Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about joining this when I come to St. A's. Does anyone know of anyone at St. A's that is currently in it? Also does it take up much time outside of university? From what I gather from the website (its not very imformative) it looks like good fun. It would also be a good way to keep fit.

ReputationRep:
    looking for a potential job in the military in the future, looks like it could be worthwhile for that!

However, I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to be British to join?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fg08)
    Do you have to be British to join?
    Oh no I dont think so, just have to attend the university.

(Original post by DeadChicken)
    looking for a potential job in the military in the future, looks like it could be worthwhile for that!

However, I have no idea.
    Tayforth is split into 3 squadrons, A squadron is from St. Andrews university and apparently theres not many of us! I've watched some videos and it all looks like awesome fun

ReputationRep:
    I remember making a post about something to do with the OTC somewhere...don't know if it was relevant to what you're asking but I'll go see if I can hunt it out!

Edit

Nope, sorry I didn't really have anything useful to say (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...h#post17839194) but the OTC will be at Freshers Fair and I suspect it's probably quite competitive to get in.

ReputationRep:
    I have a few friends who are in it and they all seemed to love it. I don't know how competitive it is to get in, but all the people I know who tried out for it got in. (All I remember is that they had to run a mile or two in a certain time...). They have meetings once a week I think and I don't really know what they do at those. They also have fairly regular weekend trips away where they do the usual array of assault coursey, army training, thingies (I really don't know the full story haha!) and then during the intersemester breaks and at the start of June they go places for training too. :o:
    BUT, the one thing which they all love about the OTC is that they get paid to go on all the training trips- something like £37 a day. That's not bad, especially if you were on the 2 week training trip to Northern Ireland at the beginning of June! :yes:
    PLUS, they give you a sh**-load of free stuff! New trainers, boots, camping kit stuff etc...:p: Not bad.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise it was competative to get in.....obviously there must be a level that you must be above to be in it (I think thats what the mile run was for).

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I would loooove to join the OTC next year. Not quite sure I'm fit enough though, no-one knows the exact requirements do they?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know anyone in the Tayforth one, but I know someone who's in the Edinburgh one, I think it is quite tough, and I got the impression that you have to dedicate quite a lot of time to it, and they expect you to do the weekends away quite a bit, even if sometimes it means missing some lectures. And having deadlines etc is no excuse, you just have to fit that in as well...
    ...but you do get well paid, and it's meant to be great fun!!

I think one of my flatmates next year is very keen to start next semester! (it's her bf in the edinburgh one)

Good luck to yous if you go for it, sure you'll have a great time!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_c)
    I didn't know anyone in the Tayforth one, but I know someone who's in the Edinburgh one, I think it is quite tough, and I got the impression that you have to dedicate quite a lot of time to it, and they expect you to do the weekends away quite a bit, even if sometimes it means missing some lectures. And having deadlines etc is no excuse, you just have to fit that in as well...
    ...but you do get well paid, and it's meant to be great fun!!

I think one of my flatmates next year is very keen to start next semester! (it's her bf in the edinburgh one)

Good luck to yous if you go for it, sure you'll have a great time!!!
    Yeah, I got the impression you needed to dedicate a lot of time to it. But I didn't realise you get paid :confused: hmm guess I'll have to chat to them directly. Thanks Sophie ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    Yeah, I got the impression you needed to dedicate a lot of time to it. But I didn't realise you get paid :confused: hmm guess I'll have to chat to them directly. Thanks Sophie ^^
    Hmm well I'm pretty sure you get paid... I do remember Kirsten saying that Ben gets paid well for the weekends...

You're welcome

Edit: I just checked up, and yeh you do get paid, i think for the weekends that you do or something?
    This might be useful:
    http://www.army.mod.uk/UOTC/5458.aspx - OTC info
    http://www.army.mod.uk/UOTC/5487.aspx - Tayforth UOTC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie_c)
    Hmm well I'm pretty sure you get paid... I do remember Kirsten saying that Ben gets paid well for the weekends...

You're welcome

Edit: I just checked up, and yeh you do get paid, i think for the weekends that you do or something?
    This might be useful:
    http://www.army.mod.uk/UOTC/5458.aspx - OTC info
    http://www.army.mod.uk/UOTC/5487.aspx - Tayforth UOTC

Ahh thanks, I'm not looking to join the Army at the end of it...maybe the TA depending on things. Getting paid is an added bonus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    Ahh thanks, I'm not looking to join the Army at the end of it...maybe the TA depending on things. Getting paid is an added bonus
    Yeh, don't think any of the people I know doing it are interested in joining the army... my flatmate just thinks it sounds really good fun, good for fitness etc, and of course, the getting paid is nothing to be sniffed at! Haha! :P

Hope you enjoy it if you do end up joining!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, you do get paid... also I was having a chat with someone in it and he said that although there are drill nights every week and weekends away and such, you don't HAVE to go to them, so you can commit as much or as little time as you want...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_trixxx)
    Yep, you do get paid... also I was having a chat with someone in it and he said that although there are drill nights every week and weekends away and such, you don't HAVE to go to them, so you can commit as much or as little time as you want...
    Sweet, gonna deffo take alook then

ReputationRep:
    do you get paid for UOTC?? why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jupitersax)
    do you get paid for UOTC?? why?
    There are 'issues' over that at the moment. After being paid for time immemorial, officer cadets had their pay stopped last year and numbers slumped; I hear it has been recently reinstated however.

Why? Because you're a soldier. You've taken the Queen's shilling and pledged before your God to do your utmost to defend Crown and country. Even if that's not the day-to-day reality of it, you've submitted yourself to military law and service to the the monarch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    There are 'issues' over that at the moment. After being paid for time immemorial, officer cadets had their pay stopped last year and numbers slumped; I hear it has been recently reinstated however.

Why? Because you're a soldier. You've taken the Queen's shilling and pledged before your God to do your utmost to defend Crown and country. Even if that's not the day-to-day reality of it, you've submitted yourself to military law and service to the the monarch.
    I didn't think you would get paid as you're not really doing a job or 'defending crown and country' Are you? I mean I've been in the CCF for several years. My idea of the OTC was that it was just like cadets but for University students - obviously there's more involved and you have more freedom to get involved in stuff? Does the pay only come when you reach officer rank then? 2nd Lieutenant?

Please correct me if I'm wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jupitersax)
    I didn't think you would get paid as you're not really doing a job or 'defending crown and country' Are you? I mean I've been in the CCF for several years. My idea of the OTC was that it was just like cadets but for University students - obviously there's more involved and you have more freedom to get involved in stuff? Does the pay only come when you reach officer rank then? 2nd Lieutenant?

Please correct me if I'm wrong
    All Officer Cadets get paid (or did, but I think they now do again, as I said), regardless of rank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    All Officer Cadets get paid (or did, but I think they now do again, as I said), regardless of rank.
    Yes everyone gets paid again now, for most of the previous year only "instructors" were paid (i.e. 2Lts and JUOs - 3rd years up). For first years it is around £37 per day, £60 odd with a commission.

To answer someone else's question - you don't have to be British, just from the Commonwealth (like the regular army). There are a few people from Hong Kong, Barbados, SA in my unit. In joining the OTC you are technically joining the TA, but cannot get called up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.