The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I dunno I'm scared of being seen as 'foreign' and that no English people will want to be good friends with me. :s-smilie:
wat
Reply 3
lol a significant portion of the student population aren't British. You shouldn't have a problem.
Reply 4
Missmeem
I dunno I'm scared of being seen as 'foreign' and that no English people will want to be good friends with me. :s-smilie:

I'd be friends with you. :cool:
Reply 5
i doubt it'll be dat bad ppl will avoid u but i doubt ppl will be actively seeking to be ur mate unless they r same ethnicity!
Reply 6
I'm asian. 95% of my friends are british. Owned.
Reply 7
punktopia
I'd be friends with you. :cool:

Ooh yay. :p:
Uni life is about as multi cultural as you can get I doubt anyone would have to sit on thier own at lunch.
Reply 9
Missmeem

I agree :ninja:
Missmeem

I highly doubt that will happen.There are so many internastional students which makes tghe place more interesting.You might also encounter a few inbreds who will think that they are better than you,just ignore them and tell them to **** *** back to their inbred caves.
Reply 11
Thing is I am brown and almost all my friends are white.
When I go to uni, I don't wan't to be stuck with my own race. I like a multicultural environment.
DrDé
Thing is I am brown and almost all my friends are white.
When I go to uni, I don't wan't to be stuck with my own race. I like a multicultural environment.

What a sell-out :p: So are you a coconut ?:biggrin: or are you a citizen of

the world ?I hope you take no offence,i was just joking. I too prefer a

multi-cultural environment.

Now lets spread peace and love to all races and faces,ai ?
Reply 13
if you have good english and arent religous or hold different cultural beliefs then you should be fine. i guess you just need to be like british to fit in...but a large portion are foreign so your hardly gonna be an outcast..

basically just tell everyone you love getting pissed, and everyone will like you!!
Reply 14
I talk to anyone especially when i see that there by themselves (in a non creepy way)
i hate being the one who is on there one.com

if you make the effort i'm sure you'll be find but there are some that will only talk to people of the same colour..that really pisses me off
Reply 15
I live in a pretty multicultural city and work for a retailer that's even more so, and I've found that so long as you can hold a conversation and show you've got thoughts and personality of your own, you'll be fine. People will pay more attention to that than what colour your skin is or the accent you have, and the differences between cultures can be pretty interesting. I always like finding out about my friend's reasons for coming to Britain and how different it is and things like that, and I don't look down on them for not being just like me. It'd be boring as hell if they were.

Edit: everyone will be as **** scared as you are, anyway :wink:
Reply 16
That is funny, I have lived in a small village for my whole life (almost 20ys now) and I know, let's say.. 4 foreigners? Which aren't foreigners because they have German citizenship, but they weren't born in Germany. (I don't count the netherlands as 'foreign', because I'm living a few metres away from the border and half my neighbors are from Holland.)
One is from Poland, one from Turkey, one from Russia aaaannd- one is actually from China. Chinese people are so rare here! :biggrin:

I have little experience with foreign people, I'm just curious how it's like to be around people who have different cultures, habits, languages, religions.. Maybe it won't even be any big deal, but for me, its something really rare :p:

Haha, a little cousin of me (nice girl!) started crying when she saw a black man for the first time in her life :biggrin:
(I guess 'black man' is not an offense? I'm sorry if I might offend anyone with this, that's not my intention)

Anyway, I'll try to avoid hanging out with German students too much; it's surely a nice thing that you have at least someone who speaks your native language, but that's just not the deal with studying abroad. It never occurred to me that people would actually search for students from their own country/language/whatever. ô.ô
Reply 17
Ehhhhh
I think you'll be fine if you want to mix with whatever people you want. Generally people don't give a damn about your ethnicity at uni, and are all too happy to become your friend. The people who segregate themselves tend to do so by their own admission, rather than from external pressure.

Latest

Trending

Trending