Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Say you did History and Politics, Psychology and Criminology, etc.

Do employers and people in general view dual degrees as weak or even Mickey Mouse?

For a job that required no specific degree, which candidate would be favoured, if all things were equal:

Candidate A - 2:1 in History from Durham.
    Candidate B - 2:1 in History and Politics from Durham.

ReputationRep:
    PPE is a well respected course, as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    I hope not!

ReputationRep:
    That would be most unfortunate if true :/

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends on the combination. If it's a popular subject combined with a less popular one, some people might think you only did the Joint Honours because it was easier to get on. Generally, though, I don't think they're seen as weak. Although I don't know for sure because in my subject, you're usually expected to do Joint Honours of some kind.

(Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    Say you did History and Politics, Psychology and Criminology, etc.

Do employers and people in general view dual degrees as weak or even Mickey Mouse?
    my opinion:

depends on uni
    depends on course

i.e. there's no doubt a 1st from Oxford in PPE (not strictly a joint honours, but still) is better than a 3rd in Media Studies and Fine Art from an ex-poly.

it just depends really.

ReputationRep:
    They're not seen as weak unless you do one or two weak subjects, for example PPE would be fine, but Business and Tourism would be weak.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the people I have previously approached in Business have been very impressed with the Management and French degree that I do at Nottingham, but that's because languages are very sought after - I know recruitment managers who have told me I would be more sought after than someone doing just Management, so I suppose in my case it's untrue.

Personally, I've found doing a dual degree similar to doing a degree in Management and an entire degree in French simultaneously. My management mates say it's far more complicated than the work they do.

ReputationRep:
    See updated first post for scenario.

ReputationRep:
    No so long as you do well in it.

ReputationRep:
    Physics and Philosophy? Good or not do people think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerodos)
    Physics and Philosophy? Good or not do people think?
    Not as good as maths and philosophy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    For a job that required no specific degree, which candidate would be favoured, if all things were equal:

Candidate A - 2:1 in History from Durham.
    Candidate B - 2:1 in History and Politics from Durham.

No difference.

ReputationRep:
    Well Maths and Physics is hardly going to make you look stupid.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    A lot of people do dual degrees. Many universities make students do two subjects, at least in the first year.
    It does depend on the combination you do, but it can you that you have broader knowledge and different skills, depending on what you are studying.

ReputationRep:
    If it's two good subjects, no. If anything dual degrees are regarded positively as you have more transferable skills (the person above studying Management with French is an excellent example) and will arguably have had more work and have had to organise your time better etc, which is valued by employers.

ReputationRep:
    As I understand it, dual degrees can be a disadvantage if you want to do further study in one of the subjects; you may not have done enough modules in that subject to allow you do do a postgrad qualification in that subject
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    As I understand it, dual degrees can be a disadvantage if you want to do further study in one of the subjects; you may not have done enough modules in that subject to allow you do do a postgrad qualification in that subject
    Toxic Tears' post is particularly relevant when you're doing a subject such as psychology or law where having a "qualifying degree" can mean you advance quicker in your chosen profession upon graduation. Using myself as an example, if I went completely mad in the head and decided I wanted to become a solicitor , I'd have to do a one year law conversion course before doing an LPC because I majored in Politics and didn't take the modules necessary for a qualifying law degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    Not as good as maths and philosophy
    I'm upset now

ReputationRep:
    never heard of physics and philosophy being called mickey mouse...and i should hope not, im doing it lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.