The Student Room Group

Can i drink alcohol when on Oxytetracycline tablets?

Today i got prescribed Oxytetracycline tablets for my acne, its not really bad tbh but i want rid of it, iv read the leaflet though tried not to coz some of the possible side effects sound pretty brutal :/!! I hope they work anyway, but my main worry is can i drink alcohol when on these? It doesnt say anywhere in the leaflet i cant, but for some reason from snippets i have heard alcohol and antibiotics dont mix :/...?
Reply 1
I was on oxytetracycline for my acne for 2 years and still drank alcohol. It made me a lightweight, but never done me any harm.

But I dunno, it might be different for different people...
Reply 2
I never had any problems but as already mentioned these things vary from person to person. I'd say go for it, just pace yourself at first till you know if it affects you in any way (i.e tolerance etc).
Reply 3
thanks, il see how it goes, going on a hen night tomorrow night thats all, dont want to be the only one sober!
Holli2011
thanks, il see how it goes, going on a hen night tomorrow night thats all, dont want to be the only one sober!

It shouldnt be a problem if you were not told to avoid alcohol either on the lable or by the pharmacist.

Only 2 particular antibiotics can make people really ill, but sadly i cant remember the names :o:

Edit: checked BNF, it's ok to take that med with alcohol.
Reply 5
speedstacker
It shouldnt be a problem if you were not told to avoid alcohol either on the lable or by the pharmacist.

Only 2 particular antibiotics can make people really ill, but sadly i cant remember the names :o:

thank you that makes me feel loads better !!
Reply 6
Yes.
speedstacker

i think its metronidazole andddd something else
Subcutaneous
i think its metronidazole andddd something else

yeah it is. I dispensed it today, and was told to inform the patient!! Glad my wee brain remembered that:p: .
Reply 9
When I drank half a glass of vodka while being on Oxytetracycline I was being sick for three days. But maybe that's just me......
Is it THAT hard not to drink alcohol, or at least drink it in strict moderation?
Reply 11
G.J.Speight
Is it THAT hard not to drink alcohol, or at least drink it in strict moderation?

no, i was just wondering as im going on a hen night tonight and have only just started the tablets, i dont know what happens if you mix antibiotics and alcohol and im guessing its pretty bad so i just wanted to make sure i was safe having a drink or two, it doesnt mean i want to be a raving alcoholic!

Latest

Trending

Trending