Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    By that I mean atleast 30 minutes commute away.

I'm a London boy and I have been so for a very long time. I've been to Slough which funnily isn't has bad as people think it is. It's WORSE!

However my exposure to areas outside London has been limited. Been to Milton Kenyes and Nottingham for a day and didn't see much to make my mind up.

How do you guys feel about all the focus that London gets nationally and internationally. For many UK = London. Is it rural up there? More quite? More Chavs? More white?

Also looking at statistics. London contributes more the United Kingdom then Scotland,Wales or Northern Ireland in terms of population and size of the economy. Are these places more poor? There are many areas in London that are poor and very rich but I would say most places are kind of in the middle. Also what is up with the accent? Some people up north have accents that I just can't understand.

ReputationRep:
    lol! ^ The UK is made up of much more than simply the capital! Maybe you should experience the other main cities ie. Edinburgh, Liverpool, Manchester etc

ReputationRep:
    If only you knew what you sound like. If only you knew.

ReputationRep:
    I live in the South West of England, namely Torquay, Devon. Nothing ever happens here, no bands come to play anything south of Bristol generally, no government cash ever gets spent down here because it's not important so we're still waiting on projects 30 years overdue. When you tell people where your from they just look at you with a blank face and theres absolutely nothing to do for people between 18-35.

Yeah it's great.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone does live outside of London, do they? Not anyone important, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    The real world is what happens outside of London, dear OP, the real world.

I didn't really think there were people so clouded by the smog...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Oh, it's horrible. I live in a mud village, we get up every morning at 5 to go down to the water pump. Every so often a man on a horse and cart comes and brings us some news of what's happened in the Great Capital, and our hearts all yearn, and we all pray to the spirits that some great fortune will shine on us and give us a chance to move there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melz0r)
    Oh, it's horrible. I live in a mud village, we get up every morning at 5 to go down to the water pump. Every so often a man on a horse and cart comes and brings us some news of what's happened in the Great Capital, and our hearts all yearn, and we all pray to the spirits that some great fortune will shine on us and give us a chance to move there.
    Best post ever

ReputationRep:
    You need to get out more.

ReputationRep:
    You have a pump?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    You have a pump?
    Yes, we looted it from the next village. Sometimes I feel bad, but we do what we have to to survive.

ReputationRep:
    From my experience, you NEED a car outside of London.

ReputationRep:
    The funniest reply I've seen in a very, very, very long time. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Your brain will shear in 20 places.

Thats actually exactly what village life in bangladesh is like :p:

ReputationRep:
    Up here in the very depts of the North we've only just been introduced to electricity, just as well really, I was really beginning to damage my eyes by reading by candlelight all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Sneaking suspicion that OP is taking the mick...
    but yes, there is life outside of London. The people that inevitably will name drop are being silly - for every Middlesbrough up here, there's a Slough down there...personally I love it up here: what little money I have goes a lot further, and I can't think of many places down sarf where I can be in Town/National Park within 15mins. I also love London, though that too is definitely a marmite thing.

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heir-Head)
    Up here in the very depts of the North we've only just been introduced to electricity, just as well really, I was really beginning to damage my eyes by reading by candlelight all the time.
    They have books up north :eek3:

Big cities outside London are a lot like mini Londons in my experience.

ReputationRep:
    As a Londoner, who has lived outside of London, places outside of London are more close-knit and welcoming. London can be down right cold

ReputationRep:
    "Hey, listen guy. You don't know my story. Alright?"

"Yeah."

"My--my mother raised me. And my grandmother raised me."

"Right."

"But we would wake up every day and we had no money. We had no water."

"Uh huh."

"You know--you know what we used for water?"

"Urine. I don't know. What?"

"Tears."

"Tears?"

"OK? The tears of my family. That's what we had to drink 'cause we
    had no money."

"So you would milk your grandmother, like she's some kind of
    tearcow."

"You don't understand our culture, man."

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.