Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I like to think that the North is just like it's depicted in Shameless. Lot's of poor people with bad accents. I meet people from Newcastle. They all seem to be a bunch of chavs though wearing tracksuit has normal clothes. Horrible accent.

Meet a girl from Liverpool. Couldn't understand what the hell she said.

Maybe the government should force non-southerners to learn RP so that whenever they leave their home regions everyone can understand them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stettin)
    Some people up north have accents that I just can't understand.
    Some people down south have accents I can't understand (just like some people). Do you find a strong West Country accent harder to understand that a Tyke, Scouse or Geordie?

Maybe you should visit these places? It's impossible to say what it's like to live outside London as there's a big country out there with huge variation. Living in some small fishing village in Dumfries and Galloway (that's in SW Scotland) is not the same as living in the centre of Birmingham. Living in the extreme north of Scotland isn't the same as living in Liverpool. Living in a market town in the Peak District (Glossop, for example) isn't the same as living in Leeds.

Of course, compared to London most of the country will seem less built up. Manchester, Birmingham, Bristol, Newcastle (taking into account the wider Tyneside conurbation), Liverpool/Merseyside, Leeds...all still in or around the top ten. But you don't need to travel far outside these cities to find a variety of countryside unlike London. Within up to two hours of Newcastle there's a National Park in every direction, or coast of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Sheffield has the Peak District on its doorstep. Manchester's not exactly far from the Lake District and close to the Peaks. But the cities are undeniable large and urban.

Every city in the UK has still managed to retain its own unique identity and spirit. Newcastle is an infectious city with some quite grand Neo-classical architecture and a flourishing arts and science sector. Liverpool's a proud city with majestic Victorian architecture and arts scene, not to mention great musical heritage. Manchester ("the London of the north" - although I detest that phrase and I'm sure most Mancunians do also).

(Original post by Stettin)
    I like to think that the North is just like it's depicted in Shameless. Lot's of poor people with bad accents. I meet people from Newcastle. They all seem to be a bunch of chavs though wearing tracksuit has normal clothes. Horrible accent.?
    Maybe you shouldn't stereotype an entire city (or half the country) based on a few people and a fictional television show (which is a comedy and based on exaggerated stereotypes).

Meet a girl from Liverpool. Couldn't understand what the hell she said.

Maybe the government should force non-southerners to learn RP so that whenever they leave their home regions everyone can understand them?[/QUOTE]

Or maybe you're just having a larf. Maybe I should check out the what's it like to live in London thread. Is that full of similar stereotypes? :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.