Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreizhen)
    Well Maths and Physics is hardly going to make you look stupid.
    Here's hoping that's the case with me reading Mathematical Physics:p:

ReputationRep:
    Subject + a foreign language = pretty hardcore imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    As I understand it, dual degrees can be a disadvantage if you want to do further study in one of the subjects; you may not have done enough modules in that subject to allow you do do a postgrad qualification in that subject
    What the HECK.

I thought I'd be able to -lets say- do a MA History after finishing BA History&Literature.
    No matter what university..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No, joint honours degrees are not seen as weak or inferior to single honours degrees in any way, shape, or form.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Lindath)
    What the HECK.

I thought I'd be able to -lets say- do a MA History after finishing BA History&Literature.
    You more than likely will be able to. Your eligibility for postgraduate study will depend greatly on the universities in question and also the postgraduate course in question, but at a quick browse of a few MA History courses, you'll definitely be fine with a BA History & Literature.

(The few courses I looked at either said simply a degree or a degree in a relevant subject or a related field to history.)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Lindath)
    What the HECK.

In your particular situation you'll be fine to do an MA in History when you've finished your BA. People can sometimes come across a stumbling block to further study in either the "qualifying degree" situation I mentioned earlier, or if they've done two subjects in different fields. This is because some universities require you to have over 50% of your credits in a related subject to take a Masters. For example, if you took Law and Environmental Science, you'd probably have to major in Law to get a QLD but this might disqualify you from a MSc in Geology at some places that require over 50% in a science subject.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, they prove that you can achieve excellence in more than one subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    You more than likely will be able to. Your eligibility for postgraduate study will depend greatly on the universities in question and also the postgraduate course in question, but at a quick browse of a few MA History courses, you'll definitely be fine with a BA History & Literature.

(The few courses I looked at either said simply a degree or a degree in a relevant subject or a related field to history.)
    +

(Original post by jellybeanjen)
    In your particular situation you'll be fine to do an MA in History when you've finished your BA. People can sometimes come across a stumbling block to further study in either the "qualifying degree" situation I mentioned earlier, or if they've done two subjects in different fields. This is because some universities require you to have over 50% of your credits in a related subject to take a Masters. For example, if you took Law and Environmental Science, you'd probably have to major in Law to get a QLD but this might disqualify you from a MSc in Geology at some places that require over 50% in a science subject.

Thanks very much for your replies, I was just panicking :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    Personally, I've found doing a dual degree similar to doing a degree in Management and an entire degree in French simultaneously. My management mates say it's far more complicated than the work they do.
    I'm wanting to do a similar degree, but with Spanish rather than French.
    Is it a good course at Notts and is it really difficult if it's like doing 2 different degrees simultaneously?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.