Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My schools highest ever pass rate A*-C was 62%. Ever, however they believe that my year may have beaten that.

ReputationRep:
    Mine was supposed to be a state school but they used some education act from way back when to become independent of the government and local education authority. I think they did it to get out of languages and RE being compulsory (before languages were made optional).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by katierattray)
    The quality of teaching is a small part of what grades you get I have had some dreadful teachers one got the sack due to his teaching and I still got a good grade from the class because I studied alot.
    Yes as you say the quality of teaching makes up a part of the grade you get and if this is higher, which it almost always is at private schools, you have a better chance of getting a good grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    I don't get the fuss about the constant 'state V private' debates.

You can do well from a crap state school because exams these days are piss. If you're crap, you won't be able to do well from a crap state school, but might be able to get the grades from a good private school where you're spoon-fed everything. But then when it comes to university, it separates the men from the boys and naturally talented (regardless of previous education) do well and the thick bimbo's that scrapped in because of daddy's money don't do well. Simples.

Bottom line: If you're good enough, you'll do well.

Experiences -- probably not a lot of difference. There would be enough variety in any school.
    hey, you said exams are piss as in easy? i found GCSEs easy, they are really, but you think A levels were really easy as well? i thought they were quite difficult (but i'm not that clever) like particularly History and Chemistry (didnt take chem but from what other people & teachers have said)

just wondering

ReputationRep:
    I went to a state school - it was ok generally, as teaching standards were quite high and the school had a good reputation. Also, many people got good results and went on to good universities.

It could be a bit rough though. I preferred Sixth Form, as most of the time-wasters had left by then! I kind of wish I'd gone to a private school though (if I'd had the opportunity to) as I may have been better suited to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Yes as you say the quality of teaching makes up a part of the grade you get and if this is higher, which it almost always is at private schools, you have a better chance of getting a good grade.
    State schools have good teachers just like private schools, I dont think it betters the chance of getting a good grade I just betters the chance of getting a grade instead of faling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    What about, say, Dame Alice Owen's?

This is the quality of education, non?

Would you be in favour of introducing more grammar schools?
    No I wouldn't actually. I think we need a truly egalitarian education system. Private schools should be abolished and absorbed into the state sector and there should be a uniform school system i.e, all schools become 'streamed' comprehensives in effect. This ensures all children benefit from the same advantages and privileges. The more capable students would be stretched academically (by putting them into higher ability classes) but it would not be at the expense of the other pupils who would not be disregarded and ignored, which is often what occurs when you have the 11+ system.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    State schools have good teachers just like private schools, I dont think it betters the chance of getting a good grade I just betters the chance of getting a grade instead of faling.
    No one cares what you 'think', it is fact that private schools get better overall grades than state schools generally.

ReputationRep:
    i've just finished a private all male 6th form, hopefully i'll have good grades but it was soo boring, sure we had fun but it was full of really dull uninteresting people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    No one cares what you 'think', it is fact that private schools get better overall grades than state schools generally.
    But that could be because people who go to state school want to do well not just because they have good teachers and facilities.

ReputationRep:
    If i could have afforded private i would have loved to go but as not i went to a state & its not too bad teaches the stuff well & great banters

ReputationRep:
    I went to a state school and that's why Cambridge didn't accept me.

That's what I tell myself when I'm feeling down...

ReputationRep:
    I've been to a private school all my life.
    I wouldn't have wanted to go to a state school.
    They all seem pretty rowdy and aggressive. E.g. My school is up the road from one so we take the same buses, and they ALWAYS try to starts fights with their bad attitude comments. I'd hate to be like that!
    Education wise, sometimes it seems like state education is better. They have more options and facilities. The teachers have to have done a training course, wheras in private they don't so really **** teachers have been employed. But at my school we're pretty good at getting those sacked =D lol. However, being in a class with some of the people in state schools might make it difficult to learn.
    So I say private schools ftw!

ReputationRep:
    i've been to both (state school from from year 0 - year 8, private school year 9 - year 11) and i found they're actually just as **** as each other.

i'd say (results-wise) private schools have the upper hand, but as far as life experience and being around people who aren't a mile up their own arse, state schools are the better option.

i honestly didn't know what my mum was paying for when she sent me to a private school tbh. she paid £50 a day and the teachers were just the same (if not worse) as the ones from my state school and the facilities were absolutely cackkkk. i ended up coming out with average-ish results too. so, MONEY WELL SPENT. :top: :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    No I wouldn't actually. I think we need a truly egalitarian education system. Private schools should be abolished and absorbed into the state sector and there should be a uniform school system i.e, all schools become 'streamed' comprehensives in effect. This ensures all children benefit from the same advantages and privileges. The more capable students would be stretched academically (by putting them into higher ability classes) but it would not be at the expense of the other pupils who would not be disregarded and ignored, which is often what occurs when you have the 11+ system.
    I agree with you to an extent but could you elaborate on the bit in bold?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    But that could be because people who go to state school want to do well not just because they have good teachers and facilities.
    I'm sure the motivation their parents had has been passed down to them, at least somewhat, yes. But better teaching also helps.

ReputationRep:
    We had this debate in my A-Level Sociology class, and my teacher said that in private schools teachers do not have to have the same qualifications (teacher training, degree etc) as they do in state schools. Private schools also do not have to follow the national curriculum. The main advantage is that there are fewer pupils in a class so teachers can spend more time with individuals...but some may find that universities try to attract more state school pupils, so private school students are penalised slightly (this was the case in some of the unis I applied to anyway).

ReputationRep:
    Greetings!!

I have been to a private school since year 7 and I absolutely love it! I was given the option by my parents to go to the local state school (who have quite good results) but chose not to.

I do not regret that decision even though it lost me quite a few friends from my state primary who suddenly turned on me.

Whilst at my school there are some idiots who use their parents' money to get them everywhere, the majority of people are decent and hardworking.

However, I do believe that I am quite a grounded person having kept in contact with people from state education who do not let me get too big for my boots!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    Although i agree that the 11+ is an arbitary measure. I don't think a purely streamed comprehensive would work that well, as all the children will still have to attend the same school. The problem in many schools is that isn't 'cool' to be clever and a streamed comprehensive would ferment this sentiment. I think grammar schools as a whole are a good thing as they give an excellent education that you would otherwise have to pay for. I don't want to have kids until i know i able to send them to a private school or grammar school (i.e. i live in the catchment), education is so important and everyone only gets one chance at it.

ReputationRep:
    State grammar :boogie:
    Excellent education, no costs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.