Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been offered two jobs in public sector auditing. One at Deloitte, starting on £20k, and one at the City of London Corporation, starting on £26k.
    At Deloitte I could study for ACCA, where as at the City I would study for ACCA.

Obviously in monetary terms the City of London is better, but in the long term which job will prove to be the best choice?? Any thoughts? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Draw up a list of pros and cons of both jobs including:
    - Wages.
    - Location and travel costs/time.
    - Job satisfaction.
    - Long term prospects.

Can't help with the specifics of either company I'm afraid but that'd be my general advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCityDream)
    I've been offered two jobs in public sector auditing. One at Deloitte, starting on £20k, and one at the City of London Corporation, starting on £26k.
    At Deloitte I could study for ACCA, where as at the City I would study for ACCA.

Obviously in monetary terms the City of London is better, but in the long term which job will prove to be the best choice?? Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Just to clarify, should that be the ACA (i.e. the ICAEW's qualification) at Deloitte, and ACCA at the City of London?

ReputationRep:
    Oops, sorry! No, actually it is ACCA at Deloitte and IIA at the City of London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCityDream)
    Oops, sorry! No, actually it is ACCA at Deloitte and IIA at the City of London.
    you will need to be more accurate in the job!!

congrats on getting both offers though

Deloitte has the lower starting salary but both will even out over time

Personally I think deloitte would give you more career options in the long run and ACCA is more broad than IIA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 456789)
    you will need to be more accurate in the job!!

congrats on getting both offers though

Deloitte has the lower starting salary but both will even out over time

Personally I think deloitte would give you more career options in the long run and ACCA is more broad than IIA
    Both are trainee auditors in the public sector. Both let you study towards IIA but Deloitte provides the option of studying towards ACCA.
    In what ways do you think Deloitte would provide more career options? Do you think it's better to get the name of Deloitte on my CV even though it's less money?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think 1) it will give you the name of Deloitte which might open more doors in general accountancy/business jobs not in the public sector

also with deloitte you will work with more companies so get a different type of experience - the money will take care of itself just choose which option you think is best for you

ReputationRep:
    I am guessing Deloitte is also a much bigger company and so may offer better opportunities for progression? depends on what you plan to do in the future i guess

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.