Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadioElectric)
    Had a look around Curzon Gateway and The Heights yesterday (had issues finding the proper reception for The Heights though).

Curzon seemed nicer to me. It's a bit further away and seems to be in a bit of a run-down area but I prefer the open feeling. I also found out that rooms at Curzon and The Heights cost the same, so I'm going to book mine at Curzon on Monday. I'll probably stay for next summer as well, they have a deal so you get 8 weeks for the price of 2 then.

I'll probably see if they can put me in a mixed sex flat with other postgrads. I'm hoping to meet some other PhD students for a bit of extra support.
    Good luck I always get lost in the Heights. Been stuck in there a few times!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Good luck I always get lost in the Heights. Been stuck in there a few times!
    It wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't have a bit of a go at them on the phone for having nobody there to meet me. To be fair though, there was no obvious way to get to the real reception. In the end I had to get in through the gate for cars... with a broken intercom.

"I'm sorry, I still can't hear a word you're saying. Just come through to reception."

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't have a bit of a go at them on the phone for having nobody there to meet me. To be fair though, there was no obvious way to get to the real reception. In the end I had to get in through the gate for cars... with a broken intercom.

"I'm sorry, I still can't hear a word you're saying. Just come through to reception."
    Had the same thing. Got told to come to reception and I'd be shown around. I was walking around for ages trying to find out how to get in and I went through that gate as well.

ReputationRep:
    Had the same thing. Got told to come to reception and I'd be shown around. I was walking around for ages trying to find out how to get in and I went through that gate as well.
    They told me they were planning to move reception to near the gym. Guess it'd make sense. Place seems a bit like a fortress at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    They told me they were planning to move reception to near the gym. Guess it'd make sense. Place seems a bit like a fortress at the moment.
    Haha it does!

ReputationRep:
    Booked my room in Curzon Gateway this morning. They couldn't find me any flats with postgrads that weren't women who didn't want to live with men. I'm in a 6-room now which I think has two third-years so far.

It's annoying that I have to pay for the 10-month contract in 8 monthly installments though. I'm going to be a bit broke for the first eight months and then not paying rent for the last two :confused:.

ReputationRep:
    Booked my room in Curzon Gateway this morning. They couldn't find me any flats with postgrads that weren't women who didn't want to live with men. I'm in a 6-room now which I think has two third-years so far.

It's annoying that I have to pay for the 10-month contract in 8 monthly installments though. I'm going to be a bit broke for the first eight months and then not paying rent for the last two :confused:.
    Evil postgrads! I find mixed sex a nicer and friendlier atmosphere.

Did they tell you that? I'm just wondering as Lakeside did installments but I paid mine in one go.

ReputationRep:
    They charge you extra if you do the 8 instalments :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smtn)
    They charge you extra if you do the 8 instalments :/
    Extra £99 in total. I can't afford to pay any other way so I guess it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Extra £99 in total. I can't afford to pay any other way so I guess it's worth it.
    How is it worth it if you get charged more?

ReputationRep:
    How is it worth it if you get charged more?
    It's a convenience charge, in that it's more convenient that I have someplace to live. The payment schedule for my stipend (monthly) means I wouldn't be able to it all pay up-front, or in just 3 installments.

ReputationRep:
    It's a convenience charge, in that it's more convenient that I have someplace to live. The payment schedule for my stipend (monthly) means I wouldn't be able to it all pay up-front, or in just 3 installments.
    Ok. It just seems a bit odd that you're going for the more expensive option.

ReputationRep:
    He has no choice if he physically doesn't have the amount of money needed for the term payments at that point in time

ReputationRep:
    Ok. It just seems a bit odd that you're going for the more expensive option.
    You must be misunderstanding me. I'd save money by paying in advance but it would mean I'd need thousands of pounds when I simply don't have them.

ReputationRep:
    As a follow-up, I asked him about the deadline and got this...

Annoying thing is that my offer was "unconditional firm", my letter just took a while because of an administrative delay.

Any opinions on Curzon Gateway vs. The Heights?

Defo Curzon Gateway....Tiz much beta.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taaniieee)
    Defo Curzon Gateway....Tiz much beta.
    Cool, that's what I went for in the end.

I had a quick peek at your profile, I think you're the first female Frank Zappa fan I've ever heard of!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.