Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to uni to start in 2010, and have been thinking for about a year now of going for Economics at somewhere like Cambridge or Warwick, but recently I've realised that what I really love is technical theatre and so am now going for drama schools like Guildhall and Mountview... and yes I do realise the different implications on my career of this choice!

Just wondering if anyone else had changed their mind like this, or is teetering between two such different things to do after 6th form?

ReputationRep:
    I'd wanted to do Law for years and had even chosen the five unis I was applying to. But then I decided a couple of months ago to apply for languages instead

Good for you though, you may as well do what makes you happy! It's better realising now than a year into your course after all.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to do medicine. For years and years all the way through high school it was always medicine medicine medicine. Then I took Psychology at AS and I have been completely converted. :P

I think that its good that you found what you really want to do as well. Better late than never right?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you ladies! Yeah, just had a heart-to-heart with ye olde parentes and have been convinced not to now as it limits me so much financially, so now just gonna go out into the world! Good luck with your degrees!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighSkies)
    I wanted to do medicine. For years and years all the way through high school it was always medicine medicine medicine. Then I took Psychology at AS and I have been completely converted. :P

I think that its good that you found what you really want to do as well. Better late than never right?
    My god, the whole freaking world and his dog has a psychology degree, do something original! What is it with psychology!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    My god, the whole freaking world and his dog has a psychology degree, do something original! What is it with psychology!?
    that's a tad harsh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morg)
    that's a tad harsh.
    Yeah it is. Appologies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Maybe she likes Psychology. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    thats not very nice....besides you could easily say the same about medicine tbh, people do what they like not whats "original"...honestly be a bit more mature.

ReputationRep:
    LOL everyones bagging out lekky....shame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Maybe she likes Psychology. :rolleyes:
    (Original post by Meenapixi)
    thats not very nice....besides you could easily say the same about medicine tbh, people do what they like not whats "original"...honestly be a bit more mature.
    I did just apologise. I am sorry, you must both be such perfect people that you never say something without thinking.

(Original post by Meenapixi)
    LOL everyones bagging out lekky....shame.
    I'm sure I can handle it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Why thank you. :rolleyes: I don't disagree with you though. However it appears my previous choice would be no more original than my current one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighSkies)
    Why thank you. :rolleyes: I don't disagree with you though. However it appears my previous choice would be no more original than my current one.
    My sis wants to do psychology and I'm having to bite my tounge, because having a goal has made her actually try for her A-levels. My main issue is that so many people are doing or have done psychology degrees now that it's difficult to get a job -- my friends have now graduated, 2 have done psychology degrees and both are complaining about how difficult it is. I know we're in a recession at the moment and that will change, but yeah the number of jobs due the vast amount of people studying psychology is my concern. That being said you're applying to top Uni's to do it with good grades so you'll be able to compete with the best. My two friends did not go to top unis, Haha. I think thats the difference, medicine = doctor = job, I kind of like that safety. But when I talk to my mum she always points out to me that doing a psychology degree does not mean you have to be a psychologist. I don't know much about psychology & don't pretend to, if you really like it thats great, do what you really like (i'm not complaining 1 less person I'm competing with for medical placement ). I just worry that there will be no jobs even in a few years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.