Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I left with a lot of questions after my induction today (silly I forgot to ask)

Basically, I have a training period of about a month where i'm contracted just 3.5 hours a week for 1 day a week. (turns out i'm doing more than that already next week)

Thing is, it was advertised as a weekend position, all day Saturday and Sunday... At the induction, some people got given 17.5 hour contracts, so why did I only get 3.5? I literally have no idea what is going on.

Am I gonna get more hours when my fixed-term "training contract" ends? I desperately need the money to help with uni costs, and with the amount I thought i'd be getting if I worked all day on the weekends was gonna pay for a car.

Gutted... Does anyone know what the usual weekend hours are at Argos? Anyone working for them atm? Thanks
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You should talk to your boss and ask why the hours you have been given aren't the ones advertised.
    Also, let them know you would like more hours if possible, even if it is only to cover when someone else is off.

ReputationRep:
    I would ring them up and have a chat with them to clear things up. You dont want to be wasting your time.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll get offered more hours after your training period because I don't think a company would train you for a month just for 4 hours a week or so. It is probably best to ask if you will be getting more hours in the near future though.

ReputationRep:
    How did you apply for this? Just go in ask at the desk and fill out an app or something?

ReputationRep:
    The way our store works is that your contract will have a minimum amount of hours, but then they will give you more hours and class it as overtime.

My contract used to be 1 hour a week, just so that the head office would allow me to stay. I in fact had around 17 hours work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.