Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I've been given an offer to do a PhD at Aston, and I intend to take it. I'm currently thinking about where I'm going to stay. Do many postgraduates stay on-campus? Or are they found more in the private halls?

Also, I'm a little concerned about getting lumped in with a bunch of freshers. Not that I dislike them, but I thunk they'd probably find me a bit boring as I imagine I'll be working quite hard and I've been through all of the "fresher stuff" before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadioElectric)
    Hello all,

I've been given an offer to do a PhD at Aston, and I intend to take it. I'm currently thinking about where I'm going to stay. Do many postgraduates stay on-campus? Or are they found more in the private halls?

Also, I'm a little concerned about getting lumped in with a bunch of freshers. Not that I dislike them, but I thunk they'd probably find me a bit boring as I imagine I'll be working quite hard and I've been through all of the "fresher stuff" before.
    I've known and still know a few post grads. It's been a complete mix- some of them got accomm off campus and some are on campus.

In theory they shouldn't do that. Usually they have designated floors or in the case of Lakeside, the entire left hand side of blocks for postgrads. There might be the odd case like with a friend of mine whose just finished first year, where she was in with postgrads because there was nowhere else for her to go. But I'd imagine that's quite rare.

ReputationRep:
    Lawrence short side is generally for post-grads as well. Also a couple of floors in stafford.

ReputationRep:
    I think it changes round each year doesn't it? With one tower being the fresher tower..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fightoffyourdemons)
    I think it changes round each year doesn't it? With one tower being the fresher tower..
    Mental:woo:

ReputationRep:
    Being in the fresher tower means lots of fire alarms

ReputationRep:
    Aha, by the looks of things if I go for Unite accommodation I can move in at the beginning of September. Internet seems to be included there too. Only thing is whether there's space left. They all say "limited availability" on the Unite site.

ReputationRep:
    Aha, by the looks of things if I go for Unite accommodation I can move in at the beginning of September. Internet seems to be included there too. Only thing is whether there's space left. They all say "limited availability" on the Unite site.
    A search at curzon gateway reveals around 217 rooms left

ReputationRep:
    "limited availability" is a marketing term

ReputationRep:
    Change of heart. Moving in to Unite accommodation means going there at the beginning of September. Long story short that costs me £600 before I've even got any money through from studentship yet (ouch). Lakeside it is

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they guarantee lakeside places to postgrad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    I don't think they guarantee lakeside places to postgrad?
    They've run out of them apparently, grrr...

It's annoying because I didn't get my acceptance letter through until last Thursday and I sent my reply off on Monday. I was also told that the deadline for applying for accomodation was the end of this week

I guess I'll go for Unite then.

ReputationRep:
    As a follow-up, I asked him about the deadline and got this...

The deadline for applications is the 7th, but we have had a number of Postgraduate students that have applied for Lakeside earlier with Unconditional Firm offers.

If we have an application of the system and the student has an Unconditional Firm offer then we will allocate them. It seems to have filled up very quickly this year I'm afraid.
    Annoying thing is that my offer was "unconditional firm", my letter just took a while because of an administrative delay.

Any opinions on Curzon Gateway vs. The Heights?

ReputationRep:
    As a follow-up, I asked him about the deadline and got this...

Annoying thing is that my offer was "unconditional firm", my letter just took a while because of an administrative delay.

Any opinions on Curzon Gateway vs. The Heights?
    Well The Heights is closer but then Curzon is newer. Other than that I don't know of any differences other than possibly a slight change in the layout of the rooms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Well The Heights is closer but then Curzon is newer. Other than that I don't know of any differences other than possibly a slight change in the layout of the rooms.
    On the Unite site it says Curzon beds are 3/4 size. For Heights it just mentions "big beds" in the write-up. Do you know if the Heights beds are also 3/4?

ReputationRep:
    On the Unite site it says Curzon beds are 3/4 size. For Heights it just mentions "big beds" in the write-up. Do you know if the Heights beds are also 3/4?
    From what I remember going to my friend's room a few months ago I think they're single.

ReputationRep:
    My curzon bed isn't single, it's closer to a double. Mines a premium though, who apparently have slightly bigger beds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    My curzon bed isn't single, it's closer to a double. Mines a premium though, who apparently have slightly bigger beds
    I thought Curzon ones were bigger and that the ones in the Heights are basically the same as Lakeside but I'm not too sure.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the rep Hope it works out ok!

ReputationRep:
    Had a look around Curzon Gateway and The Heights yesterday (had issues finding the proper reception for The Heights though).

Curzon seemed nicer to me. It's a bit further away and seems to be in a bit of a run-down area but I prefer the open feeling. I also found out that rooms at Curzon and The Heights cost the same, so I'm going to book mine at Curzon on Monday. I'll probably stay for next summer as well, they have a deal so you get 8 weeks for the price of 2 then.

I'll probably see if they can put me in a mixed sex flat with other postgrads. I'm hoping to meet some other PhD students for a bit of extra support.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.