Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can any medics help? Jaw Injury Watch

ReputationRep:
    I would be grateful for any advice

On Wednesday night i was elbowed in the face by accident, I didn't think much of it, until thursday morning when the side of my right face (including jaw,neck and ear) felt sore and bruised.

The pain has got progressively worse and I am now in excruciating pain when I eat or move my head. Plus the right side of my face is swollen and warm. I have taken painkillers to ease the pain.

My parents have gone away this morning so I am feeling extra vulnerable . I have e-mailed NHS direct but so far have had no response.

Does anyone (especially medics) have any idea what the injury is?
    Or what I should do?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Anybody?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds broken... go see a doctor!

ReputationRep:
    And you are coming on TSR rather than going to see a doctor because?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bax-man)
    And you are coming on TSR rather than going to see a doctor because?
    Because I don't want to roll up at A&E and waste their time when Im not sure whats wrong.
    I just wanted to a bit of advice and then I'd consider going tonight.

ReputationRep:
    take some ibuprofen if you havn't already, and try and ring NHS direct instead of email, or instead of A&E, nhs walk in centre

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    take some ibuprofen if you havn't already, and try and ring NHS direct instead of email, or instead of A&E, nhs walk in centre
    Thank you, I will do that now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by porcelainvodka)
    Thank you, I will do that now.

you're a notts girl too, theres a walk in centre by the BBC studios which is open till 10 tonight, if NOT NEMS is open 24hours, and may be worth seeing them, if you have any problems getting to a walk in centre PM me

ReputationRep:
    Because I don't want to roll up at A&E and waste their time when Im not sure whats wrong.
    I just wanted to a bit of advice and then I'd consider going tonight.
    no offense but no matter what when "excruciating pain" starts to kick in, that usually merits a visit to the hospital...

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    no offense but no matter what when "excruciating pain" starts to kick in, that usually merits a visit to the hospital...

:rolleyes:
    I knew there would be a smart arse somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    you're a notts girl too, theres a walk in centre by the BBC studios which is open till 10 tonight, if NOT NEMS is open 24hours, and may be worth seeing them, if you have any problems getting to a walk in centre PM me
    Thank you, I would but it's a bit inpractical to get there as I'm actually from Derby. I'm still on hold for NHS direct so I'm going to try and find some walk in centres in Derby.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I would but it's a bit inpractical to get there as I'm actually from Derby. I'm still on hold for NHS direct so I'm going to try and find some walk in centres in Derby.

keep on the line to NHS direct, im not 100% on derby i'm afraid

ReputationRep:
    I knew there would be a smart arse somewhere.
    :eek3: how the hell am i a smart ass, its just common sense?

ReputationRep:
    NHS Direct call back time is still at about four hours due to the swine flu, you're probably better off going to A&E

If its that bad I'd go to A&E rather than the walk in centre.
    Unless said walk in centres have X-rays and people qualified to look for mandibular f#, TMJ dysfunction and zygoma f#. Doubtful late on a friday...

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like Jaw failure. You're gonna need a Jaw transplant. You made a wise move letting us know, as we can now comeup with makeshift treatments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    Sounds like Jaw failure. You're gonna need a Jaw transplant. You made a wise move letting us know, as we can now comeup with makeshift treatments.
    Jaw Off please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Unless said walk in centres have X-rays and people qualified to look for mandibular f#, TMJ dysfunction and zygoma f#. Doubtful late on a friday...
    Jaw Off please
    The Dr. gives good advice :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)

Thank you for your advice, I went to a walk-in centre but it was closed, i feel a bit silly going to A & E on a friday night with all the drunks so Im gonna sleep on it and see how i feel tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a walk-in centre but it was closed
    Walk in centre's are pretty useless in my experience as a punter. Walked in with an ulcerated cut inside my lip and walked out with a verbal prescription for cod liver oil kindly provided by the nurse.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.