pressure to be the best...

But I also hate people from state schools, who automatically label me as "stuck up"- get a grip, and stop being jealous

ReputationRep:
    Privately educated from prep school to 6th form - at state school I would probably have been held back or put through a living nightmare if they let me jump years.
    I also doubt I'd have had the extra-curricular activity access I had.

The schools I went to were excellent, I totally agree with access to private education - but I believe every effort should be made to bring state teaching standards up to the same levels provided at the schools I attended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by * Brooke *)
    Anyway what do you think? experiences? ideas?

thanks
    I don't get the fuss about the constant 'state V private' debates.

You can do well from a crap state school because exams these days are piss. If you're crap, you won't be able to do well from a crap state school, but might be able to get the grades from a good private school where you're spoon-fed everything. But then when it comes to university, it separates the men from the boys and naturally talented (regardless of previous education) do well and the thick bimbo's that scrapped in because of daddy's money don't do well. Simples.

Bottom line: If you're good enough, you'll do well.

Experiences -- probably not a lot of difference. There would be enough variety in any school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    How can you say that the quality of education might not be better, yet private schools are "barrier[strike] to equality"?
    Because of the advantage in life you almost automatically recieve by attending one. It is not simply to do with the standard of education but the good facilities and prestige associated with private schools. They also have smaller classes which means even the less bright students tend to do well, or at least better than they would in a state school.
    In short, they equip pupils to succeed where that success may be independent of ability. This provides private school pupils with an unfair advantage over state school pupils, many of who may be just as talented (if not more so) but who have not had the coaching and extra help that private school pupils benefit from.

ReputationRep:
    I know for sure that grammar > comprehensives, always. However, I would hesitate to send my (future) children to a private school, because of a lack of a decent representative cross-section of society.

ReputationRep:
    not state school.. grammar school best of both worlds!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambielina)

I agree.

ReputationRep:
    Was state educated all throughout my school career , and I spent my first two years at a secondary school with a 5 A*-C rate of 16%.Things were very bad there - most of the time teachers spent was on behaviour management rather than actually teaching something.I also got a bit of stick from people for being "clever" there at the time.After then I moved to a fairly good state school in the area and stayed on at the sixth form there.

Probably did wish I went to a private school tbh , if only becuase I'd have liked a bit more competition academically , where where I could learn things off other students and talk things through.I am glad though I've met a wide variety of people (even though I alienated quite a few) at state school.

Private schools perpetuate inequality and are a barrier to social cohesion. I fundamentally disagree with the concept of private schools, and the idea of 'buying' ones education.
    I can't disagree with the idea of buying a better education as long as the state system is screwed as it is I'm afraid (one example , private schools using IGCSEs as opposed to the watered down GCSEs).I've said this a few times but there's no point trying to get people who aren't particularly bright learning stuff which they won't even understand and be able to use.And also there's no point in not teaching very able people very advanced stuff and stretching them because you have to pander to the majority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmeenax)
    I know for sure that grammar > comprehensives, always.
    What about, say, Dame Alice Owen's?

They also have smaller classes which means even the less bright students tend to do well, or at least better than they would in a state school.
    This is the quality of education, non?

This provides private school pupils with an unfair advantage over state school pupils, many of who may be just as talented (if not more so) but who have not had the coaching and extra help that private school pupils benefit from.
    Would you be in favour of introducing more grammar schools?

ReputationRep:
    I went to a private school, and I'm glad I did because I really really loved my school. The idea that I'm socially inept because I had a private education (at an all-girls' private, nonetheless) is inane to me. It's not as if going to a fee-paying school means that you enter an exclusive world above all the plebs, my social interactions weren't limited to my school life and I'd assume most other people's weren't either.

The only downside to my particular school was that we were absolutely spoon-fed our education, my largest class was seven people for A2 and going from that, to a university like Manchester has meant I've had to swiftly buck up my ideas. Private schools are generally a lot smaller, and much more individually supportive - my degree requires a lot of self-motivation and independent learning that I've just never really had to do before.

ReputationRep:
    I usually avoid posting in these threads because I invariably get negged :unsure:
    However, I think saying that people who go to private schools aren't as "well prepared for the real world" in general is utter nonsense.
    With the exception of boarding schools, maybe.
    x

ReputationRep:
    I went to a really poor state primary
    and then a grammar for secondary and sixth form.

One thing I fail to understand is why there is such a massive divide between the state and private sector, or why is that image coming across in this thread. I go to a state school. Admittedly it's a grammar and so not typical of a state school. But are comps really that bad?

I probably sound super ignorant but the way some people go on about them here its like its a constant battle ground with no one working and people getting stabbed in the playground. I exaggerate of course but surely it can't be that bad?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.