Turn on thread page Beta

Do you assist your parents with.... watch

ReputationRep:
    important phonecalls, phone line bills, forms, benefits, letters, etc?

ReputationRep:
    For some reason yes, I seem to always help with finances and phoning companies etc. I don't really know why though when it's their accounts.

ReputationRep:
    I used to when I lived at home.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    For some reason yes, I seem to always help with finances and phoning companies etc. I don't really know why though when it's their accounts.
    Did you always struggle in knowing what to do with benefits and forms? Or knowing what to say to staff members in phonecalls?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they would trust me to do that.
    :p:

I do a lot of my dads paperwork for him. H'es got a bloody doctorate yet can't fill out a simple form. and I 'help' my mun fill out forms because ' I don't know... I'm Confused' when all its asking for is write you name in this box...

my god you should see it when we fill out student finance! it takes about 4 hours and about 20 arguments.

I do quite a lot for my parents with administration kinda stuff, if we were s business I'd definitely be the operations director.

ReputationRep:
    Phonecalls - yes. Everything else - no.

ReputationRep:
    nnnnnnoooooooooooooo, my mums buisness is her buisness, if i answer the home phone, fair enough i'll pass the message on but im not doing anything else

plus i dont live at home anymore

ReputationRep:
    I've never done any of this stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildStriker)
    Did you always struggle in knowing what to do with benefits and forms? Or knowing what to say to staff members in phonecalls?
    Not really, that's why I usually do them. With phone calls I am fairly confident as I work in a call centre and as I work for a utility company I understand most bills. If there is anything I don't understand I will look on the internet until I find out.

ReputationRep:
    When they call BT to sort out bills and problems with the line, i ignore them and let them suffer the torture of trying to figure out what the technical support person from India is trying to say. I tried it once and vowed never to talk to BT tech support again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen angel9)
    I've never done any of this stuff.
    Lucky you. You don't get to humiluate yourself and make yourself sound like an idiot by not knowing what to say to people taking your calls whenever you are making phonecalls on behalf of your parents.

ReputationRep:
    No. My mum does most of that, and our accountant does the rest.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I get a lot of phone calls from my brother, sister and even her boyfriend to ask for help with forms, find phone numbers, email people and other random crap.

They must think I am some sort of Civil Service person, free of charge.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes, with my parents, if you need something doing its easier and more reliable to get it done yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'm a live-in PA.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    No, I am not their secretary.

ReputationRep:
    I only live at home a few months a year, so no I don't, nor did I when I lived here permenantly.

Only things I do is when dad's agency rings, I take a message or tell them to contact him via mobile.

To be honest, even though Im a student I've got enough admin stuff to deal with myself (arguing with letting agents, utilities, annoying call centres (no offence to anyone) etc.)

ReputationRep:
    it does my head in tbh.
    generally no but people feel like theyre free to fill me in and i really dont want to know

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.