Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am in Year 12 and I am really confused about applications and courses.
    I want to read medicine at university and I want to apply to UCL,Imperial, Kings and another uni (which i haven't yet thought about:confused: )

However, if I don't get into medicine (highly likely) I would like to apply for english, mainly at the same universities (excluding imperial obviously.) Can I still apply to these unis for the english course or do I have to take a year out? Do I have to apply again after the medicine deadline (15th October)>
    I'm really confused, please can someone help...

(Original post by hazu121)
    Hi,
    I want to read medicine at university and I want to apply to UCL,Imperial, Kings and another uni (which i haven't yet thought about:confused: )

However, if I don't get into medicine (highly likely) I would like to apply for english, mainly at the same universities (excluding imperial obviously.) Can I still apply to these unis for the english course or do I have to take a year out? Do I have to apply again after the medicine deadline (15th October)>
    If hypothetically you were rejected by all your Medicine choices and you did not want to go on your non-medicine 5th choice then to go to uni straight after year 13 then you would need to apply to English through Clearing. I'm not entirely sure but I think that UCL, Kings or Imperial wouldn't be in clearing for English (due to being highly competitive) which would mean you would have to re-apply the next year and take a gap year.

You could apply for English as your 5th choice but that might be risky...I didn't apply for medicine so I don't no anything about that.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I want to read medicine at university and I want to apply to UCL,Imperial, Kings and another uni (which i haven't yet thought about )

You have to apply by 15 October if you are applying for Medicine, but you don't have to include the fifth choice at that point. You can add that choice any time up until 15 January for equal consideration.

The problem you will have is sounding convincing as an applicant for English (a highly competitive subject for which multiple rejections are common) with a medicine PS. Although you can ask to submit a separate PS direct to the uni concerned, they will still see what you wrote for Medicine. I believe there was someone who tried this last year - for UCL IIRC - and was rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    You have to apply by 15 October if you are applying for Medicine, but you don't have to include the fifth choice at that point. You can add that choice any time up until 15 January for equal consideration.

The problem you will have is sounding convincing as an applicant for English (a highly competitive subject for which multiple rejections are common) with a medicine PS. Although you can ask to submit a separate PS direct to the uni concerned, they will still see what you wrote for Medicine. I believe there was someone who tried this last year - for UCL IIRC - and was rejected.
    Is english as competitve as medicine?

ReputationRep:
    It's one of the most popular courses, so it's very, very competitive at the top unis. Even having AAAA predictions won't mean that you can be pretty sure of having a place.

ReputationRep:
    Is english as competitve as medicine?
    Yes, as are history, law, and economics, if you are applying to the top unis. As angelmxxx says, people with AAA predictions can struggle to get offers. If you were thinking it was an easy option, forget it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.