Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melz0r)
    Oh, it's horrible. I live in a mud village, we get up every morning at 5 to go down to the water pump. Every so often a man on a horse and cart comes and brings us some news of what's happened in the Great Capital, and our hearts all yearn, and we all pray to the spirits that some great fortune will shine on us and give us a chance to move there.
    Yes, but in return of this great news he takes our wives and daughters :sad:. It's a small price to pay though for what he is offering.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, it's horrible. I live in a mud village, we get up every morning at 5 to go down to the water pump. Every so often a man on a horse and cart comes and brings us some news of what's happened in the Great Capital, and our hearts all yearn, and we all pray to the spirits that some great fortune will shine on us and give us a chance to move there.
    lmao, amazing!!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    really? i go there at least 3 or 4 times a year minimum usually and people i know who have lived there all their lives have the same feeling.

its also a fact that people are a lot more detached there, partly due to fear or crime IMO
    I lived in London for four years and I never heard anyone express a fear of crime due to living in London, or felt it myself, even when I was living in the pits of East London.

I can only imagine someone being scared of crime in London if they've never been to a big city before in their life.

ReputationRep:
    oh dear God I didn't think there was a Londoner more ignorant than me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    I lived in London for four years and I never heard anyone express a fear of crime due to living in London, or felt it myself, even when I was living in the pits of East London.

I can only imagine someone being scared of crime in London if they've never been to a big city before in their life.
    you telling me that when you went o nthe tube you never got that feeling of detachment? why do you thin kthat is?

-------
    The political debate over crime in London is skewed by the fact that although the drop in crime has been sustained - as it has in the rest of the country - the fear of crime, especially of violent crime, is far higher than in the rest of the country.

The British Crime Survey figures show that 28% of Londoners say they are very worried about violent crime compared with a national average of 17%.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...5/crime.london

ReputationRep:
    Basically, in Edinburgh we just sit in our wooden huts crying about how far away from London we are. If anyone makes a journey to the wonderful land that is London they become a sort of mini-celebrity to us...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactus kid :))
    Basically, in Edinburgh we just sit in our wooden huts crying about how far away from London we are. If anyone makes a journey to the wonderful land that is London they become a sort of mini-celebrity to us...
    That sounds like Trainspotting...

ReputationRep:
    London isn't that great. It's a good city to be in but you only have to have experienced a few other capitals (as in lived/worked/studied) to realise that there are plenty of things in London that are much better elsewhere. London strikes a good balance but as a 20-something single, I know plenty of other cities where I've enjoyed living/studying far more: Berlin, Montreal, San Francisco...

What I find amusing are the Londoners who genuinely believe that their city is some kind of international metropolis way above every other city in the world. They especially maintain this belief when they've never lived anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    barren wilderness.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    you telling me that when you went o nthe tube you never got that feeling of detachment? why do you thin kthat is?
    No, I don't know what 'that feeling of detachment' is or what it has to do with a 'fear of crime'.

Have you never been to any big city other than London? :confused: I don't see how London is any different from any other big city in terms of crime or friendliness or 'detachment'. I imagine all this London-phobia is really just big-city-phobia from people who have never really strayed from small towns.

ReputationRep:
    You know, outside of London, we don't even have roads. They just turn into dirt tracks all the way up north. Luckily, I live in York, where we have trains which go to London nearly every hour. This makes up for us living completely cut off from the world and the uk (cos of course UK = LONDON DURRRR!!!). We have nothing other that sheep and cows.... and chickens.

Best troll EVER!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    That sounds like Trainspotting...
    Well you see, we are all addicted to heroin in Edinburgh because we're so upset about not living in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cactus kid :))
    Well you see, we are all addicted to heroin in Edinburgh because we're so upset about not living in London.
    Yeah and you go to Peter Mullen to get your supply of the stuff.

crap

ReputationRep:
    Britney Spears said 'what's up London?' at a concert in Manchester. Says it all really. :yep:

funny you should say as probably Canning Town in E.London isnt far from this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stettin)
    By that I mean atleast 30 minutes commute away.

I'm a London boy and I have been so for a very long time. I've been to Slough which funnily isn't has bad as people think it is. It's WORSE!

However my exposure to areas outside London has been limited. Been to Milton Kenyes and Nottingham for a day and didn't see much to make my mind up.

How do you guys feel about all the focus that London gets nationally and internationally. For many UK = London. Is it rural up there? More quite? More Chavs? More white?

Also looking at statistics. London contributes more the United Kingdom then Scotland,Wales or Northern Ireland in terms of population and size of the economy. Are these places more poor? There are many areas in London that are poor and very rich but I would say most places are kind of in the middle. Also what is up with the accent? Some people up north have accents that I just can't understand.
    Ok, I'm going to dive straight in and give you an honest answer:

You are thick, and your question is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    What? Come on, nobody here is that ignorant..

ReputationRep:
    London is smoggy and over-populated.

Lovely for a day out, but unless you live in a multi-million pound home in Chelsea, then most of it is ghettoish.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Tonbridge, so about 40 minutes commute away. Its greener.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.