Turn on thread page Beta

I dislike my family, and friends. watch

I've been pondering over this for a while now in my head, and I just think there is noone I can turn to in my family. I'm not one to whine or do the "pity call", but it's just so unbearable.

I live in the house with my dad. Out of all of them, I'd have to say I hate him the most. He expects me to do all his house work, the cooking, the cleaning and everything for him. I do try and do as much as I can, but I've got summer homework to do as well. So, he comes in and demands why the house isn't sparkling like a country manor, and then shouts at me and just makes me feel so down. He's also very irritable, and every time he snaps at me...he likes to put me down and stuff. He treats me like a burden, and claims I get "this" and "that", when I don't really ask for anything at all. Gawd, we don't even have any hot water/heating in the house.

My mum is still married to by dad, but she lives away from home (long story). She never has time for her kids, it's always work work work. And, the worst bit is, she is really fashion/looks obsessed. She makes me very self conscious in public, she says stuff like "You look like a pig when you do that." "That skirt makes you look a bit prudish" "Why couldn't you dress more like your sister?" "Dress like that, and you'll never get a boyfriend". I'm ugly, and I can accept that, I don't need reminded everyday. She even had be get my ears pinned back when I was 6, because they looked too big apparently. My gran (Who died last year) said that she was being utterly selfish and horrible.

My sister, tbf, is one of the most vindictive *****es I have ever met. She's crude, condensing, plastic and just an overall *****. She bullies me to get what she wants, and blackmails and stuff. She steals my things. I just hate her.

My friends have begun to turn on me too, she's being acting really fake with me, and gossiping behind my back and stuff, but I'm more or less above that. It's just not nice when the person you're supposed to trust does that.

I just feel miserable. I know they give me food & shelter (and I'm grateful for that), but somethings like love can't be shown by materialistic things, you know?

I just dunno what to do, or who to turn to. The rest of my family don't really want to get involved with us, so I'm kinda screwed there. I've tried speaking to them about it, but they just laugh and tell me to get over it.

Any tips on what I should do?

ReputationRep:
    Be agressive and stand up for yourself, He doesn't sound like a decent man your dad, if he expects you to do the housework why? Tell him to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been pondering over this for a while now in my head, and I just think there is noone I can turn to in my family. I'm not one to whine or do the "pity call", but it's just so unbearable.

I live in the house with my dad. Out of all of them, I'd have to say I hate him the most. He expects me to do all his house work, the cooking, the cleaning and everything for him. I do try and do as much as I can, but I've got summer homework to do as well. So, he comes in and demands why the house isn't sparkling like a country manor, and then shouts at me and just makes me feel so down. He's also very irritable, and every time he snaps at me...he likes to put me down and stuff. He treats me like a burden, and claims I get "this" and "that", when I don't really ask for anything at all. Gawd, we don't even have any hot water/heating in the house.

My mum is still married to by dad, but she lives away from home (long story). She never has time for her kids, it's always work work work. And, the worst bit is, she is really fashion/looks obsessed. She makes me very self conscious in public, she says stuff like "You look like a pig when you do that." "That skirt makes you look a bit prudish" "Why couldn't you dress more like your sister?" "Dress like that, and you'll never get a boyfriend". I'm ugly, and I can accept that, I don't need reminded everyday. She even had be get my ears pinned back when I was 6, because they looked too big apparently. My gran (Who died last year) said that she was being utterly selfish and horrible.

My sister, tbf, is one of the most vindictive *****es I have ever met. She's crude, condensing, plastic and just an overall *****. She bullies me to get what she wants, and blackmails and stuff. She steals my things. I just hate her.

My friends have begun to turn on me too, she's being acting really fake with me, and gossiping behind my back and stuff, but I'm more or less above that. It's just not nice when the person you're supposed to trust does that.

I just feel miserable. I know they give me food & shelter (and I'm grateful for that), but somethings like love can't be shown by materialistic things, you know?

I just dunno what to do, or who to turn to. The rest of my family don't really want to get involved with us, so I'm kinda screwed there. I've tried speaking to them about it, but they just laugh and tell me to get over it.

Any tips on what I should do?
    You're family sounds similar to my partner's family. How old are you? I think the best thing would be for you to move out as soon as you're old enough and able (maybe to Uni?) and then your relationship with them will probably improve, since they won't take you for granted or see you as a skivvy anymore.

ReputationRep:
    My friends have begun to turn on me too, she's being acting really fake with me, and gossiping behind my back and stuff, but I'm more or less above that. It's just not nice when the person you're supposed to trust does that
    Find new friends. There's the saying that you can't choose your family but you can choose your friends, and if your friends aren't all that great then you have nobody to talk to if your family are that bad (no offence of course). Pick yourself some better company at least as some relief from the grief your family give you.

she says stuff like "You look like a pig when you do that." "That skirt makes you look a bit prudish" "Why couldn't you dress more like your sister?" "Dress like that, and you'll never get a boyfriend".
    Ignore those sorts of comments from your mother. They are very uncalled for, and nasty things for a parent to say to her child. Just brush them off and pay no attention. Better yet, stick up for yourself then your family won't treat you like such a pushover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megadeath999)
    Find new friends. There's the saying that you can't choose your family but you can choose your friends, and if your friends aren't all that great then you have nobody to talk to if your family are that bad (no offence of course). Pick yourself some better company at least as some relief from the grief your family give you.

Ignore those sorts of comments from your mother. They are very uncalled for, and nasty things for a parent to say to her child. Just brush them off and pay no attention. Better yet, stick up for yourself then your family won't treat you like such a pushover.
    Some excellent advice there.

It wouldn't surprise me, OP, if your mother is jealous of you and that's why she's saying what she is. It doesn't matter how well she dresses, how uptodate she is - you have things she will NEVER have again - your youth, your freedom, a life still overflowing with possibility.

And leave home as soon as you can. You are not your father's skivvy.

My advice - get the hell out mate. As soon as your 'family' start treating you like that, you know for sure it's only gonna get worse. You only have one life, don't waste it somewhere where people are not respecting you!!

ED: I've had personal experience, and I should have just left before it got to the point where the police became involved.

I'm only 16, but yes, I plan to go to uni, and get a job after that. I just feel so miserable and bitter towards them now, and it's starting to take affect on my life as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    I'm only 16, but yes, I plan to go to uni, and get a job after that. I just feel so miserable and bitter towards them now, and it's starting to take affect on my life as a whole.
    I still say get out. there are shelters you can go to, or if you have friends/other family you could stay with.

if not, just make sure you don't let them ruin your life. Stay sane and keep your self respect and strength until you can leave. That sort of environment is not good for you, and could so easily damage you for life. :console:

ReputationRep:
    Run. see how they cope without you.

ReputationRep:
    how are you living without hotwater? Why dont you have hotwater in the house?

the hot water boiler is broken, and has been for 3 years...and he hasnt bothered to get it fixed.

ReputationRep:
    find something to do in the summer so you meet new people and spend time away from your family, i had an argument with my good friend and certain things were said that made me rethink our relationship, and now i play sport nearlty everyday so one he's a bored prick and two i'm meeting loads of new poeple who've been inviting me out with them

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.