Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

For the last two and a half months my sister has been ignoring me.
    She came back from uni for her birthday a few months ago and we ended up having an argument over how much she has changed since she’s been back at uni. She has developed an attitude towards everyone including our mum which she never had before she moved away, and frequently speaks to us all as if we are stupid and not worth her time.
    Since then she has been back to uni for a total of two weeks and is now home on her summer holiday. We both have to live together at least until September when she goes back for her third year, but she is making things nearly impossible.
    I don’t know what I can do to change things either. She refuses to acknowledge my existence and when I try to speak to her I will usually get short answers (and only when she absolutely has to) or none at all. She rolls her eyes and has a general bored look on her face when I am speaking, and has taken to leaving the room and going upstairs when it’s just me and her in the house.
    I really don’t know what to do to make things better. I thought she was just angry with me about what I said to her during our argument, but according to my parents and a conversation I overheard between her and my mum, she is now angry about things that happened ten years ago that I cannot change.
    She also told my dad that if I wasn’t her sister then she would have nothing to do with me. I really don’t know how to sort this out and I don’t know how to approach her about this as she is the most stubborn person I know. She cut off all her old friends from school when she moved away to uni and did not speak to my dad for nearly four months when he moved out. So I know she is capable of keeping this up indefinitely.

Any advice would be appreciated as I really don’t want to lose her, but I suppose this is more of a rant than anything, so thank you for reading.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    wow, sounds pretty crappy, tbh I wouldn't bother trying to speak to her, just leave her to get over herself - theres not alot you can do!

I never used to bother talking to my brother cos he never had anything nice to say, so leaving things well alone is actually probs better for you in the long run!

sorry can't really give more advice than that. x

ReputationRep:
    you'll get alot of general advice from people who aren't in your situaton. It's easier said than done. I haven't spoken to my sister for going on 4 years over something that happened on christmas when I was 15. She cut all ties with me, my mum & dad and my 2 other sisters and no-one even knows where she is now as she changed address, phone number etc. She has her own house though so it's not like I have to face her like you do with your sister.

I'd say try and resolve w/e issues you have before it's too late tbh. If she's stubborn then you have to be persistent. Just don't sit bac and expect her to grow out of it because stubborn people don't. Experience.

ReputationRep:
    People change. :dontknow:

Hey, thanks for all the advice.

I would like to say that my parents have tried to help us sort this out, talking to her repeatedly but she just has a rant about how much she hates me for various reasons and then says she doesn't want to talk about it. She always ends with the fact that no one can make her speak to me, which is true. So we end up back in the same situation.

I just keep thinking about what will happen if we never sort this out. She goes back to uni in September and if we haven't worked it out by then, she could just carry this on indefinitely

I appreciate all the advice from people in similar situations, I just never thought this would happen between me and my sister. We were never really close but we could always go out and have fun and get along.

.. Oh and Newest first? I get that people change. I do. But I don't think this is fair behaviour and I really believe that she wouldn't be the way she is now without the influence of the girls she lives with at uni.

ReputationRep:
    give her a slap

ReputationRep:
    -------------------------

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.