Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm charting unknown territory here, lol.

Basically, to cut a long story short, I've needed to copy up some Maths notes for my N6 GCSE paper. I've copied my friend's notes, but she's missing some notes on income tax...I have a little bit on it, but I didn't understand it when we went over it in class, and now I can't find the notes, I'm even more confused! If someone could please try to explain it to me and/or perhaps make a set of notes on how to calculate income tax? I know it's a big ask, but it would be very much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Here are some past papers that might be useful.

http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/...&f=0&q=167&d=d

Although the specifications might mention tax calculations I think they will always give you the tax rates in any examination question.

Do you know your Specification Details?

(Original post by Catherine.)
    x
    Do you have a sample question or a list of what you need to know about income tax? Presumably you just need to know how to calculate income tax for the way it is structured in the UK?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You do not need to know the technicalities of Income Tax for this GCSE specification. All you need to know is how to calculate a percentage of another amount.

For example: 22% of £30,000 = 0.22 x 30000 = £6,600

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolya)
    Do you have a sample question or a list of what you need to know about income tax? Presumably you just need to know how to calculate income tax for the way it is structured in the UK?
    Both would be great, but a sample question would suffice!

(Original post by Mr M)
    You do not need to know the technicalities of Income Tax for this GCSE specification. All you need to know is how to calculate a percentage of another amount.
    I use the CCEA specification and I think it specifies that we do need to know the technicalities..

(Original post by steve2005)
    Here are some past papers that might be useful.

http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/...&f=0&q=167&d=d

Although the specifications might mention tax calculations I think they will always give you the tax rates in any examination question.

Do you know your Specification Details?
    The tax rates are OK, it's just applying them to the question that I find difficult.

ReputationRep:
    I think the following applies to N6

BUT I think teachers are supposed to cover this sort of stuff in class and that questions, if set, in examinations are fairly simple.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

I use the CCEA specification and I think it specifies that we do need to know the technicalities..
    No it doesn't.

"calculate with money; solve problems in the context of finance, [for example, currency exchange rates, profit and loss, discount, loans, current and deposit accounts, cheques, statements, lodgements and withdrawals, credit cards, hire purchase, general bank accounts including overdrafts, interest rates and mortgages, mail order sales, insurance, taxation, wages, salaries, unemployment benefit];
    Including VAT

Example: Determine weekly pay for a 37 ½ hour week at £4.265 per hour."

Edit: Steve is too quick for me!

I promise you don't need to know any details of rates or the mechanics of taxation at all. You just need to be able to read figures from a table and calculate with them.

I was asking if you have them available so that posters can give you appropriate help, not if you need them.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps, i was wrong.

Usually there aren't any complicated questions in GCSE on tax etc BUT it appears that Northern Ireland may be different.

http://www.rewardinglearning.org.uk/...x?docid=2251-2
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You don't need to know anything other than how to read a table, how to find a percentage of an amount and how to subtract.

Read pages 222 to 224 of the textbook:

http://books.google.com/books?id=b1N...age&q=&f=false

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help guys! Basically, my teacher went over it in class in early June, and she gave us really complicated questions, leading me to believe that I'd get similar sorts of questions in the N6!

&& Kolya, sorry for the misunderstanding!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.