Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    State grammar :boogie:
    Excellent education, no costs.
    +1 best option imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doublereedfreak)
    State school. I wouldn't be the same person or have learned some of the harsh lessons that I have.
    I've achieved well and I know it's all my own work from my own motivation and making the best of all my opportunities.
    yes this is true; you feel more proud to know it is your own motivation.

ReputationRep:
    To all those that say you meet more kinds of people at state school; what a load of rubbish.
    At my private school we have people from cultures all over the world, not just the usual chavs/emos from the same area.

ReputationRep:
    state school, wouldnt mind going private though, my schools full of chavs and losers

ReputationRep:
    I live in Aberdeenshire where all the state schools are pretty great (my school being one of the best in scotland) i think private school is totally pointless if you are brought up in a good area like mine where the teachers are good , the results are good and the people are friendly.
    i can understand however if your arent living in as good an area as mine but i do feel they are really pointless in areas such as mine and that people go there so there parents can show off their money. For example my dads mate sent all his girls to gordonstoun (where prince charles went i think) none of them have ended up in jobs that are seen to be the best jobs eg doctors , lawyers. One is a farmers wife, another works in PR , one is studying sport and one is a lifeguard. Dont get me wrong i quite fancy working in PR myself if i dont get into teaching but three of my mates are hoping to to medicine , one wants to be vet , a a couple want to be lawyers and another two want to study languages - one of which is applying to oxford. So personally i think my dads mate should have just sent his kids to my school as it hasnr really helped them.
    I dont think private schools help you as i know from my school anyway that anyone whos ambitous can succeed and if your not then you wont no matter what school you go to private or state. Personally i went from getting grade 5's in maths (like getting an F basically in scotland) to getting a 3 (like a C) which shows that just cos we're at a state school doesnt mean we dont have ambition.
    Obvioulsy however i realise not all state schools are as good as ours and i dont agree with how some schols have mixed level classes mine is split into top,middle and bottom sets in all subjects which i think is better.

- Sorry for the really long essay of a comment! rant over!

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the school. My only real opinion is that single sex schools can seriously warp your self esteem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    They have to be separated at some point.

no they dont! in scotland we dont have an 11+ test thank god i hear about it on the news and it seems so ridiculous to me. Scottish results are pretty good and we dont have this "seperation" thing they you guys do. When we get to secondary school we get split into classes based on ability for those subjects such as i was in the Top english class the whole way through school and the bottom maths which suited me fine and i got the teaching i needed. theres no need for kids to be put in different schools based on ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottishGirl)
    no they dont! in scotland we dont have an 11+ test thank god i hear about it on the news and it seems so ridiculous to me. Scottish results are pretty good and we dont have this "seperation" thing they you guys do. When we get to secondary school we get split into classes based on ability for those subjects such as i was in the Top english class the whole way through school and the bottom maths which suited me fine and i got the teaching i needed. theres no need for kids to be put in different schools based on ability.

So you do get separated then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bently7)
    So you do get separated then?

yes , but what i mean is we're not all put into different schools like we dont have grammar schools which i think is better as it means we all mix with people of different abilities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamjar)
    I say we need more grammar schools in the state system. There is only 163 now and so very competitive to get in.
    Hell yes. i wish we had gramamr school where I live

ReputationRep:
    State comprehensive school all my life, and I got an offer from Imperial, so it ain't all bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackthomas1990)
    Actually, there is no research to suggest that splitting up abilities helps with people learning its just what people think will make sense so that is why it is used. Infact, here is research that suggest the opposite http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=20972112
    Oh come on, it's common sense. Why do we need research to backup what is essentially common knowledge. At one point in time there was no research to suggest heroin was addictive and it was openly prescribed for mild pain - it doesn't mean it isn't true.

Sticking people of hugely varied ability into one class were they have to learn - with one teacher - at speeds they are too advanced or incapable of = bad education system & good vote winner.

ReputationRep:
    Well you're still being separated - just instead of it being in different school it's a more watered down version. N. Ireland gets the best GCSE results every year in the UK thanks in no part to our tiered education system.

Also, just because you fail the 11+ doesn't mean you're failed. Loads of people transfer from secondary to grammar schools here - at A level about 25% of my year was people who transferred from secondary schools. If you fail the 11+ and don't succeed in secondary schools, the schools are specifically tailored to help you with vocational courses. Instead of trying to stuff useless qualifications down you're throat they'll send you on work placement with a local plumbing firm.

The 11+ works but it gets little support because today's liberal, tiptoe society doesn't like the idea of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cats_have_teats)
    My only real opinion is that single sex schools can seriously warp your self esteem.
    Er, how?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    private from infant to y11. now at a state 6th form. y10/y11 was about 10k a year so quite cheap.

ReputationRep:
    Where I live there's a state school which is forced to take in all the people from the council estates in its catchment area. Then there are grammar and public schools, all requiring entrance exams to get in, and monitoring your progress and if you do too badly, you're out.
    Guess who gets the best grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    Er, how?
    Er, just my experience.

The lack of male attention creates a heightened *****iness factor. Having a boyfriend is seen as some sort of holy grail. It's been a long time since I was in school though.

ReputationRep:
    I went state... Ok our school was no heaven but i recon i did pretty well out of it! i have 14 GCSE's all A*- B, not trying to boast about my gcse's im just stating that you dont have to go private to get good grades and anyhow people on here get like straight A*'s.. yeah and i have pretty good social skills? Im personally really thankful to my parents for putting me in state school even though i pleaded so much to go to private school where some of my friends were going after primary.

ReputationRep:
    yes , but what i mean is we're not all put into different schools like we dont have grammar schools which i think is better as it means we all mix with people of different abilities
    How can that be beneficial?

ReputationRep:
    Where I'm from, there aren't that many private schools or they aren't that well advertised. The stereotype used to be that only parents who can't cope with their children (bad behavior) or whose children don't make it in(to) grammar school send them to private school. However, this perception is changing because of the media hype about how "bad" the state education system is. In fact, more and more parents get together and found schools of their own (which would count as "private", I guess, although they do get some state funding).

I think a selective private school with well-behaved children who want to learn, big/beautiful grounds and lots of extracurriculars is probably better than the average state school.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.