Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lamotrigine/lamictal. Epilepsy drugs. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been told by my doc that i should start taking lamotrigine/lamictal soon, but that its my decision and I should look into it for myself so i make a well informed decision.
    I know theres lots of info out there but i would like a real person to tell me their experiences on lamotrigine/lamictal.
    x

ReputationRep:
    hey there, my girlfriend has been on lamotrogine for about 2 years now, and she says she's never had any side effects, but it can make you put on weight (as soes Epilim). The tablets act differently for the different types of Epilepsy and the person, which syndrome do you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshp1407)
    hey there, my girlfriend has been on lamotrogine for about 2 years now, and she says she's never had any side effects, but it can make you put on weight (as soes Epilim). The tablets act differently for the different types of Epilepsy and the person, which syndrome do you have?
    Hey there, I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet but I shall explain the situation as it stands.
    Had two seizures, one in june 07 and one in april 09. Have had eeg, ecg and brain scans but nothing has shown up. But I have been told by my neurologist that i have a 50-70% chance of having another seizure.
    I have another eeg booked for august 4th which my neuro is trying to get changed into a sleep deprivation eeg as he has concerns.

ReputationRep:
    ah right, well i don't think you need to worry about the lamotrigine, g/f has never had any issues with the tablet, and i've just looked at the side effects at shes never had them

ReputationRep:
    did they make her aware of the issue about pregnancy? i havent actually found that bit online yet, surprisingly.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think i've ever heard about lamotrigine with regards pregnancy dangers? i know that Epilim is the biggest concern about that. I know that she would have to come off epilim if you wanted to have kids. its different for everyone though, neurologist is probably the best to speak to about that

ReputationRep:
    mine told me that there is a slighly higher chance of having an unhealthy baby when on lamotrigine. I can't remember how the baby is different, but i think he was saying it as a warning that if i accidentally fell pregnant, as many people do.
    i haven't even thought about having kids yet, but yea i'd think i'd have to come off the meds if i started them.

ReputationRep:
    yeah that could be right, but i wouldn't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindrop87)
    mine told me that there is a slighly higher chance of having an unhealthy baby when on lamotrigine. I can't remember how the baby is different, but i think he was saying it as a warning that if i accidentally fell pregnant, as many people do.
    i haven't even thought about having kids yet, but yea i'd think i'd have to come off the meds if i started them.
    Your pharmacist may be able to tell you about the pregnancy bit and how it will affect you.
    Are you on epilepsy meds at the mo?
    Sorry I can't help more but i'm on Tegretol for my eopilepsy.

ReputationRep:
    Lamotrigine is found in breast milk; however whether it crosses the placenta is still debated.

Therefore it is discouraged in pregnancy, but the benefits generally outweigh the risks.

And yes, common side effects can include and not be limited to; headaches, dizziness and insomnia.
    Other side effects may include acne and skin irritation, vivid dreams or nightmares, night sweats, body aches and cramps, muscle aches, dry mouth, fatigue, memory and cognitive problems, irritability, weight changes, hair loss, changes in libido, frequent urination, & nausea.

It is an effective drug, and if it will benefit you directly, then under guidance from your GP, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have had epilepsy since I was 4, 21 now. Whilst trying to control it, I tried lamotrigine, but it wasn't for me. It made me from size 12 to size 16 and my family and friends said I just wasn't with it, as if I was in a world of my own.

But everybody reacts differently to medication.

If you want to PM, feel free got loads of years experience of epilepsy under my belt (its controlled now )

Good Luck xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Im on lamictal - it does have its side effects for me. Made me in a complete world of my own - it kinda felt as if i was getting high everytime i took them - not that id ever got high but its how i imagen it would be. I did feel tired all of the time and i got these funny twitchy things everytime i increased my dose. But the side effects stopped after a few weeks of increasing the dose.

I did put on alot of weight but then when they added keppra to the mix ive lost it all and more. I have to say though the side effects of keppra were far greater than those of the lamotrigine. But then again thats just me everyones different.

ReputationRep:
    It really does seem like I'm just gonna have to see what effects i get as everyone seems different

ReputationRep:
    I'm on keppra so can't be of too much help. I suffered from the common side effects of 'keppra rage' while adjusting to the medication but it subsided and my friends and family would agree i'm completely back to how I was before. Like you said, each person and each drug for that matter is different. RE pregnancy, ask your neurologist. My medication, whilst new, has been shown to have no side effects on the small population of those who've given birth on keppra. Another question may be on birth control as well. Initially I was on Tegretol Retard (which I was allergic to) but they told me if I was to go on the pill I had to go on one that doubled the progesterone in order for it to be effective. Again though, these are all things your neurologist SHOULD talk to you about PM me if you like!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raindrop87)
    I have been told by my doc that i should start taking lamotrigine/lamictal soon, but that its my decision and I should look into it for myself so i make a well informed decision.
    I know theres lots of info out there but i would like a real person to tell me their experiences on lamotrigine/lamictal.
    x
    I've been on lamotrigine since i was 3 (im now 18). The only things that bother me about it is that taking the contraceptive pill is something i'd stay away from as not only does the drug make the pill less effective but the pill makes lamotrigine less effective and you have to start mucking around with increasing dosage and stuff which i think is too big a risk imo, but thats a decision you can make yourself. Obviously you can't take some medication as well for example Codeine which is also annoying.
    Also, the dissolvable version of lamotrigine tastes disgusting which was frustrating when i couldn't take pills but if you can then it's fine.
    You can PM me if you want x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.