Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've been living with Binge Eating Disorder for as long as I can remember. Never telling anyone about it. Never seeking help. Trying to convince myself I can control it. I can't. It's unbearable now. I just want to die.
    I have to go to the doctors sometime soon. I want to tell them but I know I'll chicken out. I've never been able to tell anyone before so it's unlikely a complete stranger would be easier. Even if I do tell them, what use will it be. I've heard about how the treatment for the common eating disorders isn't great, so it's probably non-existent for BED.

I want to die.

I tend to get a bit carried away with junk food unfortunately. I've decided if I don't have any I won't continue...

ReputationRep:
    You really do need to see your GP; 'isn't great' still beats nothing.

They'll probably offer counselling and maybe a support group, and both of these things can be very beneficial to some people. Either way, you need advice that you simply aren't going to be able to get on an internet forum.

Good luck

I'm exactly the same. Lately I've been controlling it a bit more by eating very low calorie things - ice pops are less than 1 calorie each, so I can easily eat 10 and not suffer any weight gain. Another food I use is sugar free jelly - a whole pack is just 60 calories.

Don't have any other solutions tbh, I'm still looking for a way out myself.

i used to binge eat like crazy out of depression and stress, but you really have to stop giving yourself the excuse, time and stress or whatever the reason you believe this behaviour roots from. so basically you might want to take up a hobby to keep your mind off, try exercises to give yourself endorphins and stop fretting about putting on weight just in case thats part of your binge eating trigger as it was for me. just let go off the food obsession by replacing it with something else more productive, less harmful.

ReputationRep:
    Find someone who knows what you're going through, or trust a friend. Then every time you feel yourself going to binge, text that person, or go to see them, or phone them or whatever, and chat with them until it's off your mind, or get them to tell you not to do it.

Sounds iffy, but it works for some.

ReputationRep:
    Lol 'chicken', I'm bloody hungry now!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You should see your GP because they will be able to discuss options with you. They might refer you for counselling, which would give you the time to talk to someone about your eating and may help you work out why you do it/how you can stop.
    They may have other options as well, such as seeing a dietician or prescribing medication - when I first went on Prozac it was partly because of my bulimia as it can sometimes help with urges to binge.

ReputationRep:
    I would advise taking it step by step. if you don't feel comfortable telling your GP straight away, start with someone you can trust. i.e. your mum. and then go from there. you can't expect yoursef to deal with it by yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Surely you just feel full and stop lol. Just have some fruit as a snack like I do.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Anonymous. I have had BED for 14 years and started treatment for it last year when it became really serious and completely out of control. I am getting a lot better and I know you can too. Please PM me if you would like more info or want to talk - there are some good services around.

Also ignore the people who are saying 'just eat less', 'surely you feel full', etc, they mean well but this a very difficult eating disorder for people to understand.

i know the secret.... try this. its a better option than your gp. i had bed for a long time. paul mckenna i can make you think. im not joking. it works....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been living with Binge Eating Disorder for as long as I can remember. Never telling anyone about it. Never seeking help. Trying to convince myself I can control it. I can't. It's unbearable now. I just want to die.
    I have to go to the doctors sometime soon. I want to tell them but I know I'll chicken out. I've never been able to tell anyone before so it's unlikely a complete stranger would be easier. Even if I do tell them, what use will it be. I've heard about how the treatment for the common eating disorders isn't great, so it's probably non-existent for BED.

I want to die.
    Binge Eating Disorder?

You must mean greed?

Problem: Shovelling large quantities of scoff down your cake hole
    Solution: Stop shovelling such big quantities of scoff down your cake hole and trying to blame a disorder for it, get some self control ffs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Binge Eating Disorder?

You must mean greed?

Problem: Shovelling large quantities of scoff down your cake hole
    Solution: Stop shovelling such big quantities of scoff down your cake hole and trying to blame a disorder for it, get some self control ffs!
    utter ignorance. what an insensitive thing to say. how dare you judge someone and call them greedy when you clearly have no idea of the surrounding issues, urges and feelings involved. BED is an illness. One that is incredibly difficult to cure, and this admittance an extremely difficult one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arctic.eyes)
    BED is an illness. One that is incredibly difficult to cure, and this admittance an extremely difficult one.
    Funny that, it isn't recognised!

All the symptoms are synonymous wit being a greedy fatty with no self control. How convenient to place a ‘Disorder’ tab on it to make out it is a medical condition.

ReputationRep:
    i know how you feel fat brotha!!

ReputationRep:
    What I find works is stopping when I've had too much. If your doctor will help you do that then go for it!

(Original post by Powerlifter)
    Funny that, it isn't recognised!

All the symptoms are synonymous wit being a greedy fatty with no self control. How convenient to place a ‘Disorder’ tab on it to make out it is a medical condition.
    I'm a size 10. I work out like crazy after cause I feel like crap. It is a medical condition. It is not possible for some-one with BED to just stop when they feel full. It has nothing to do with greed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binge_eating_disorder

ReputationRep:
    There really are some very ignorant people on here. Try beat.co.uk..website for eating disorders or somethingfishy.org. Good luck xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a size 10. I work out like crazy after cause I feel like crap. It is a medical condition. It is not possible for some-one with BED to just stop when they feel full. It has nothing to do with greed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binge_eating_disorder
    No it is not!!

A medical condition is where there is a "medical" reason for the condition such as bi polar where there is a chemical imbalance in the brain controllable only by ‘medication’

BED is a cognitive learnt behaviour and as such is not medical in the slightest!!!!

I love the ignorant this and that when these people are ignorant to what is bloomin what it the medical world.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.