Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I had my "induction" at my local Spar shop today. Basically I didn't get any training, they just said ''here's a till, if you don't know anything ask someone" and i was left to figure it out for myself (taking into account there's not just the till, theres all the codes for loose fruit, cigs, alcohol, scratchcards and lottery (which need to be ID'd if the person looks under 25), PayPoint for electricity phone and gas bills, PayPoint for phone top-ups, oh and DVD rentals (which can only be issued to over 18's). I wasn't told what time I would be finishing and when I asked I was told I would be done at 5 (i'd been there since 12).

So I left and on my way home I looked at my hours I had been given earlier in the day (i was busy at the time so didn't get a good look at them). At the interview yesterday, I was told specifically by the manager that she only wanted someone for "5-11 hours a couple of evenings a week", this is what i got;

"Sunday: 8am - 1pm
    Tuesday: 7am-1pm (be here for 6:30 - I will be on my own as it's delivery day)
    Wednesday: 5pm - 10pm
    Thursday: 5pm - 9pm"

I'm starting College in August (she knows this) so won't be able to do these hours.

I know this may sound selfish to some of u cos i know how hard it is to get a job but i just feel that 19 and a half hours a week is too much for me (especially in my first week!).

What do people think i should do? My mum said i should talk to the manager and say that i don't feel comfortable doing this many hours and i was only expecting a couple of evenings a week.

Please help, i really dont wanna go back

ReputationRep:
    You need to discuss this with your manager, you just can't not go back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    You need to discuss this with your manager, you just can't not go back.
    But won't she say "It's the holidays - you have nothing better to do"

But that's not the point is it, she told me it would be 5-11 hours and she's given me something different...

ReputationRep:
    It happened to me when i first started my job, I was given the crappy long hours, after a while when you're no longer the 'new guy' then you can get better hours, just wait a while and see what happens, dont quit just yet, at least wait until you have another job or until you start college

ReputationRep:
    maybe stick it out for a few weeks and if your manager wont reduce your hours, maybe youll have to quit, but obv tell them why! u cant really just not turn up :/ and short term, maybe try asking your manager to clarify some things e.g. which codes to use, or ask your work colleagues? x

ReputationRep:
    Oh God. I hate it when places do this. Jobs are scarce dude so they probably feel a bit cockier when it comes to disregarding their staff's wants or needs. Sounds like they've well and truly thrown you in the deep end but it will get better. After a week you'll know all the things you need to know.. Just be prepared to make a bit of an douche of yourself in the meantime, but i'm sure the customers will sympathise if you say it's your first week. Don't panic, just be assertive and make sure your manager knows you need showing the ropes with regards to the dvds, paypoint cards and IDs. It's not your fault nobody showed you.

First couple of weeks in a new job is a pain for everyone though, you'll be OK.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, the word 'URGENT' in the thread title put me off, I must have misunderstood.

:sigh:

ReputationRep:
    She's probably got staff who are students on summer holiday who are all begging for full time. Yes, it was presumptious of her, but it might well be that she thinks she's doing you a favour. Having said that, she's obviously not in this case, so just discuss it with her and say that you accepted the job on the basis that it would be eleven hours a week. If she's a good manager, she'll have told you eleven hours because she's made plans based on having a space for an eleven hour person. She can't demand you do more if it's not what you agreed. Tell her you do not wish to exceed these hours even for the summer.

Talk to her, see if you can compromise, but ask her to ensure your time doesn't exceed eleven hours a week for the time being. Don't quit without trying to resolve it first, that'd be such a waste.

ReputationRep:
    How much does the SPAR pay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateasaurus)
    But won't she say "It's the holidays - you have nothing better to do"

But that's not the point is it, she told me it would be 5-11 hours and she's given me something different...
    Was it written in a contract what your hours would be?

ReputationRep:
    Tell them ur not happy with the hours.. its more than u expected and unable to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    Was it written in a contract what your hours would be?
    I don't know. I signed the contract today (the assistant manager asked me to sign a load of stuff whilst i was serving so i didnt read it (stupid i know)) So i'm not sure. What happens if it's not? Does that mean there's nothing i can do?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Stick it out. Things will get easier... and just you wait... pay day will feel awesome with that many hours!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    How much does the SPAR pay?
    £5.75 an hour

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. I signed the contract today (the assistant manager asked me to sign a load of stuff whilst i was serving so i didnt read it (stupid i know)) So i'm not sure. What happens if it's not? Does that mean there's nothing i can do?
    The worst that can happen is your contracted to do those hours. Speak to your manager when you can and try and discuss hours that are suitable, if you can't come to an arrangement you will just need to hand in your notice.

ReputationRep:
    maybe they are giving u loads of hours to get u used to the job quickly so your not the 'newbe' for a prolonged period

i remember my first ever shift was horrible aswell as i suspect everybodies is... stick with it it will get easier

ReputationRep:
    Have you signed a contract yet?
    If so, ask for a copy if you have not already received one. Look what it says under hours, if you have signed it, and it says that you are working more than 11 hours, then you need to have a word with your manager because you have signed to say that you are willing to work more than this. It can be seen that there was a spoken contract when your manager said you'd only be working 5 to 11 per week, however, technically this would be "overwritten", so to speak, when you signed the contract. Also, you'd need to prove it, which could be incredibly hard, if not impossible unless she admits to it or if there was a witness there.

If you have not signed a contract then, again, speak to your manager, because you have, technically, got a spoken contract.

It could be though that she was presuming that with it being the holidays, that you'd want the hours, or, equally, this could be your "training" time. So when you have gotten used to the job, the people etc. and you know what you're doing, you get your "planned" hours.

I wouldn't say quit, because like you said before, jobs appear to be scarce at the moment. Talk it over with your manager, and I would advise you to work the hours on your rota this week and say that in the next week you want your 5-11 hours. If not for the experience and training involved, but also getting to know the people you are working with, and if you drop hours, then someone else will have to pick up the slack, and it's not exactly the best first impression.

So have a word with your manager, and come back if she is being awkward, quote me, and I'll try and help you with what you can do next.

ReputationRep:
    Uh-oh. The next time you are in work, the very, very, very first thing you need to do is ask for a copy of that contract. They can NOT say no, so don't worry .

ReputationRep:
    Any news yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    Any news yet?
    I called my manager and told her about the hours and she said she can't change the hours right now cos its summer and a busy period and she needs the staff but when i start back at college it will only be a couple of nights a week

thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.