Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Basically, I'm at a non-target uni, doing a vocational course and am heavily considering dropping out/ changing course.

I want to pursue a career in IB, I feel the city and finance is where I am most suited.

Having 3A's at A-level (History, Biology and Chem), I averaged 65% over my first year at uni. I think that I am unable to pursue an Economics degree because of my A-levles (to my knowledge, may be wrong?!). So I am considering either History, Government, Economic History...at a target Uni preferably LSE, but I know how competitive these places are.

Would such a course put me in good stead for moving into the IB world as a graduate, assuming relative experience and achievement was made?

Many thanks, as quite a lot hinges on this decision!

ReputationRep:
    Since loads of people have passed this thread by, I'll offer what little knowledge I have (and in the process will surely get straightened by one of the resident IB posters):

I don't think you could undertake an Economics degree since you don't have A-level Maths (not a BSc at a top 15 university anyway). What university are you at now? That's quite an important question since you need to weigh the rep of that university in IB against those which you hope to get into (and decide if it's really a wise investment of time/money). You can enter certain roles in IB with the aforementioned degrees (not the quant roles though). Someone else may be able to pick out which one of those three would be the best (Econ History sounds the most relevant, but the odd person from all three disciplines have made it from the sounds of it).

If you're reapplying you'll want to try both LSE and Oxbridge. The trouble is, even a top applicant faces a likelihood of being rejected from both. If your 'non-target' university isn't a million miles away from the likes of Imp, Warwick, UCL, than it may not be a prudent choice to leave and start again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninety_nine)
    Since loads of people have passed this thread by, I'll offer what little knowledge I have (and in the process will surely get straightened by one of the resident IB posters):

I don't think you could undertake an Economics degree since you don't have A-level Maths (not a BSc at a top 15 university anyway). What university are you at now? That's quite an important question since you need to weigh the rep of that university in IB against those which you hope to get into (and decide if it's really a wise investment of time/money). You can enter certain roles in IB with the aforementioned degrees (not the quant roles though). Someone else may be able to pick out which one of those three would be the best (Econ History sounds the most relevant, but the odd person from all three disciplines have made it from the sounds of it).

If you're reapplying you'll want to try both LSE and Oxbridge. The trouble is, even a top applicant faces a likelihood of being rejected from both. If your 'non-target' university isn't a million miles away from the likes of Imp, Warwick, UCL, than it may not be a prudent choice to leave and start again.
    Thanks for the reply.

At the moment I'm really contemplating changing. I'm currently studying a degree as vocational as it gets (Dentistry), and I just can't see myself doing it anymore. OK the money can be good, but the dynamics of the city and markets are much more alluring to me. For me to get on I have to pretty much change course (and Uni). I feel like a bit of an idiot even posting in the IB board based on my current degree, and over the last few weeks have read a great deal around the subject and am currently trying to arrange some work experience.

I'm pretty sure the degrees i listed have the credentials to land a FO job in most fields except quants.

ReputationRep:
    Stick with Dentistry, try to get an internship of some sort in finance and see if its really for you. I dont know you or your motivations but I do know that a lot of people seem to think that everyone in IB is making 6 figures and a 'multiple' bonus. The reality is much different, and the fact is that a lot of the work will be tedious and boring and you might end up regretting the decision, especially when you see friends of yours making 6 figures as a dentist with a private set-up working their own hours. I know you will probably reply saying that 'the dynamics of the city and such' but be honest about why you are looking to get in. If its really for the money and status, find out the reality before jumping in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianGretzky99)
    Stick with Dentistry, try to get an internship of some sort in finance and see if its really for you. I dont know you or your motivations but I do know that a lot of people seem to think that everyone in IB is making 6 figures and a 'multiple' bonus. The reality is much different, and the fact is that a lot of the work will be tedious and boring and you might end up regretting the decision, especially when you see friends of yours making 6 figures as a dentist with a private set-up working their own hours. I know you will probably reply saying that 'the dynamics of the city and such' but be honest about why you are looking to get in. If its really for the money and status, find out the reality before jumping in.
    As opposed to the barrel of laughs that is dentistry?

ReputationRep:
    How old are you? If you're nearing 21 it might be an idea to study for Maths/FM in your spare time and then apply to the top Unis as a mature student - they generally relax their entry criteria significantly for students aged 21+, and if you have a Maths background in addition to your current academic record then they couldn't turn you down.

Also, is there an option to do some sort of intercalated degree with Dentistry, similar to Medicine?

ReputationRep:
    You'd have a lot of explaining to do in an interview if you were a dentistry grad. IMO if you know for certain you don't want to be a Dentist, just drop the hell out and do something else. What's the point in a degree that's only good for one career route if it's not the route you want to take?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LegallyBlonde2.0)
    Aim for Cambridge, I will help you, you will get in. All the applicants I helped got in.
    Chat

ReputationRep:
    Aim for Cambridge, I will help you, you will get in. All the applicants I helped got in.
    I can vouch for that. If was TVU for me untill you came along.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies. agree with much of what has been said, i'd rather drop out change course and be taken seriously than just waste my time further along in my life. I'm 19, and am mulling this over quite seriously, dropping out wouldn't effectively put me too far behind the competition as some have taken gap years, worked etc. however, i;d probably only drop out if i had an offer from a top target uni e.g. Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, maybe Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianGretzky99)
    But it is about the money.that's what drives most people in banking

ReputationRep:
    You are a god.
    You helped me get into a PhD in Croton-citro Studies at Cambridge while I was still doing my AS. Thank you.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for getting me into Cambridge to study Bakery Studies. Really helped and now I can learn how to make perfect bread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wazzup)
    But it is about the money.that's what drives most people in banking
    Hmmm...money in dentistry can be great if you own a few private practices and do the cosmetic stuff...however, it doesn't excite me much atm, whereas finance, particularly markets and trading really seem to. Plus I find the lifestyle appealing.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.